PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 641 Comment 0
ALA_5350

20200405_WOR.jpg

Salesian Brother reflects on the GC28 experience

By Salesian Brother Alphonse Vu
Delegate for Youth Ministry (SUO province)

San Francisco USA, 4 April 2020 -- It has been a little over two weeks since I returned from the General Chapter and this past Sunday marked the last day of my 14-day life in quarantine. Those quiet days of seclusion allowed me to take time to unpack my experience of the Chapter and reflect. It seems so surreal that only a few weeks ago I was living at the heart of our Salesian charism and for a month I was immersed in conversations that was carrying the Salesian Congregation forward. So much has changed in the course of a few weeks— not only at the Chapter, but the whole world.

We are living in unpredictable times. In a matter of days, our schools had to adapt to a whole new way of educating. Youth ministry programs had to sort out how to minister to the young on new platforms. The daily breaking news of what is happening all over the world made this uncertainty a growing, dismal reality. As a Church we were confronted with how to still remain the Body of Christ despite not being able to gather physically to worship. This change is real and it has impacted every facet of our lives.

Yet in these changing times, one thing is for certain—God’s presence and action. This notion was very evident in our conversations at the Chapter. As we struggled to articulate how to move the congregation forward and respond to the question: what kind of Salesian for the young people today, it was clear that we have been on a journey. This process of deepening our Salesian identity and mission has been the roadmap for the past 40 years, if not more. The underlying thread in this journey is how God has been active in and through many Salesians, both professed religious and lay mission partners. More importantly, is how God has been revealed in the lives of our young people.

While there will not be an official document from General Chapter 28 like there has been in past General Chapters, there are a collection of messages, conversations, and reflections from every corner of the world, including that of the Rector Major and our Holy Father, Pope Francis. I am sure sometime in the future a compendium of all of those writings will be published and made public, but in the meantime, what comes out of GC28, at least for me, is a greater desire to live un-apologetically full of hope and a passion for Jesus Christ. Together with my brother Salesians, along with the many lay people who share our Salesian mission, and “accepting that we are immersed in a moment of change, with all the uncertainty coming along with that” as Pope Francis shared, we become for the young what we have always been called to be: signs and bearers of God’s love, and to also recognize that God awaits us in the lives of our young people.

The coming weeks and perhaps months will no doubt challenge us and we will have to discern the best ways to accompany one another, but we are encouraged to take on with greater zeal “the Valdocco option” that Pope Francis proposed to GC28. We make a greater and profound choice TO BE MORE SALESIAN by being examples of what it means to be a Eucharistic community rooted in the love and mercy of Christ, to not lose sight of our mission: keeping the young at the center of all that we do, to embody a family spirit that leads to an encounter with Christ, and to commit to educating and evangelizing a world so that mercy and hope will transform every kind of poverty, injustice, disease, and even virus.

We entrust to Mary, our Help, the needs of our young people and the world. We pray that the experience of GC28 may penetrate our hearts and inspire us to become more authentic and credible Salesians in this ever changing world.

NB: From the 'IN TOUCH' (Western province of the USA) weekly newsletter (April 2, 2020). Br. Alphonse (Al) Vu is of Vietnamese origin, current member of the Provincial Council and Youth Ministry Delegate (SUO province), elected already for the second time as General Chapter delegate (GC27 and GC28).

20200405_WOR0.jpg

20200405_WOR1.jpg

20200405_WOR2.jpg

20200405_WOR3.jpg

20200405_WOR4.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5893(I)_Witness of a Polish missionary volunteer in Mongolia

Ulanbaataar Don Bosco, Mongolia, 12 November 2022 -- I am Patrycja Szwabowicz, a Salesian missionary volunteer from Poland. Our voluntary service is dedicated to helping mission countries in various ways. We send volunteers to mission count...
    Date2022.11.15 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views399 file
    Read More
  2. 5892(V)_Understanding the Digital Space

EAO Joint meeting of Social Communication & Formation Delegates By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDBV and Fr. Anthony Nguyen, SDB Photos: Kittimasak Suwomg Thailand, Bangkok 10 November 2022 -- The delegates of Social Communications and Formatio...
    Date2022.11.12 Reply0 Views312 file
    Read More
  3. 5892(IV)_Fr. Miguel Angel Garcia Morcuende, SDB - General Councillor for Youth Ministry in Vietnam

Visitation to Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Vocational Educative and Pastoral Community By Viet SC Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 12 November 2022 -- On Sunday, November 6, 2022, the aspirants of Don Bosco Xuan Hiep had the honor to welcome Father Miguel...
    Date2022.11.12 Reply0 Views412 file
    Read More
  4. 5892(III)_All saints Day in Hamamatsu 2022

Hamamatsu - Japan, 12 November 2022 -- Every year, the Solemnity of All Saints is celebrated on the first of November. It was instituted to honour all of the saints, both known and unknown. This year, for pastoral reasons, the Brazilian com...
    Date2022.11.12 Reply0 Views431 file
    Read More
  5. 5892(II)_DBSTC Students visit Pauanda Hydro Power Station

By Justin Yaneke & Elizabeth Brian (Writers Club) Kumgi, PNG, 10 November 2022 -- On Wednesday, 2 November 2022, the 3rd year Electrical students from Don Bosco Simbu Technical College, Kumgi, went on a 3-hour drive on the renovated hig...
    Date2022.11.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views428 file
    Read More
  6. 5892(I)_FABC 50 anniversary website highlights Darkhan parish

Justin Yaneke & Elizabeth Brian (Writers Club) Mary Help of Christians Parish, Darkan Mongolia, 11 November 2022 -- The ever first FABC (Federation of Asian Bishops) General Conference held in Bangkok, Thailand, October 12-29, brings a ...
    Date2022.11.12 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views661 file
    Read More
  7. 5891(II)_Joint Meeting of Social Communication & Formation Delegates of the EAO Region

ANS – Bangkok, Thailand 9 November 2022 -- The four day joint meeting of the delegates of Social Communication and Formation of the East Asia – Oceania region began this morning, at the Hua Hin retreat centre in the presence of ...
    Date2022.11.10 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1004 file
    Read More
  8. 5891(I)_300 Youth For Mary Revived After Two Years

ADMA Youth Camp By Patrina Kaboanga Port Moresby, PNG, 10 Nov 2022 -- “Do everything through love, nothing through constraint” the Salesian 2022 Strenna, was adopted as the theme for the 300 Youth for Mary Camp, held in Don Bosc...
    Date2022.11.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views452 file
    Read More
  9. 5890(IV)_Salesian Mission Day 2022: Communicating Christ today through the Social Media

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 09 November 2022 -- “The social media has allowed people to stay connected globally, empower each of us to update each other what is happening in our lives, share powerf...
    Date2022.11.09 Reply1 Views432 file
    Read More
  10. 5890(III)_Rector Major from Valdocco to AustraLasia Silver Jubilee

Valdocco, Turin, 9 November 2022 -- Fr Ángel F. Artime, the tenth successor of Don Bosco shares his message of appreciation, gratitude and encouragement on the 25th anniversary of the EAO regional service 'AustraLasia news' t...
    Date2022.11.09 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views531 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 533 Next
/ 533