PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 574 Comment 0
ALA_5401

20200616_PGS.jpg

Honouring the past, celebrating the present, envisioning the future

By Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb and Rosemary Yambune

Araimiri, Gulf Province, PNG, 16 June 2020 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco have celebrated four decades of Salesian presence in Papua New Guinea on 13 and 14 June 2020 in Araimiri, Gulf Province. ‘Honouring the past, celebrating the present, envisioning the future’, was the theme for the 40th Anniversary celebration.

A Solemn Thanksgiving Eucharistic mass was presided over by Bp Peter Baquero sdb, the Bishop of Kerema while students of Don Bosco Araimiri Secondary School and parishioners led the melodious liturgy.

Araimiri remains the place where the first Salesian missionaries implanted the Salesian charism on Melanesian soil. In his homily Bp Baquero urged the congregation to recognize the presence of God in Araimiri and most importantly follow the footprints of Don Bosco in their life and all that they do.

Eight Salesian priests five of whom journeyed across the country to represent the entire province joined in the celebration also present during the occasion were Salesian brothers, Salesian sisters, Caritas sisters, Missionary sisters of the Immaculate, Canossian sisters, members of the Salesian family, past pupils, students and friends, all sat under the chapel , built by Fr Valeriano Barbero sdb, a pioneer of the mission.

The second part of the commemoration ceremony had lively entertainment items which had songs, dances and a skit that depicted the arrival of the first missionaries. Speeches from Salesians and pioneer students spoke of gratitude for gifts received while the report from the school principal highlighted the achievements of the students amidst the difficult situation of the institution. “It was a simple program to pay homage to God, and his instruments on earth, to make the four decades challenging and fruit-bearing,” said Fr Dominic Kachira sdb.

The atmosphere was filled with a spirt of joy and happiness exuding gratitude for dedication and commitment of the past four decades. “The COVID-19 pandemic restricted preparations, limited the number attending the festivities and kept the celebrations to ourselves,” said Fr Pankaj Xalxo sdb, Rector as he addressed the gathering and thanked the Lord for the 40 years of presence in Araimiri. “The celebrations have spurred my missionary zeal,” said a joyful Sr Carmencita Rodriguez fma, who rode an open truck for 7 hours to be at the celebration.

This historic landmark celebration recalled the establishment of the first Salesian presence in Papua New Guinea. Guided by the Holy Spirit Abp Virgil Copas invited Fr Jose Carbonell sdb, Provincial of the North Philippines province, to establish a missionary presence at Araimiri. Together with Fr Provincial, pioneer Salesians missionaries, Fr Valeriano Barbero, Father Rolando Fernandez and Salesian coadjutor Joseph Kramar set foot on Araimiri on 14thJune 1980. Being traditionally welcomed by the people the Salesian Mission work for the poor and the marginalized commenced in Papua New Guinea.

In a recorded voice message Fr Valeriano Barbero reflected with gratitude on the 40 years, since their arrival on 14 June 1980. He thanked God and our Blessed Mother for dreams and miracles and the rising of Don Bosco’s family in Papua New Guinea. Recalling a personal sharing he reminded each Salesian not to be foreigners, but one with the people. Fr Valeriano concluded asking for prayers for his speedy return to Papua New Guinea.

On behalf of the Governor Hon. Chris Haiveta, Mr Emmanuel Xavier, Provincial Administrator handed over to Fr Pankaj Xalxo, Rector a contribution for the running of the school.

The next day, 14 June 2020, at the Holy Spirit Cathedral, Kerema, Bp Pedro Baquero sdb offered his Eucharist as thanksgiving for the presence of Don Bosco in the Diocese of Kerema.

Comments from different people:

“Don Bosco taught us carpentry and metal work and we helped built the classrooms, chapel and dormitory. We learnt different skills and we became better persons”, said Dominic Evere, who graduated in 1981.

“It has been a difficult mission here in Araimiri. Yet with Gods protection we are still here. This is what our mission is all about. It is simple and gives us a sense of fulfilment.” said Fr Gilbert Pano sdb, of his experience in Araimiri.

“Thank you to the Salesians for bringing education in the province. I am still proud of the person I have become after attending Don Bosco Araimiri as a pioneer student.” - Martin Makeu, Parishioner Holy Spirit Parish, Kerema.

“I am not catholic, but after being selected into Don Bosco Araimiri, I was exposed to many teachings I find practical, one in particular is the prayer of Don Bosco, reciting it inspires me every day. Also, Don Bosco Araimiri is a top school in our province. I am so lucky.” - Sharon Vailala, Grade 9 student Araimiri.

“I grew up amongst boys, my nature was aggressive and much of a tomboy, to this date, I am thankful I attended Don Bosco where I have priests as mentors who disciplined me to be ladylike,” said Helen Evere Kora, support staff of Don Bosco Araimiri.

“Thank you, Salesians, for the 40 years in Araimiri and let us continue to build better Bosconians and aim for the next forty years.” – Sam Earo, Catholic Education Secretary

20200616_PGS1.jpg

20200616_PGS2.jpg

20200616_PGS3.jpg

20200616_PGS4.jpg

20200616_PGS5.jpg

20200616_PGS6.jpg

20200616_PGS7.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5902(II)_Formation Course for Practical Trainees

By Viet SC Vung Tau, Vietnam, 2 December 2022 -- The Provincial Councillor for formation organized a regular training course for young Salesians in practical training over two days, November 29 and 30, at Don Bosco Phuoc Loc community, Vung...
    Date2022.12.03 Reply0 Views342 file
    Read More
  2. 5902(I)_Young Timorese ordained Deacons in Australia

By Fr. Will Mathews Melbourne, Australia, 3 December 2022 -- On Saturday evening, 26 November, the first Sunday of Advent, two young Timorese Salesians, Euclidio Marques and Filipe Sarmento, were ordained to the diaconate by Bishop Terrence...
    Date2022.12.03 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views660 file
    Read More
  3. 5901(V)_ First ever Vietnamese to graduate from the Pacific Regional Seminary in Suva, Fiji

By Afia Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji, 28 November 2022 -- The Pacific Regional Seminary celebrated its 50th jubilee anniversary last week culminating with the graduation of students who have completed their studies in philosophy and those who have...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views441 file
    Read More
  4. 5901(IV)_Artemides Zatti Cooperator Center - Tan Cang celebrates its Patronus

By Viet SC Tan Cang, Vietnam, 30 November 2022 -- On the morning of Sunday, November 27, 2022, Artemides Zatti - Tan Cang Cooperator Center solemnly celebrated the first Patronal Mass at Tan Cang community. Participating in the celebration ...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryASC Reply0 Views349 file
    Read More
  5. 5901(III)_Achievement through Love: Graduation of 224 students at DBTS, Gabutu

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Photographs: Fr. Ambrose Pereira and John Kawapuro Don Bosco Gabutu (Port Moresby) PNG, 30 November 2022 -- Dressed in their flowing black gowns lined with satin blue bands, the graduates of Don Bosco Technical S...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views482 file
    Read More
  6. 5901(II)_Macau Salesian Family gives thanks for the gift of Saint Artemides Zatti

By Ms. Phyllis Tang Macau, China, 30 November 202 -- After the Thanksgiving celebrations in Hong Kong last October 22, also the Macau Salesian Family members gave thanks for the Canonization of Brother Artemides Zatti together with Salesian...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views535 file
    Read More
  7. 5901(I)_Young Salesians involved in Peace building - Jakarta

By Cl. Fabianus Karo, SDB Wisma Don Bosco, Jakarta - Indonesia, 28 November 2022 -- A three-day Interfaith Youth Camp was held from November 18 - 20, 2022 at Pondok Pendawa, Tegal, Banten province near Jakarta. Among the 30 participants wer...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryINA Reply0 Views353 file
    Read More
  8. 5900(IV)_EAO Salesian Family Annual Meeting and Sharing

By The 41st SF Spirituality Days Team EAO Region, 25 November 2022 -- The family of Don Bosco is growing through sharing the Salesian spirit, mission and life's apostolic and spiritual experiences. The annual gift (Strenna) of the Recto...
    Date2022.11.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views442 file
    Read More
  9. 5900(III)_PDO Mongolia: Christmas Appeal 2022

By Br. Andrew Le Phuong, SDB - PDO Director PDO Ulanbaatar, Mongolia, 25 November 2022 -- Just one month before Christmas 2022, another Newsletter by the PDO (Planning Development Office) in the Mongolia Delegation (VIE - Delegate Superior,...
    Date2022.11.25 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views309 file
    Read More
  10. 5900(II)_Survival: Cow dung to heat the ger

By Fr. Mario Gaspar dos Santos, SDB Shuwu, Mongolia, 24 November 2022 -- One of the Salesian mission frontiers on the periphery of Ulaanbaatar is Shuwuu in Mongolia where the Salesians are based. They live in the middle of the poorest peopl...
    Date2022.11.25 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views339 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... 535 Next
/ 535