Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 486 Comment 0
ALA_5365

20200501_PGS2.jpg

By Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb

Boroko, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 1 May 2020 -- With the resumption of tertiary level classes on Monday 27 April and secondary classes on Monday, 4 May, students and staff are to follow strict precautionary measures in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Minister for Education, Hon. Joseph Yopyyopy, in a recent policy statement on the resumption of classes, said that it is necessary for all teachers, parents, partners and stakeholders to remain vigilant and follow safety orders and health advice to prevent and control COVID-19 in schools.

For many of the Catholic-run schools, these measures follow the directives of the PNG government and they have embraced the ‘new normal’ with a change in how classes will be conducted. Some of the precautionary measures also include strict gate control, temperature check and hand sanitizing.

Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko has commenced its classes with a new time table of three shifts. The last being the 6pm to 9pm workshop classes for the residents of the Mary Our Help hostel and the St Frances de Sales Residence. These students have not left the campus during the lockdown period. The staff have extra hours, and have joyfully put in their services for the sake of the students, while the students are happy to organize their program together. The reduction of contact periods is balanced by the distribution of learning materials and assessments to be done during the contact period through Moodle.

The students have returned to class and are determined to make the most of the year ahead and complete all unfinished work, lest they do not graduate at the end of the year. Staff and students have adjusted to the chang in timetable. Once classes are over the students are accompanied to the gate by the lecturer. No one is permitted to hang around in the campus.

“It has been wonderful to get back to the classes as I want to secure my dreams for the future”, said one student. “I feel greatly relieved now that we have recommenced classes, as I was getting depressed about my future”, said another. There were also a few students who said that they received little help and support from family and friends while they were at home.

"Spending five weeks at home during the lockdown due to the pandemic has made me reflect deeply on myself and my life. As a final year student and away from the DBTI school campus, I realised the importance of hands-on education and learning at a technical institute. It has taught me that education is a privilege and that I need to invest my time wisely and productively while I have the opportunity to do so. Gaining knowledge and insight has to benefit me and in turn it has to have a positive impact on the lives of others. Evaluating my priorities in life, make improvements and withdraw from habits that may be harmful were a few things I would often contemplate on. Another thing I pondered upon was the value of life as nothing in this world can function without it. Knowing that life is short and that every person will die at one point of their lives has enabled me to consider what really matters most in life and that is: God, health, people (family, associates and others) and the environment. Thus, wealth, possessions and fame which are least. The time we are going through is not easy and I hope that we as students will realise that we need to go beyond the issues we face each day to mould ourselves into persons for the future," said Regina Wayi, INS, 4thyear student.

The State of Emergency, with its lockdown, isolation and ‘stay home’ messages have been re-echoed over the past five weeks. Messages of hygiene and maintaining a safe distance have been reinforced on a constant basis. Sanitizers and disinfectants are provided to each lecturer and class instructor. Thankfully, Papua New Guinea, a country that moves from one man-made or natural disaster to the next has been protected by the Lord, His Blessed Mother, St John Bosco and Bl Peter ToRot. PNG has had eight confirmed cases of COVID-19 over the lockdown period who all are safe and recovering. Tests are being conducted and we are hopeful that the second wave will be kept in check.

20200501_PGS200.jpg

20200501_PGS201.jpg

20200501_PGS202.jpg

20200501_PGS203.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5904(VII)_Father Minh Duc Nguyen’s Ordination to the Priesthood in Suva, Fiji

By Afia Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji, 9 December 2022 -- History was made when Deacon Peter Nguyen Minh Duc was ordained priest on Sunday, 4 December 2022. He was the first Salesian missionary from Vietnam to be ordained in Fiji and, a week earlie...
    Date2022.12.09 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1175 file
    Read More
  2. 5904(VI)_FIS Salesian Family: One in Reflection and Fellowship

By FIS CYM Correspondence Cebu, The Philippines, 9 December 2022 -- Different Salesian Family groups gathered in a day of reflection and fellowship on December 8, 2022 at Don Bosco Technical College, Cebu, for the Salesian Family Advent Rec...
    Date2022.12.09 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views473 file
    Read More
  3. 5904(V)_Salesian Family gets to know St Artemides Zatti and Salesian Brothers

By our own correspondent Don Bosco Cuneo, Italy, 9 December 2022 -- The traditional Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary (December 8) marks a special day for the world-wide Salesian Family. 181 years after the Hail Mary said by Don Bo...
    Date2022.12.09 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views397 file
    Read More
  4. 5904(IV)_The Golden and Silver Jubilee of Priesthood

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 8 December 2022 -- On 5 December 2022, Bishop Joseph Prathan Sridarunsil, SDB, was the main celebrant in the celebration of the Holy Eucharist on the occasion of 50 years of priestly life of Fr. Francis Cais and...
    Date2022.12.09 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views451 file
    Read More
  5. 5904(III)_First VDB Profession in Melanesia

By our correspondent PGS, 8 Decmber 2022 -- 5 December 2022, liturgical memorial of Blessed Philip Rinaldi, was an important day for the Salesian Family in Melanesia. It marked the profession of the first VDB in Melanesia. Here she shares h...
    Date2022.12.09 Reply1 Views321 file
    Read More
  6. 5904(II)_Advent Recollection for ADMA and Aspirants Jakarta

By Jeanny Ko, ADMA Jakarta-INA Jakarta, Indonesia, 8 December 2022 -- On 3 December, from 9am to 12noon, we gathered in the grounds of the Post-Novitiate seminary in Sunter for our Advent Recollection aptly themed "Begin with Hope," conduct...
    Date2022.12.09 CategoryINA Reply0 Views302 file
    Read More
  7. 5904(I)_23 New Salesian Cooperators in Korean Province

By our own correspondent Seoul, Korea, 9 December 2022 -- On November 27, the first week of Advent, the Korean Province of the Salesian Cooperators (Provincial Coordinator Andrea Park Man-shik) held an annual Promises ceremony for their 23 ...
    Date2022.12.09 Reply0 Views374 file
    Read More
  8. 5903(VI)_Thank you, Father Rinaldi! From Your Salesian Family

Valdocco, Turin, Italy, 5 Decmber 2022 -- On December 5 the whole Salesian Family around the world gives thanks for Fr Rinaldi and celebrates his liturgical feast. One 100 years after his election as Rector Major (1922) he is not yet suffic...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views369 file
    Read More
  9. 5903(V)_ANS survey of the worldwide Salesian Family

Rome, Italy, 7 December 2022 -- Since 1956 the 'Salesian News Agency' (ANS) has made many changes, starting with the name (technically it is now Agenzia iNfo Salesiana or Salesian Information agency), the shift from analog to digita...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views306 file
    Read More
  10. 5903(IV)_Mass for Blessed Philip Rinaldi and Reception of the Ministry of Reader, Acolyte

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 7 December 2022 -- On December 5, 2022, the entire Salesian Family joyfully celebrated Blessed Philip Rinaldi. And that was also a very important and special day for Salesians in the Philip Rinaldi Theological...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views446 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 536 Next
/ 536