Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 959 Comment 0

20190517_PGS.jpg

Interview with Cl. Paulus Bataona, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Kumgi, PNG, 17 May 2019 -- Since last September 2018, Cl. Paulus Bataona (INA) has been doing the second year of his practical training in PGS Viceprovince (Papua New Guinea, Kumgi) as part of his missionary vocation discernment. His community is 'DB Tech Kumgi' with 4 SDBs (Rector Fr. Robinson Parapilly).

How did you happen to be here in PNG from Indonesia?

Last year I applied to be a missionary, but still in need of missionary discernment. My rector contacted the Indonesia Delegate and then through the EAO Regional my PNG missionary experience was arranged. It took only two months to process all documents so I arrived on the 2nd week of September 2018 in Port Moresby.

How was the adaptation period in PNG?

Every morning one hour in the provincial house for two weeks about the culture and country with Fr Provincial. I was sent to Kumgi, where Cl. Bernard was last year as a practical trainee to assist the boys in our school boarding house.

How is the ordinary weekday life with the 173 school boarding house boys?

Daily before the school starts at 7:40 AM until 4 PM I’m assistinl with sports and when they need anything, many call on me to help between the school and the Salesian house. During lunch breaks I spend the time with the boys in basketball court. After 4 PM the boys cook by themselves in small groups and from 6:30 they have study time (= it's our SDB prayer time), then later we pray the Rosary together and have a Good NIght Talk with them. 10 PM is the curfew. My bedroom is in the dormitory, apart from the Salesian house.

How do you feel in the 4 SDB community?

All of us are from different cultures and all of us are missionaries, all with different way of thinking. Community prayer is an experience, even if there are just two of us we sing in our small chapel. Fraternal sharing – we use the dinner table and weekly times on Saturday for Bible sharing (Lectio divina), recollection and community meetings. Not difficult to adjust to other culture confreres, first with Cl. Bernard (PNG national) and also with three Salesian missionary priests (two from India and one from the Philippines) of my community.

What do you learn from the PNG youth?

Learning their character, learn how to understand them. Here the Don Bosco Preventive System works in a different way. We call them when they need correction, unlike in Indonesia if you don’t raise your voice the boys don't follow. After 6 months already know all 197 of them by name and they come from all corners of PNG. Their ages vary – from 23 years to 32 years.

Our youth are accustomed to not so much food, their only big meal is usually a dinner. They are are at home in social media. Although the internet connection in PNG is rather expensive, when they log in to Instagram or Youtube, they may forget about eating. And all of them have their Facebook connection, even if they stay hungry. Dialogue with our boys is more easy than in Sumba (Indonesia) where I spent the first year of my practical training. So it's also easy to be approached, when they asked about vocation. There is a vocation sodality in the school and vocation-mission group for the Sunday volunteering in the Oratory experience.

Any challenges as practical trainee?

I need to learn more about the culture and the language. The main local language, Pidgin English, I can understand already a lot, but speaking in Pidgin is till at the beginning. Community life is another challenge, since we are coming from different cultural backgrounds. Again to understand English is easier than to express myself in English in a nuanced way. That is quite difficult.

Also the Preventive System of Don Bosco makes a difference. Assist here is not easy. When we were two practical trainees looking for 45 boys in Sumba (INA) we try never leave our boys alone, always one SDB was present with the boys. But now in Kumgi with 190 boys I'm the only assistant, and I do my best to assist them. So I try to stay with the boys all possible times and even cook and eat with them twice a week.

How are the practical trainees accompanied in PNG?

Last month we met in Port Moresby with Fr. Ariel, all 4 of us – one from Dominican Republic, one from India and one from Japan. Four different nationalities, before in Indonesia there was also an annual meeting, but here the cultural difference brings more dynamics. Our meeting is useful to share about ‘how to assist’ properly with input and some questions for personal sharing.

What makes you happy in practical training in PNG?

The boys in the hostel really need our help, whenever I’m with them I feel it very much. Our boys they share, I’m excited to listen to their personal sharing and this is the reason why I would like to become a missionary. There are so many youth in need to be assisted - it makes me happy!

And what about your next step?

After first year of practical training in Indonesia (Sumba) and now during my second year of practical training in PNG (Kumgi) I feel, that my missionary vocaiton is being confirmed. Of course, I still need to improve in English, with help of some teachers and also with my personal effort of translating. I hope I would be able to be member of the Salesian missionary expedition next year.

Related article

20190517_PGS1.jpg

20190517_PGS2.jpg

20190517_PGS3.jpg

20190517_PGS4.jpg

20190517_PGS5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5903(IV)_Mass for Blessed Philip Rinaldi and Reception of the Ministry of Reader, Acolyte

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 7 December 2022 -- On December 5, 2022, the entire Salesian Family joyfully celebrated Blessed Philip Rinaldi. And that was also a very important and special day for Salesians in the Philip Rinaldi Theological...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views437 file
    Read More
  2. 5903(III)_The Joint Recollection of Don Bosco Xuan Hiep and Don Bosco Ben Cat Aspirants

By Viet SC Vietnam, 7 December 2022 -- On December 4, 2022, Aspirants of Xuan Hiep and Ben Cat held a joint day of recollection at the Benedictine Sisters (OSB) Monastery. The recollection was accompanied by Father Dominic Tran Quang Hien -...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views270 file
    Read More
  3. 5903(II)_Developing a Social Media Policy

By Fr. Peter Hoang SDB, AUL-PAC EAO ZOOM, 1 December, 2022 -- After almost two years of attending zoom sessions of the School of Formation, many Delegates in the Region were able to meet one another at the recent joint Regional Social Commu...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views294 file
    Read More
  4. 5903(I)_Brother Jean Paul Muller visits Salesian Brothers Formation House - Paranaque, FIN

By Br. Elvino Pereira Sandor community - Paranaque, Manila, Philippines. 6 December 2022 -- The Economer General of the Congregation since 2010, Brother Jean Paul Muller, made an animation visit some days ago to the Philippines North - Mala...
    Date2022.12.07 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views314 file
    Read More
  5. 5902(II)_Formation Course for Practical Trainees

By Viet SC Vung Tau, Vietnam, 2 December 2022 -- The Provincial Councillor for formation organized a regular training course for young Salesians in practical training over two days, November 29 and 30, at Don Bosco Phuoc Loc community, Vung...
    Date2022.12.03 Reply0 Views342 file
    Read More
  6. 5902(I)_Young Timorese ordained Deacons in Australia

By Fr. Will Mathews Melbourne, Australia, 3 December 2022 -- On Saturday evening, 26 November, the first Sunday of Advent, two young Timorese Salesians, Euclidio Marques and Filipe Sarmento, were ordained to the diaconate by Bishop Terrence...
    Date2022.12.03 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views647 file
    Read More
  7. 5901(V)_ First ever Vietnamese to graduate from the Pacific Regional Seminary in Suva, Fiji

By Afia Enosa, SDB Suva, Fiji, 28 November 2022 -- The Pacific Regional Seminary celebrated its 50th jubilee anniversary last week culminating with the graduation of students who have completed their studies in philosophy and those who have...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views435 file
    Read More
  8. 5901(IV)_Artemides Zatti Cooperator Center - Tan Cang celebrates its Patronus

By Viet SC Tan Cang, Vietnam, 30 November 2022 -- On the morning of Sunday, November 27, 2022, Artemides Zatti - Tan Cang Cooperator Center solemnly celebrated the first Patronal Mass at Tan Cang community. Participating in the celebration ...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryASC Reply0 Views348 file
    Read More
  9. 5901(III)_Achievement through Love: Graduation of 224 students at DBTS, Gabutu

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Photographs: Fr. Ambrose Pereira and John Kawapuro Don Bosco Gabutu (Port Moresby) PNG, 30 November 2022 -- Dressed in their flowing black gowns lined with satin blue bands, the graduates of Don Bosco Technical S...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views424 file
    Read More
  10. 5901(II)_Macau Salesian Family gives thanks for the gift of Saint Artemides Zatti

By Ms. Phyllis Tang Macau, China, 30 November 202 -- After the Thanksgiving celebrations in Hong Kong last October 22, also the Macau Salesian Family members gave thanks for the Canonization of Brother Artemides Zatti together with Salesian...
    Date2022.11.30 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views534 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 533 Next
/ 533