austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 670 Comment 0

20220404_WOR-(1).jpg

El Obeid, Sudan, 1 April 2022 -- Fr Joseph Hung Quoc, SDB, missionary to Sudan over the past ten years.

How was your early journey of faith?

I was born into a Catholic family, the third of six children. One of my sisters died early due to serious sickness and during her sickness, the whole family turned to God, we prayed day and night; our faith become stronger, and my parents started to help in the parish. As children, we looked at the hard work of our mother and father and we try to live our faith and study hard. Two years after my elder brother entered the diocesan seminary I followed by becoming an Aspirant of Don Bosco. Thanks to my family's faith education, we were always reminded to never give up our prayers. Our family was struggling economically, but we never missed daily Mass at 3:30 AM. Through the Holy Eucharist, we became stronger and thanked God for everything. We offer ourselves to the Lord to serve Him and serve our neighbors.

Your first contact with the Salesians?

I was born in a diocesan parish. I did not know Salesians, up to 20 years of age, although my friend asked me to join a group of Salesian aspirants. But my only intention was to come to play games. We came every Sunday to the Salesian house to learn something new. I found the charism of Don Bosco to be very interesting, and I fell in love with Don Bosco. I put into practice whatever I learned from the Salesian Brothers and Fathers. At that time there were three aspirants in my parish and we tried to gather other young people to play games every day, and teach them catechism. Day by day we entered into the Salesian spirit and gradually become Salesians of Don Bosco.

How were you attracted to follow Don Bosco?

I love my vocation, I believe that God called me as a Salesian and helped me to discover myself and I found myself more confident in the Salesian house. I'm grateful to God and for the missionaries sent to Vietnam. After the years of philosophy, I discerned to become a missionaries ad gentes. I recall that at the moment I wrote the letter, Father Rector asked me: which country would you like to go to? I answered him immediately, I had no specific country to choose. I thank God for his call and am ready to go wherever when superiors send me. So here I am, a missionary in Sudan, and ten years from that time up to now. I am still happy with my vocation.

What makes you happy as Salesian Missionary in Africa?

I am simply happy to live my Salesian vocation and serve others. After living 3 years in El Obeid (Sudan), I'm able to adapt to the local situation, understand the people, and be with them. The biggest challenge for me is Arabic. So far I haven't had the chance for a good course in this language.

What are your missionary dreams after these first 10 years in the Missions?

My first dream is to learn more Arabic so that I can express myself, and help people especially young people more fruitfully.

And my second dream is to be a good missionary!

What is your advice to young Salesians who consider a missionary vocation?

My humble advice: to become a missionary ad gentes is a call and a gift from God. When we come to the missionary project, we believe it is home, they are my people. Forget about the past to live a new life. In this way we live and act as if we are at home, we able to feel at home.

20220404_WOR-(2).jpg

20220404_WOR-(4).jpg

20220404_WOR-(5).jpg

20220404_WOR-(6).jpg

20220404_WOR-(7).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6335_Jakarta Salesian Cooperator Lenten Tour

By Fr. Noel Villafuerte Jakarta, Indonesia – 14 March 2024 -- 17 Salesian Cooperators from the Sunter Local Center, accompanied by their Salesian Delegate, Fr Noel SDB, welcome the Fourth Sunday of Lent with a four-day Pilgrimage, Cha...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryINA Reply0 Views69 file
    Read More
  2. 6334_Sandor Community for the Specific Formation of Salesian Brothers

By Bro. Raymond D. Callo, SDB Paranaque, the Philippines, 14 March 2024 -- The Salesian Brothers’ Formation House – Blessed István Sándor Community was canonically erected on 4 December 2013 for the specific format...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views127 file
    Read More
  3. 6333_Fr. Edwin Genovia, SDB called home

‘Death for the Salesian is made bright by the hope of entering into the joy of his Lord’ Salesian Constitutions 54 By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 14 March 2024 -- “As we gather to celebrate the life of our ...
    Date2024.03.14 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views149 file
    Read More
  4. 6332_A Communal Celebration in Clifton Hill

Building Community and Embodying Christ By Afia Enosa SDB Clifton Hill, Melbourne, Australia, 13 March 2024 -- Salesian Rectors, Vice-Rectors and members of the Pacific Delegation from communities in New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa, and Australia ...
    Date2024.03.13 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views133 file
    Read More
  5. 6331_Fostering a vibrant parish

LLK Leaders’ Overnight Reflections By Vincent Damien Numbos DBTS (staff and family) LKK Leader Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG, 13 March 2024 -- On Friday, 8 March, and Saturday the 9th, the Mary Help of Christians Parish in Sabama held an ...
    Date2024.03.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views86 file
    Read More
  6. 6330_Crafting a Future Blueprint: DBEC’s Strategic Planning Phase 1

By Dr. Amiel M. Yacon Makati, Metro Manila, the Philippines, 11 March 2024 -- In a momentous gathering of minds, 36 Salesians and Lay Mission Partners from various sectors and departments of different Don Bosco schools and institutions part...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views80 file
    Read More
  7. 6329_"Stay awake with me!"

Youth Lenten Vigil Retreat By Soccom Korea Communication & Culture Centre, Seoul, 10 March 2024 -- Today marks the Fourth Sunday of Lent, and we are already halfway through the Lenten season, a time of contemplating the Passion of Jesus...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views84 file
    Read More
  8. 6328_Br. Paolino Lin, SDB: If not the man, at least his ashes return to the Salesian Community

By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti Hong Kong, 10 March 2024 -- Four years ago, today, the great soul of Br. Paolino Lin Yin Nien S.D.B., confessor of the faith, left his body to enter, we hope, the Salesian Garden in Paradise. The body was crem...
    Date2024.03.11 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views185 file
    Read More
  9. 6327_Remembering A Dream

Studies for the Bicentenary of Don Bosco’s Dream of 1824 By Fr. Julian Melbourne, Australia, 6 March 2024 -- In order to mark the bicentenary of the foundational dream that Saint John Bosco experienced when only nine years of age (182...
    Date2024.03.08 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views162 file
    Read More
  10. 6326_THA Annual Spiritual Retreat

By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand, 7 March 2024 -- The Salesian Confreres of Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos held their annual spiritual retreat from 24 February - 2 March 2024 [1st group] and from 3-9 March 2024 [2nd group] under the theme “A...
    Date2024.03.08 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views181 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 537 Next
/ 537