PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5453

20200825_AUL.jpg

"Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour!"

By Fr Will Matthews
Provincial Australia-Pacific

Melbourne, Australia, 25 August 2020 -- We are happy to share the ongoing experience of Salesian Mission Day 2020 within the Australia - Pacific (AUL) province of Australia-New Zealand-Fiji-Samoa. In his recent Circular letter n0. 621 (24 August 2020), Fr Will Matthews (AUL provincial) motivates his confreres with his introduction page 'From the Provincial':

"Dear Confreres, having been to a number of Salesian Regional meetings in the last few years and the Salesian General Chapter in Turin earlier this year, I have come across many Salesians from other parts of the world who asked me if I was a missionary to Australia. Many Salesians were puzzled and surprised to meet me as the Provincial of Australia - Pacific Province. I smile and with my usual reply that I migrated to Australia with my family, joining the Province as a prenovice, having had all priestly training in Melbourne before being ordained a priest in my home town Perth, and now serving as the 11th Provincial. In short, I assure the inquisitors that I was not a missionary sent to Australia.

But, I affirm and make a point that every Salesian is a missionary by nature regardless of where you come from and where you serve. Our Province is built on the hard work of missionaries primarily from Europe. We are truly grateful for the firm foundation established by those selfless Confreres. Some Confreres are still living, and celebrating big anniversaries of Profession and Ordination.

In the past weeks, a young Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Duc, professed his perpetual vows into the hands of Fr Jim Hoe in Fiji who represented the Rector Major. Another Vietnamese missionary, Br Peter Vu, renewed his vows in Salelologa into the hands of Fr Petelo Vito, a representative of the Rector Major. Both Peter Duc and Peter Vu might remind many elderly Salesians in the Province who were in similar positions in Australia over 50, 60 or 70 years ago. They can now look back with profound gratitude and thank God for their calling and the sacrifices they have made.

A Salesian without missionary spirit is not a Salesian at all! He is not true to his vocation. Don Bosco wanted all his sons to be missionaries to the young wherever they may be: schools, youth centres, parishes, camps, playgrounds and virtual worlds.

Recently, the Provincial Delegate for Missionary Animation, Lauren Hichaaba, sent out a message to you all promoting missionary awareness in your community and work especially from 15th August to 15 September. The theme this year is ‘Initial Proclamation through Oratories and Youth Centres’. We are asked to emphasize more in the playgrounds to share and witness the love of God to the young through our lives and action.

Sometimes, as human beings, some Salesians may feel extremely comfortable where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. It is extremely easy to be sitting in our comfort zone and wasting time with those who are not necessarily needed.

Like ships, Salesians are not built for safe harbour. We must reach out to the young those who are in need like the refugees, migrants, children from broken homes, young people with various forms of addictions, and the young with mental and social issues.

Also as a Province, we are heading towards the centenary celebrations in 2023. It is now time to remind and reflect as individuals, as communities and as a province of our missionary spirit for the poor and the abandoned. Let us reignite the passion of missionary zeal in each one of us. We have become professed and consecrated Salesians not to do our will but to do the will of God.

Every Salesian is a faith-filled missionary who does the will of God. A guarantee for our true happiness is to have absolute faith in God and to do His will. St Paul says in his letter to the Philippians ‘Rejoice in the Lord always, again I say; rejoice!’ [4:4]"

• SMD 2020 Resources for download (animation booklet) and 5 videos on the Youtube

• Related news article:

20200825_AUL0.jpg

20200825_AUL1.jpg

20200825_AUL2.jpg

20200825_AUL3.jpg
    Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5947(I)_Light and Voice of the World

Mary Help of Christians Sabama Parish welcomes new Parish Priest By Jessica Oata and Rosa Koian Sabama, Port Moresby, PNG 17 February 2023 -- The rhythmic beat of the kundu drums and dancing, angelic voices and joyous atmosphere filled the ...
      Date2023.02.20 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views502 file
      Read More
    2. 5946(II)_The Post-Novitiate Community for 2023

By TLS SOCCOM TEAM Dili, Timor-Leste, 16 February 2023 -- The Post-Novitiate Community in the TLS Vice-Province is ready for the 2023 academic year. Fr. João Roque, SDB has just begun his term as Rector of this largest community in t...
      Date2023.02.16 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views525 file
      Read More
    3. 5946(I)_Salesian Youth Ministry Joint Formation

By TLS SOCCOM TEAM Fuiloro, Timor-Leste, 14 February, 2023 -- The Salesian youth ministry organized a joint meeting between SDB, FMA Salesian cooperators, animators from different places of youth centers, member from the national structure ...
      Date2023.02.16 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views409 file
      Read More
    4. 5945(V)_SDB and FMA Fuiloro begin their Oratory activities

By TLS Soc Com Fuiloro, Timor-Leste, 12 February 2023 - The joint Oratory activities of SDB and FMA Fuiloro officially commenced for the year 2023. The opening ceremony was held in the gymnasium of Fuiloro SDB Community. There were hundreds...
      Date2023.02.14 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views357 file
      Read More
    5. 5945(IV)_TLS two-day formation for altar servers

By TLS Soc Com Fuiloro, Timor-Leste, 12 February 2023 --The diocesan commission for altar Servers organized two days of meeting and formation for the Altar Servers of the Parish at Lospalos and Quasi-Parish in Fuiloro. There were more than ...
      Date2023.02.14 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views314 file
      Read More
    6. 5945(III)_National appointments: curriculum studies and music

By FIS Soccom Philippines South (FIS), 14 February 2023 -- The Philippines South Province welcomed the election and subsequent appointments of a Salesian priest and a lay mission partner to separate national positions in curriculum studies ...
      Date2023.02.14 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views425 file
      Read More
    7. 5945(II)_Yeast and Salt in the Human Family with Don Bosco's Heart - VDB Testimonies

VDB, world, 14 February 2023 -- Among the most heart-touching testimonies of the 2023 EAO Salesian Family Spirituality Days were the 16 minute VDB (Volunteers of Don Bosco) sharing about the 'Living as Yeast in the Human Family'. VD...
      Date2023.02.14 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views322 file
      Read More
    8. 5945(I)_MYM: Strenna Presentation

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 14 February 2023 -- The presentation of Strenna 2023 took place over two days in Anisakan, Myanmar. On the first day, the event began with the Holy Mass celebrated by Fr. Marino Soe Naing, SDB at 7:...
      Date2023.02.14 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views585 file
      Read More
    9. 5944(III)_Thailand - Installation of new Superior of Salesian Province of THAILAND, Cambodia and Laos: Fr. Anthony Boonlert Paneetatthayasai

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 11 February 2023 -- At at Mary Help of Christians Church in Bangkok, the installation ceremony of Fr. Anthony Boonlert Paneetatthayasai as Superior of the Salesian Province of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos (THA) f...
      Date2023.02.12 CategoryTHA Reply1 Views818 file
      Read More
    10. 5944(II)_The Challenge to Become Yeast in Japanese Society

By Cl. Kenji Lorenzo Ruiz Hasegawa, SDB Chofu, Tokyo, Japan, 12 February 2023 -- In mid-January of this year, the whole Salesian world celebrated the Spirituality Days with this year’s Strenna of the Rector Major: As the Yeast in Toda...
      Date2023.02.12 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views356 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 535 Next
    / 535