NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2015.05.09 10:36

3608_CDB born again in the EAO

Views 4361 Comment 0

20150509_FIN.jpg

By Fr Eli Cruz, SDB

Canlubang, Philippines - After the first historical attempt to launch the CDB (Con Don Bosco) vocation in our Region, in South Korea (started in 1999 with first vocation discernment and ended in 2010), there is a second attempt starting in the Philippines.

The Philippines-North Province (FIN) is starting to form the Volunteers with Don Bosco (CDB = Con Don Bosco), the Salesian consecrated secular male institute, which officially began in 1994 when Fr Egidio Viganó called to one meeting in Rome many young men who started in different parts of the world this experience.

Fr Eli Cruz, former FIN provincial, proposed the idea of establishing such group in the Philippines to Fr Václav Klement, EAO regional councilor, who readily gave his support and shared his experiences. Fr Eli Cruz answers some questions:

What attracted you to this Salesian consecrated secular vocation?

I grew up with (a) exemplary models, (b) good knowledge, and (c) high esteem of the consecrated secular vocation because my two aunts were among the first members from the Philippines of the Notre Dame de Vie Institute, a French-founded group of consecrated lay women and men who are professional people living in the world with the Carmelite spirit.

My two aunts had hoped that I would join the Institute after university studies, but God called me to be a Salesian priest. However, my early exposures and the imprint the lives of my two aunts and their other members of the Carmelite NDV Institute left on me are coming into full circle with my own Salesian vocation.

Why did you start with the CDB vocation promotion?

The FIN Provincial Chapter 2013, while it “sees the urgent need to work with young workers or professionals… especially those at risk in the business process outsourcing industry,” also “recognizes that it is at a loss as to the new models of community structures and apostolic interventions. It encourages a pilot group of confreres to venture into this new frontier.”

AS NEW FRONTIER: The CDBs are the consecrated Salesians who can, using the images of Pope Francis, (a) wear “dusty shoes”; (b) have “the smell of the sheep”; and (c) serve as the “field hospital after the battle” with their very proximity and accessibility to young workers.

FOR THE BICENTENARY OF DB’S BIRTH: Beyond celebrations that may just be postcards of happy memories, what can give more lasting significance is the re-birthing in the Province of the avant-garde idea of Don Bosco about the ‘Extern Salesian’ which he presented in the 1860 Constitutions.

IN THIS YEAR OF THE CONSECRATED LIFE: The Salesian Family has a unique vocation to offer through the professed CDBs who “by vocational choice live as laymen in the world… to enliven reality from within… immersed in the Heart of Christ and enlivened by the optimistic humanism of Don Bosco and St. Francis de Sales” (CDB Constitutions, 6).

What is the profile of our first candidates on discernment and formation?

For the moment, there are 3 young men, aged 32, having their monthly formation. They are alumni of Don Bosco Technical College in Mandaluyong City, a school where, so far, a third of SDBs in the Philippines studied, 3 FMAs taught as former teachers, and 3 locally founded Marian congregations were formed from its students. All 3 are licensed engineers from our college, with one having studied there since grade school, one since high school, and the other one already in college. It’s a very fertile ground.

Even prior to their formation into the CDB, all three are known to Fr Eli as students and then as professionals who have a regular prayer life, apostolic involvement with the poor, capacity for self-reflection, affective maturity, gentlemanly dealings with their bosses and constituents in the workplace, and cultural intelligence in working with people and in places of other cultures. They are enthusiastic in the discernment and formation process.

All three are financially stable professionals working in Manila. One of the 3 candidates works in a high-profile embassy in its department that deals with project proposals for the alleviation of poverty in the Asian region. The other two work in the same European company in supervisory positions over young professionals. All 3 work in an environment where professionalism is valued and the witnessing of Christian values is respected.

Any wish or dream about some other potential CDB vocations in the EAO region?

The CDB trinomial vocation as Salesian, consecrated, secular men is tough. But there are frontiers and peripheries of the Salesian mission that only they can penetrate. So may their tribe increase!

CDB logo.png

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 3862(II)_A tribute to Fr. Adolf Faroni

By Fr. David Buenaventura, SDB Manila, Philippines, 5 January 2016 - The old man is gone to heaven. The confession box at the back of St. John Bosco Parish (Manila – Makati) will no longer be the same. As is best friend, Mr. Pacheco texted ...
    Date2016.01.08 CategoryFIN Reply3 Views3429 file
    Read More
  2. 3862(I)_Some history of St. Caravario in Turin

By Cl. Anthony Pun, SDB Turin , Italy, 8 January - At the age of five, Callisto Caravario moved from Courgne, his birthplace, to Turin with his family. When he was seven years old, he studied in a nearby school Raineri. He spent the first t...
    Date2016.01.08 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1840 file
    Read More
  3. 3861_Don Bosco is more known and loved

By Fr. Egidio Deiana, SDB the rector of Don Bosco's Basilica at Colle Don Bosco Colle Don Bosco - Chieri - Valdocco, Italy - The 2015 crowds of the Don Bosco Bicentenary Pilgrims in the Holy places of Don Bosco in Italy are already over. We...
    Date2016.01.06 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1458 file
    Read More
  4. 3860_99 years young fan of St. Callistus Caravario!

By Don Bosco Past Pupils of Cuorgné Piedmont, Italy, 5 January 2016 - One of the two Salesian protomartyrs, Saint Callistus Caravario (1903-1930) was born in a small town of Cuorgné near Turin. He lived 21 years in Italy and 6 years in the ...
    Date2016.01.05 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1809 file
    Read More
  5. 3859_Give your heart completely to Jesus

By FMA novices in second year Kwangju, Korea, 4 January 2015 - On the Epiphany Feastday (January 6, 2016) are making their first religious profession three FMA sisters in Seoul Provincial House after two years of novitiate in the Mae Weol D...
    Date2016.01.04 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views1485 file
    Read More
  6. 3858(II)_Coming soon! 110 years of Fr. Versigilia arrival to Macau

By Cl. Anthony Pun, SDB Oliva Gessi, Italy - On February 13, 2016 the whole China province and probably also the EAO region will remember the arrival of the first 6 Salesian missionaries to Macau and also as foundation of the first SDB comm...
    Date2016.01.03 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1434 file
    Read More
  7. 3858(I)_A Body Broken for a Broken People

By Fr. Joel Camaya, SDB Don Bosco Center of Studies, Parañaque FIN Parañaque, Philippines - The book of Fr. Francis Moloney, 'A Body Broken for a Broken People': divorce, Remarriage and the Eucharist, could not have come to Philippine soil ...
    Date2016.01.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1359 file
    Read More
  8. 3857_Salesian experiences in Australia

By Cl. Matthew Saisawang 'Jack', SDB Theology student Don Bosco House - Clifton Hill Melbourne, Australia, 2 Ajnuary 2016 - It is almost a year that I have been away from my country, Thailand: from March 31, 2015 until now. I would like to ...
    Date2016.01.02 CategoryAUL Reply1 Views1542 file
    Read More
  9. 3856(II)_Happy new year 2016 with migrants in Japan

By Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB Yokohama, Japan, 1 January 2016 - In the Salesian parish of Hamamatsu (Yokohama diocese, Eastern zone) the last Eucharist of 2015 in Japanese was celebrated by the Rector – Parish priest Fr. Ángel Yamanouchi. He...
    Date2016.01.01 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1375 file
    Read More
  10. 3856(I)_Pursue the adventure in the Holy Spirit - SF 400

By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong, 1 January 2016 - When we are now reading the fresh commentary to the Strenna 2016 of the Rector Major 'WITH JESUS, let us pursue the adventure of the Spirit together!' we can be helped in this adv...
    Date2016.01.01 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1769 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 ... 536 Next
/ 536