austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20150720_PNG.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Honiara, Solomon Islands - The ‘Share and Inspire’ program for Youth@Work participants held its second full day workshop day on 13th July 2015 at the Commonwealth Youth Program Pacific Initiative Hall, Solomon Islands. The program commenced at 9am and concluded at 4.30pm and was attended by 28 Youth@Work participants.

The ‘Problem Tree’ and ‘Photo Story’ exercises gave the participants an opportunity to interact with each other and share reflections and issues connected with their everyday life and activity.

After the initial warm-up, the participants through a brainstorming session ranked the following youth issues as their priorities - drugs, child abuse, unemployment, change in education, fear and alcohol. In small groups the ‘Problem Tree’ exercise gave the participants an ability to map out the interconnected cause and effect of the issue they had selected. The process of analysis built up a sense of shared understanding, purpose, ideas and action. In their presentations they were able to share their feelings and concerns and come up with possible solutions. A Problem Tree can then be turned around to be a Solution Tree.

“We have clearly identified the causes and effects of the issues of youth,” said Walasi George Kiriau. “The Problem Tree exercise has given us the ability to understand the problem and look at a possible solution”, said 27-year-old Marictus Hagu.

Animator Regina Lepping was amazed at the insights and the sharing of the group. “They are a group of youngsters with a lot of potential, who are able to dwell and reflect on the issues that matter to them”, she said.

“I realize that there needs to be communication and participation at all the levels of planning, implementation and evaluation to build up on greater social change,” said David Tarai.

The second part of the ‘Mission to Love’ film, highlighted Don Bosco, Father and Friend of Youth on his visit to meet the boys in prison. He received a cold reception as the youngsters taunted and shouted at him. This scene enabled the youngsters realize the issues of fear they face today.

The afternoon session dwelt on a ‘Photo Story’ to convey a clear message through photographs. The three well-composed and evocative photographs highlighting ‘Unemployment’ generated a lot of interaction and discussion.

The sessions gave the youth an opportunity to reflect, share and share their issues. “I learnt a lot from my other colleagues as they shared their views. I have also felt comfortable to share my point of view,” said Raywin Taroaniara.

“I have learnt that communication and participation are essential at all levels. The Problem Tree brings several issues to the surface and we are able to diagnose the problems easily,” said Alphonse Ganea, aged 26. “Similar programs need to be organized in our communities as well,” he said.

“Sharing our ideas furthers our understanding”, said Eddie Wagiro. Other participants echoed the same sentiments as well.

“We had a great time at our session and thank our dynamic animators Fr. Ambrose Pereira sdb, Christina Peroili and Regina Lepping. We look forward to enjoyable sessions ahead,” said 25-year-old Tyson Nare.

The second part of the program will be a Participatory Video workshop to be held from 20th to 23rd July, 2015 at the Commonwealth Program Initiative Hall, Solomon Islands. The program has been coordinated by the Secretariat of the Pacific Community for members of the Youth@Work project. It is participatory in nature and is held in collaboration with the Salesians of Don Bosco, Solomon Islands and the School of Communication for Social Change, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.

20150720_PNG1.jpg

20150720_PNG2.jpg

20150720_PNG3.jpg

20150720_PNG4.jpg

20150720_PNG5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 3902_Salesians in Tainan are OK with some minor damages by a strong earthquake

Fr. Peter Porio, SDB in Don Bosco Tainan, Taiwan By Fr. John Baptist Zen, SDB Tainan, Taiwan, 6 February 2016 - Dear friends in Christ and in Don Bosco. Many thanks for your message prompted by love and concern. This morning our dear Rector,...
    Date2016.02.06 CategoryCIN Reply2 Views1535 file
    Read More
  2. 3901_Medical Mission of Italian Doctors to the Shortlands

By Mons. Luciano Capelli, SDB Bishop of Gizo A.M.I.S (Amici Missioni Isole Solomons charity trust Inc) is a group of Italian Volunteers which built the Good Samaritan Hospital at Tetere from 2004 to 2008. The same group built a second Good ...
    Date2016.02.06 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2541 file
    Read More
  3. 3900(II)_How many are the Salesian Saints?

By Fr. Pierluigi Cameroni, SDB Postulator for the Causes of Saints Rome, Italy, 5 February 2016 - As you can see on the 2014 Salesian Sanctity Poster, the number of our Salesian 'Saints' is steadily growing. There are 9 Saints, 117 Blessed ...
    Date2016.02.05 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views2198 file
    Read More
  4. 3900(I)_Bridge between the two Salesian Regions - Visitations 2016

By Our Own Correspondent EAO, 4 February 2016 - During the first week of February was started the extraordinary visitation in two Asian provinces - Manila (FIN) and Tiruchy (INT). Surprisingly this time the Visitors sent by the Rector Major...
    Date2016.02.05 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1302 file
    Read More
  5. 3899_Artemides Dermal Clinic in Tokyo

Dr. Osamu Urushibata, Don Bosco Past Pupil By Fr. Yoshiki Sekiya, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 4 February 2016 - There is a dermatologist in a small clinic in Shimokitazawa, Tokyo, who practices medicine following the spirit of the Salesians. He is ai...
    Date2016.02.04 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1331 file
    Read More
  6. 3898(II)_Don Bosco and the 51st IEC Experience

By Fr. Randy Figuracion, SDB Cebu, the Philippines - The 51st International Eucharistic Congress concluded with a mission mandate from Pope Francis: “go and change the world!” In a 12-minute pre-taped video message he thanked the organizers...
    Date2016.02.03 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1538 file
    Read More
  7. 3898(I)_Re-opening of Don Bosco Academy in Bacolor after 20 years

By Fr. Ditto Gueco, SDB Provincial secretary, FIN Pampanga, the Philippines, January 20, 2016 - With help of many friends of Don Bosco and after a lengthy process of discernment within the FIN province, the Rector Major with the consent of ...
    Date2016.02.03 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views4641 file
    Read More
  8. 3897_Professions in Suva Fiji

By Fr. Bernie Graham, SDB Suva, Fiji, 31 January 2016 - The feast of St John Bosco was celebrated in true Pacifican style at Don Bosco House in Suva, Fiji with a large gathering of Salesian family and friends, local parishioners and religio...
    Date2016.02.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views2018 file
    Read More
  9. 3896(II)_First and Final Professions in Melbourne for Don Bosco's Feast

By Cl. Jeff Miller, SDB Melbourne, Australia - Sunday’s Eucharistic celebration for the Solemnity of Don Bosco was made most joyful by the First and Final profession of two confreres; Br. Tristan O’Brien (AUL) and Br. Kitichai ‘Jack’ Saisaw...
    Date2016.02.01 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views2008 file
    Read More
  10. 3896(I)_RTC Tetere celebrates Don Bosco Feast 2016

By Fr. Stefano Yu Ji Hoon, SDB Tetere, Solomon Islands, 31 January 2016 - Our small Salesian community in Tetere did celebrate Don Bosco Feastday with a meaning and with joyful spirit. As every year the newcomers to the RTC (Rural Training ...
    Date2016.02.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2071 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 ... 533 Next
/ 533