PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 193 Comment 0
ALA_5292

20200109_WOR.jpg

An Indonesian Dutchman and a Flemish Ecuadorian

From 'Il Bollettino Salesiano' - Italian version

The Netherlands and Ecuador, January 2020 -- Fr Andy Jebarus (37 years) and Fr Jef Delporte (77 years) are both Salesian missionaries. Fr Andy was sent to the BEN Province (Belgium North - Holland) in 2009 and comes from Indonesia, while Fr Jef from Flanders (BEN province) has already spent 46 years in Latin America (Paraguay and Ecuador).

How did you meet Don Bosco?

Andy: When I was 20, I met a young Salesian by accident in a church in Jakarta. I had never heard of Don Bosco before.

Jef: I met Don Bosco at the oratory in the diocese of Bruges, Belgium as one of the youth. I went there every Sunday with my friends. I met Don Ackaert, a priest and friend who made Don Bosco's life come truly alive.

Are you happy?

Andy: All vocations have their challenges. Despite everything, I am very happy with what I am today. I am an enthusiastic and optimistic person and I hope to stay so, especially in my mind.

Jef: What characterizes me is that I feel happy as a Salesian and as a priest. I also learned a lot from ordinary people. That's how I thought I brought Jesus to the people, but he was already there before me.

How do you see the future of the faith?

Andy: I'm here in Amsterdam to live my faith totally. I want to make my faith visible to young people and therefore make the presence of Jesus tangible. Everyone believes in something, I think. If all Christians made their faith felt, I am convinced that there would be a great future for the faith and for Jesus Christ.

Jef: Being believers is a challenge. Here among the Shuar people faith was the force that supported everything. Now they look to the modern world and their faith fades. But the values of faith attract them, especially young people. And that is our task: to make Don Bosco alive, his heart, his faith for God, Jesus and the Church. Today, with these people.

How do you contribute to this future as a missionary?

Andy: I do the ordinary things that have been entrusted to me in the name of God. Every day I try to make the love, meekness and kindness of Christ tangible through my words and actions. This is only possible by staying close to people and living among young people.

Jef: I spend a lot of time with indigenous people, especially through youth ministry. We recently organized a large Youth Congress here. About 500 young people have arrived. It is the 18th Youth Congress in Ecuador.

How do you rate your experience?

Andy: Being a missionary in Flanders and the Netherlands is a big challenge! Just like a child, I had to learn everything from A to Z again. The language is difficult, the climate is terrible, the culture is different and the way of thinking is also completely different.

Jef: I am grateful to the Salesian Congregation for all that it has given me. From Westhoek I ended up here among the Shuar in Ecuador. For me it is something special. It is not my merit, but a gift from the Lord. And I thank the Lord for being able to do something for the young people. The young people themselves taught me a lot.

Do you have a dream?

Andy: My biggest dream is that people - and especially young people - can experience the love, sweetness, justice and kindness of Christ. And I pray that everything I do will bring them closer to Christ.

Jef: Yes, to continue my work among the people and to teach young people to discover Don Bosco.

NB: Fr. Jebarus is one of 7 missionaries for Project Europe in BEN Province.

• Link to the article 'Destini incrociati' (Crossed Destiny)

• 20200109_WOR0.jpg

20200109_WOR1.jpg

20200109_WOR2.jpg

20200109_WOR3.jpg

Maximum Attachments : 0Byte/ 15.00MB
    Maximum File Size : 15.00MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

1. 5312(III)_Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians in Myanmar

ALA_5312 Fifth group of Salesian Family in Myanmar: Missionary Sisters of Mary Help of Christians By MYM social communication Anisakan, Myanmar, 7 February 2020 -- Do you know how many Salesian Family Groups there are in the world? We have ...
      Date2020.02.08 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views204 file
      Read More
    2. 5312(II)_International Day of Prayer and Awareness against human trafficking

ALA_5312 Pope Francis invites us to hear the cry of the human trafficking victims Vatican 8 February 2020 -- While 20 July is United Nations World Day against Trafficking in Persons, established to raise awareness of the plight of human tra...
      Date2020.02.08 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views227 file
      Read More
    3. 5312(I)_Renewal of vows - installation of the New Rector of the Fiji Formation House

ALA_5312 By Br. Foua Peato Don Bosco House, Nakasi (Suva), Fiji Islands, 5 February 2020 -- On the 1st of February 2020, in the presence of Fr. William Mathews, four brothers recommit themselves to live in the Consecrated Life and Mission a...
      Date2020.02.08 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views163 file
      Read More
    4. 5311(III)_Encounter with Jesus in Tranquillity

ALA_5311 Annual Retreat and Congress of Aspirants of Don Bosco Vietnam By Aspirant Antony Le Van Khanh Salesian Retreat House, K’Long, Lam Dong, Vietnam 7 February 2020 -- After the Lunar Year vacation with families, at 5 p.m. on 01 Februar...
      Date2020.02.07 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views438 file
      Read More
    5. 5311(II)_DBTI Port Moresby: Safe Habits Crucial to Using Social Media

ALA_5311 By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 4 February 2020 -- The Don Bosco Technological Institute (DBTI) had a four-day orientation program for over 300 of its students to open the academic year. Held from the 3rd to 6th of ...
      Date2020.02.07 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views670 file
      Read More
    6. 5311(I)_SIHM in Thailand have ended their General Chapter

ALA_5311 By SIHM SC Ratchaburi, Thailand, 7 February 2020 -- On 5 February 2020, the 12th General Chapter of the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Ratchaburi Province, with the theme "Sisters of the Servants of the Immaculat...
      Date2020.02.07 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views285 file
      Read More
    7. 5310(IV)_How to assist the 6 'Salesian Cooperator-less' EAO countries?

ALA_5310 Who will become the first Salesian Cooperator from Myanmar? By Fr Bosco Zeya Aung Nazareth House - Anisakan, Myanmar, 5 February 2020 -- Even after 71 years of SDB Salesian presence in Myanmar (1939-2020) there are only four groups...
      Date2020.02.05 CategoryASC Reply0 Views455 file
      Read More
    8. 5310(III)_How do we experience these times of corona virus in our region?

ALA_5310 Every crisis is a God-given opportunity By our own correspondent EAO Region, 4 February 2020 -- During the last few weeks, most of the EAO Salesians have directly felt the impact of the recent Corona Virus crisis, especially after ...
      Date2020.02.05 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views401 file
      Read More
    9. 5310(II)_Don Bosco Celebration in Yokohama - Japan

ALA_5310 By Salesio Gakuin Social Communication Yokohama - Japan Yokohama, Japan, 4 February 2020 -- The traditional Don Bosco Festival was held on 31 January 2020, and we celebrated the anniversary of our Founder and Father with the whole ...
      Date2020.02.05 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views183 file
      Read More
    10. 5310(I)_The 12th General Chapter of The SIHM (Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary) in Thailand

ALA_5310 "SIHM: THE LIVING MESSAGE OF THE MISSION OF LOVE AND SERVICE IN THE MIDST OF THE PRESENT WORLD” By SIHM SC Ratchaburi, Thailand, 4 February 2020 -- From 1-5 February 2020, The Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary held t...
      Date2020.02.05 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views178 file
      Read More
    List
    Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 366 Next
    / 366