NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2019.07.14 05:32

5138_My life as a translator

Views 574 Comment 0

20190714_FIN.jpg

By Agnes P., VDB

Manila, the Philippines, 12 July 2019 -- Salesiana Publishers came out with the Don Bosco comics entitled “Johnny,” consisting of six issues on the life and times of Don Bosco. This was followed by the comics on Dominic Savio entitled “Saint at fifteen.” I saw these publications as helpful tools for the catechetical work we are doing in our little oratory in our non-Salesian parish. However, I thought that it would be better if these were in Tagalog. I broached the idea with Fr. Jose Reinoso, who said in reply: “Why don’t you do it yourself?” I took thiss as a challenge. Right after the cataract (February 2003) I undertook the translation of the comics into Tagalog. I presented the finished work with the hope of getting it published. Unfortunately, I was told that it was not possible due to copyright issues. It did not stop me from sharing the work with other catechists who were interested in it. We had to manage with photocopies of what I made.

My journey into Italian-English translation also came as a challenge that I imposed on myself.

During our formation years in the VDB Institute, our Ecclesiastical Assistant, Fr Lazaro Revilla, SDB, encouraged us to study Italian. He gave us basic Italian lessons during the weekends when we had our meetings. It was not really much but was enough to whet my appetite for the language.

In August 1989, I was the ex-officio representative of FILA in our 3rd General Assembly held in Frascati. Since I was then the Regional President, I had to make my rendiconto to our President General Gianna Martinelli. To do that, I had a translator. During that encounter, I jokingly told Gianna that the next time I have to make my rendiconto, I will do it without a translator. I turned serious and enrolled in the Italian language sessions offered by the Phil-Italian Association under the auspices of the Italian Embassy. I studied the rudiments but could not go into advanced studies due to my work in the bank and studies at the Don Bosco Center of Studies, Course on Lay Spirituality.

The scarcity of English formation materials for our Secular Institute in the face of numerous materials in Italian posed a challenge for me. I started translating some simple articles from the hard copies of Crescere [=Formation magazine of the Volunteers of Don Bosco] that we were getting from time to time. Word about the work I was doing reached Paolina Yip and she requested me to translate a copy of Crescere that she brought when she came to the Philippines for the first time.

My work expanded when our Center started to send me via e-mail the issues of Crescere. Later, I received the requests to send copies to other English speaking VDBs.

I was also able to translate the Directory and the Commentary on our Constitutions as a result of a need in our Region. Other formation materials had to be translated. These include the Guide to our traveling Retreat in Turin in 2016, Volume II of the Formation Aids, Basic Document of GA 7 and GA 8, Regulation of GA 8 and the book of Fr. Pier Luigi Cameroni, “Don Rinaldi.” At present, I help translate communications from the Center.

In the course of the years, I have accumulated two big Italian-English Dictionaries, numerous small ones, a book of Italian Idioms and other related books. I also have other dictionaries: English, Spanish and Latin. I had been looking for someone who would have the time to review my work but have not found one who could do it.

Despite the work I had been doing, I still cannot speak the language fluently. I need further studies and practice. To translate from English to Italian, I have to seek the help of the computer. There is really a great need for me to study further and practice more. Exposure to the language is quite important. However, I never had the opportunity for this, except during the times when I traveled to Italy for our General Assemblies, pilgrimages, and once, in 1996, on a research trip sponsored by the bank that I worked for."

NB - For many groups of the (Lay) Salesian Family in our Region, the ministry of translation is a life issue. Since the majority of their members are familiar mostly with the local languages, the task of keeping in touch with their charismatic roots and their present world leadership and animation is really extremely important. Our prayers for the upcoming 2nd EAO Salesian Translators Workshop in Myanmar.

Related materials:

Related news:

20190714_FIN1.jpg

20190714_FIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5962(I)_Don Bosco Technical School, Kokopo Celebrates Community Day

By Cl. Thomas Warawara Kokopo, East New Britain, PNG, 26 March 2023 -- “As the Yeast: Rise a Community Champion”. This was the theme of the community days’ celebration at Don Bosco Technical Secondary School Kokopo. The ce...
    Date2023.03.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views305 file
    Read More
  2. 5961(II)_Servant of God Akash Bashir: the simple and strong faith of young Akash

By Stefano Lodigiani (Agenzia Fides) Agenzia Fides, 21 march 2023 -- "We do not need and do not want civil war. We Christians are men of peace. Do not let pain cloud our gaze: may it always be the gaze of Christ and of his Gospel. What futu...
    Date2023.03.23 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views333 file
    Read More
  3. 5961(I)_Funeral Mass for Father Joseph Nguyen Tien My, SDB

Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 23 March 2023 -- The funeral Mass for Father Joseph Nguyen Tien My, SDB took place at 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 22, 2023, at Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Parish. Fr Joseph passed a way on 19/03/2023 at the age of 81. Father Pro...
    Date2023.03.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views361 file
    Read More
  4. 5960_Raising the Bar: Salesian Educators’ Congress 2023

By CYM correspondence Don Bosco Retreat House Lawaan, Cebu, Philippines, 21 March 2023 -- The recently concluded Salesian Educators’ Congress 2023 convened 230 Salesian educators and school leaders who share common vision in raising t...
    Date2023.03.21 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views416 file
    Read More
  5. 5959(II)_Interreligious Dialogue: Speaking Across Boundaries

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas Social Communication Delegate Cambodia Delegation THA Province Cambodia, Kep Province; on ZOOM, 20 March 2023 -- Following the program for the Social Communication School of Formation of EAO Region, Fr Albeiro Rodas pro...
    Date2023.03.20 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views339 file
    Read More
  6. 5959(I)_Annual Spiritual Retreat 2023

By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand, 20 March 2023 -- The Salesian Confreres of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos held their annual spiritual retreat from 12-18 March 2023 [1st batch] and from 19-25 March 2023 [2nd batch] under the theme “The Gift ...
    Date2023.03.20 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views682 file
    Read More
  7. 5958(II)_10th EAO Salesian Cooperator Congress with super-efficient preparation

By Dr Philip Yu, ASC World Councillor for the East Asia - Oceania Region 2014-2023 Photos are from the 2017 Tokyo-Japan ASC EAO regional Congress NB: This article was prepared for the World Council of Salesian Cooperators (March 17-20,2023)...
    Date2023.03.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views468 file
    Read More
  8. 5958(I)_Thriving through struggle!

Photo: Mr Peter Goodwin, Timon Stanley and Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Graduating students 2022 Stanley Timon VIP Audience With Mr Peter Goodwin Port Moresby, PNG, 17 March 2023 -- Stanley Timon completed his year 12 in 2016. His dream was to fu...
    Date2023.03.17 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  9. 5957(I)_"Founding Father" of austraLasia begins his six-year mandate as Superior of AFM

Readers of austraLasia will be aware that Fr Klement is a frequent contributor to this news service, but would perhaps be unaware that he was there at the very moment of its founding (when he was the Superior of the Korea Vice-province at t...
    Date2023.03.16 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views450 file
    Read More
  10. 5956(IV)_Altar Servers 2023 Congress at Don Bosco Dalat Community

By Huu Phuoc ASC Dalat City, Vietnam, 15 March 2023 -- On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at Dalat Community, the Provincial Youth Ministry Commission organized the 2023 Congress of Altar Servers for Lam Dong area. More than 420 altar boys attended ...
    Date2023.03.15 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views298 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... 533 Next
/ 533