?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

201505052_PNG-SI.jpg

By Fr Dominic Kachira, SDB

Bosconians’ day with the Rector Major in Solomon Islands

Tetere, Solomon Islands, 5 May 2015: The 3rd and last day of the Rector Major’s visit to Solomon Islands on 5 May 2015 was spent with the Bosconians of Tetere and Henderson. He visited the youth in the Correctional Home at Rove. His onward journey towards Salesian Centres in Fiji did not take place as planned, as the flights are delayed due to an earthquake at Kokopo in Papua New Guinea.

The day’s program began at 8.00 AM with a “Youth mass”, in honour of St. Dominic Savio, a student in Don Bosco’s Oratory. The Eucharistic celebration was presided over by Bishop Luciano Capelli SDB of Gizo. During the the homily given by the Rector Major and translated by Fr. Vaclav Klement, Fr. Angel spoke about youthful sanctity. He gave the example of two Bosconians of Latin America, Zepherinus Namancura and Laura Vicuna, who were tribals like the listeners. They both died young, like Dominic Savio, leaving behind a legacy of virtue and sanctity. In Solomon Islands too, the same Bosconian system of education is being followed. The challenge is to want to do something more with our lives, the desire to give than to receive. The Eucharistic celebration was lively youthful hymns and dances.

After Mass, there was an informal interaction with the students. Many interesting queries were put by the students. One was interested to know why the Rector Major undertook such a strenuous journey all the way from Rome to meet us here, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand and Australia. He said that he is glad to be with young people and intends to visit the young wherever there are found in Salesian centres all over the world.

To the question why he became a Salesian Fr. Angel narrated briefly narrated his vocation story. Although he was intending to pursue studies in Medicine or chemistry in the university, God pointed to him another direction – the Salesian way. In appreciation, one of the students presented him a home-made bamboo school bag which he wore and moved around with the young.

Later he visited the Holy Cross Cathedral and proceeded to meet the young in the Juvenile Home (Correctional Center) at Honiara - Rove and presented them some Salesian mementos.

He has accepted the bad news of his flight to Fiji being cancelled with a sense of humour, and said that he is glad to spend more time with his Salesians in Solomon Islands. At the end of this day he was able even to enjoy some moments of relax at the Honiara beach.

Don Bosco’s Successor meets the youth in the Correctional Home at Rove in Solomon Islands

Honiara, 5 May 2015: On 5 May, 2015 at 11.15 AM, the Rector Major of the Salesians of Don Bosco visited a Correctional Home at Rove in Solomon Islands. Due to communication lapses he had to wait patiently to be permitted to meet the Juveniles. However, the wait was worthwhile as all those who accompanied him were permitted inside. At present there are 270 inmates, among them 20 young people (under 18 years of age), the Rector Major met 13 of them today.

The youngsters sang “thank you for your love” demonstrating their musical and vocal talents. Speaking to them he recalled how Don Bosco, as a young priest used to visit the prisons of Turin and was a friend of young people and tried to prevent their ever being in prison.

The Salesians continue to be a “Father, friend and educator” like Don Bosco in 132 countries. Fr. Angel encouraged them saying “Life is beautiful. You can make more beautiful after you leave this place”. He gave each one some mementos including a life sketch of Don Bosco.

The two Don Bosco Institutions at Tetere and Henderson take care of the prison ministry assisting the youth to learn a trade (6 months long course of welding).

201505052_PNG-SI1.jpg

201505052_PNG-SI2.jpg

201505052_PNG-SI3.jpg

201505052_PNG-SI4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2015.05.12 18:40
    Dear and Very Rev. Fr. Angel,
    Greetings!
    It has been a delight to be with you and accompany you through Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands together with the other Salesians.  I enjoyed the days in the Delegation.
    At the end of the trip - as I look back, my visit to the Juvenile wing of the Correctional Home at Rove was indeed the highlight.
    I recall my regular trips to Prison in 1999 when we ran a small workshop and then every month for the celebration of the Eucharist in the different wings.  Uncertain of what to expect on that morning, I was surprised that it was a very lively interaction and an excellent response from the youngsters as well as cooperation and welcome from the prison guards and above all the superintendent.  They did go out of their way to give us a good experience.  Thanks to Fr. Dominic and the team for thinking of the visit and getting it organised.
    Thank you above all for you patience and love and for spending time with them.
    Yes indeed there was suffering but also Humanness, Faith and Hope....
    With gratitude for your encouragement and for all your support.
    We look forward to animate and offer them the possibilities to rebuild their lives anew.
    Blessings.
    Ambrose sdb

1. 4142_New Delegate Superior in the Land of the Blue Sky

By Fr. Antony Kishore, SDB Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, 24 September 2016 -- Fr. Paul Leung has been installed as a new Mongolian Delegate and Rector of Mary Help of Christian community Ulaanbaatar. He made profession of faith in front of all the...
    Date2016.09.25 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views863 file
    Read More
  2. 4141_Come be missionaries!

By Bro. Jomar Castillo, SDB Turin, Italy, 24 September 2016 -- I am Bro. Jomar, a Salesian Coadjutor, from Philippines North (FIN) bound to Manaus, Brazil (BMA). I had a chance to interview Fr. Alfred about the Orientation Course for New Mi...
    Date2016.09.24 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1370 file
    Read More
  3. 4140(II)_Do you know Chieri today?

Chieri, ten years of Don Bosco life By Fr. Eligio Caprioglio, SDB Chieri SDB community rector Chieri, Italy, 22 September 2016 -- Three years after being transferred from Ivrea (former Missionary Aspirantate) to Chieri (city of 35.000 where...
    Date2016.09.23 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views753 file
    Read More
  4. 4140(I)_Moving Towards the “New Preventive System”

By Fr. Gary Carbon, SDB Tainan, Taiwan, 22 September 2016 -- Our Rector Major emeritus, Don Pascual Chavez, once said in his conference in Ratisbonne, Jerusalem (February 19, 2015) on the “new preventive system”: “If there is New Evangeliza...
    Date2016.09.23 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views891 file
    Read More
  5. 4139(III)_DBCS Responded to Fire, Welcomed Victims

By Cl. Jerome Quinto, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 21 September 2016 -- Salesians, students, and lay mission partners of Don Bosco Center of Studies (DBCS) responded immediately to a third-alarm fire that broke out in a section of a...
    Date2016.09.22 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views760 file
    Read More
  6. 4139(II)_Communion of comunities in Hamamatsu

Model for Yokohama diocese multicultural communities – Hamamatsu By Fr. Angel Yamanouchi, SDB Yokohama, Japan, 21 September 2016 -- The Year of Mercy in Yokohama diocese is marked visibly by two Holy Doors – one in the Cathedral of Yokohama...
    Date2016.09.22 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views911 file
    Read More
  7. 4139(I)_From Myanmar to South Sudan

Report of the first Salesian missionary from Myanmar By Cl. Francisco Biu, SDB Nairobi, Keyna, 21 September 2016 -- Please, pray for South Sudan! The civil war which broke out in 2013 (South Sudan - Juba) still continues until today. And it...
    Date2016.09.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1125 file
    Read More
  8. 4138_For you I study, for you I give all!

Japanese missionary in South Sudan By Cl. Chihiro Morito, SDB Moshi, Tanzania, 19 September 2016 -- Among the 75 young Salesian postnovices of Moshi (Tanzania) international formation community is also one Japanese missionary (related story...
    Date2016.09.21 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1153 file
    Read More
  9. 4137_Learning how to be a missionary!

Timor Leste missionary in Japan attends a missionary course in Brazil By Fr Da Silva Ambrósio Lucas, SDB Sao Paulo, Brazil, 20 September -- Fr. Ambrosio is the youngest Salesian Missionary in Japan (31 years) where he arrived few months aft...
    Date2016.09.20 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views748 file
    Read More
  10. 4136(II)_Lectio Divina changed my life

An interview with Mons. Joseph Prathan, SDB, Bishop of Surrathani, Thailand By Our Own Correspondent Surrathani, Thailand, 18 September 2016 -- Why and how did you start with your passion for the Word of God/ through the Lectio? After finis...
    Date2016.09.19 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views938 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 ... 536 Next
/ 536