Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5252

20191116_FIS.jpg

Don Bosco's charism is timeless and relevant today

By Ms. Zennaida Ann Miranda (Taichi)

Cebu, Philippines, 16 November 2019 -- The series of interviews with our EAO lay missionary volunteers (who are sent) and the receving SDB communities (who welcome them) continues. We believe, these stories will inspire more Salesians to open their hearts and doors for this important Youth Ministry and Missionary experience with and for the young.

How was your volunteer experience?

Myanmar is one of the least countries that I would have liked to go to. I had not heard so much about it in the past. But when I learned that Don Bosco had a desire to go for missionary work in Myanmar I started to get interested in the place as well and wanted to see the answers myself. I was curious why he wanted to be there so I applied for volunteer work in Myanmar for 3 months. I was placed at Anisakan and my main task was to help the youth enhance their English language. It was not as easy as I thought. The notion of being away from home and going out from my comfort zone, experiencing back pain for 2 months since I arrived there and not being able to sleep well because the pain was too much to bear were my stress during my volunteer service. But it did not discourage me and it was not a big deal for me after all. It helped a lot that the Salesians especially in the community where I stayed in Myanmar were very warm to me and treated me just like family. I appreciated how they supported me all throughout. I was genuinely happy to be with the boys and youth especially when they sought my help because they wanted to learn more. I was enriched to witness Don Bosco’s active works for the youth in a different context and culture. It was reaffirming to see the presence of the Salesians among the youth whether at play or prayer, in studies or in work time. It was also heartwarming for me to know the seemingly insurmountable history of survival of the Salesian works in Myanmar until now. It was something that ignites me more to be a collaborator in Don Bosco’s mission in one way or another. I admit that 3 months was not enough and I yearn to do for more. If given a chance to do volunteer work again, I would like to dedicate longer service commitment or even a lifetime, whichever God calls me to do.

What was one of the greatest joys of the experience?

Being with the boys and youth, talking to them, playing and praying with them, imparting my knowledge to them especially the lessons of life and seeing them smiling back at you.

What was the one of the biggest challenges of the experience?

The language barrier made it difficult for me to engage in deeper conversations with the people there especially the youth. Sometimes I could feel that they (especially the boys and youth) wanted to talk to me but opted not to by running away or keeping silent when I was around because they were shy to speak in English. It could have been better if I put an effort in to know the language well even if I only stayed for 3 months so I could help more, know them better, learn and inspire from their life stories and establish good and lasting relationships with them.

One thing you learned from your volunteer experience?

Don Bosco’s deep love for the poor especially the children and youth, the reason why he wanted to go to Myanmar and the power of active presence and accompaniment of Salesians among the young.

How has this experience impacted your life journey?

It was a journey of spiritual nourishment for me. Despite the fact that I was assigned to a Buddhist country, I was amazed to see myself and the Catholic community there immersed actively in the daily and regular spiritual activities (holy mass, rosary, morning and evening prayers, holy hour, weekly prayer meetings in one of the homes of a Catholic family) in Anisakan from morning to evening. It was something I really thought back over a lot and asked myself how could I not do it everyday back at home when I’m blessed enough to have lived in a Catholic country.

What does Don Bosco mean to you after this experience?

I think Don Bosco was really a man of God. His charism is timeless and his ministry for the poor and less fortunate youth is still relevant nowadays wherever it may be around the globe. Even though he has died, he still continues to fascinate people like me and becomes my instrument to grow strong in faith while I take part in his mission for the youth.

What can the message of Don Bosco offer to the world of today?

Don Bosco’s message offer a great hope to the world today - a hope for the poor and less fortunate children and youth to have second chances and to live a better life; a hope with utmost trust and confidence for fraternal solidarity among the Salesians of today despite the differences; and a hope for humanity, that is to save our souls.

20191116_FIS1.jpg

20191116_FIS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5975(VI)_Don Bosco Parish Fiji Youth Gathering

By Falefa Elia Nasinu (Suva) Fiji, 28 April 2023 -- The Catholic Youth Gathering at Don Bosco Parish in Fiji was a resounding success, bringing together young Catholics from all over the country to strengthen their companionship and faith i...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views304 file
    Read More
  2. 5975(V)_Father Provincial Barnabas meets Dalat Community Cooperators

By Viet SC Don Bosco Da Lat, Vietnam, 28 April 2023 -- On the evening of April 26, during the visit to the Don Rua Community (Don Bosco Da Lat), Father Barnabas Le An Phong had a meeting with Cooperators of the Mother Help of Christians Cen...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryASC Reply0 Views286 file
    Read More
  3. 5975(IV)_Rector Major’s visit to Brunswick Community

The future is in good hands.” By Afia Enosa SDB Brunswick (Melbourne), Australia, 27 April 2023 -- Within his very tight schedule for the Centenary celebrations, the Rector Major, Father Ángel Fernández Artime made a sho...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views271 file
    Read More
  4. 5975(III)_Witnessing to constant vocational and charismatic growth - ASC Korea

By Salesian Cooperators Provincial Council KOR Seoul, South Korea, 28 April 2023 -- Six years after the previous EAO regional congress in Tokyo (May 2017) each of the 8 Salesian ASC provinces in the East Asia - Oceania Region is preparing f...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryASC Reply0 Views279 file
    Read More
  5. 5975(II)_“Realising Don Bosco’s Dream for Oceania”

PGS Vice-Province expanding to Vanuatu By Ms. Isabella Saleu Don Bosco Past Pupil-PNG Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 27 Aprril 2023 -- The first Salesians had arrived in Papua New Guinea on June 14, 1980. The presence of Fr. Valeriano Barb...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views392 file
    Read More
  6. 5975(I)_Philippines ADMA National Council and Foundation Day Celebration

By Maria Junifer Makati, Manila, Philippines, 28 April 2023 -- On 23 April 2023, ADMA members in the Philippines convened for the General Council Meeting and celebration of ADMA's Foundation Day. This was held in Roozen Hall, St. John B...
    Date2023.04.28 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views229 file
    Read More
  7. 5974(III)_Emmaus Journey with a difference! The Rector Major at St Marys Parish and Youth Centre

By Fr. Will Matthews St Mary's, Western Sydney, Australia, 24 April 2023 -- The third day of Rector-Major Fr Ángel Fernández Artime’s visit to Australia saw him travel to St Mary’s an extremely diverse suburb l...
    Date2023.04.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views409 file
    Read More
  8. 5974(II)_English-speaking Salesian Family Delegates meet in Turin

By Br. Clarence Watts SDB (AFM) Colle Don Bosco, Turin, Italy, 24 April 2023 -- On Friday 14 April, the Salesian Family Delegates [31 in total] from the English-speaking provinces gathered at Colle Don Bosco to begin their course on various...
    Date2023.04.24 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views336 file
    Read More
  9. 5974(I)_ADMA in the Southern Philippines - dynamic ongoing animation brings fruits

By Fr. Godofredo Atienza, SDB Spiritual animator ADMA Cebu, Philippines, 24 April 2023 -- Maayung buntag sa tanan! Happy Easter from Cebu! ADMA in the FIS province is growing through patient, enthusiastic and ongoing animation. We would jus...
    Date2023.04.24 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views376 file
    Read More
  10. 5973(III)_Day Two: Fr Ángel then took it upon himself to entertain the crowd!

Engadine, Sydney, Australia, 23 April 2023 -- Day two of the Rector Major Fr Ángel Fernández Artime’s visit to Australia began with a tour of the Don Bosco Shrine, or St John Bosco Parish Church, guided by Fr Frank Berta...
    Date2023.04.23 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views449 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... 533 Next
/ 533