Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1542 Comment 1

20160102_AUL.jpg

By Cl. Matthew Saisawang 'Jack', SDB
Theology student Don Bosco House - Clifton Hill

Melbourne, Australia, 2 Ajnuary 2016 - It is almost a year that I have been away from my country, Thailand: from March 31, 2015 until now. I would like to share my experiences and the challenges of living and studying as a Salesian international student in Australia. To be honest, when I first arrived in Australia, I could not understand a word. Even though I had been learning English for many years, the Australian accent sounded very strange; it is so flat and fast. Furthermore, Aussies use a lot of slang speech. For this reason, I have tried to learn some Aussie slang from Salesian confreres in the community in order to understand how the locals speak.

The second challenge has to do with the Australian culture, in particular, equality. While I was studying English at ACU, some of the students would address the teacher by his first name, which was strange to me, because in Thailand we have a hierarchy, and commonly address teachers by their title, such as teacher or professor. However, I have learnt that Aussies are uncomfortable with differences in status and hence idealize treating everyone equally. A final challenge has been that the ways of greeting and farewell are slightly different from Thai culture. The first time that I had to shake hands or hug someone as a greeting, I felt shy and uncomfortable. Now I realise that this is part of Western culture. These have been the main challenges facing me as an international student in Australia, and now I feel as though I’m settling in Australia.

Aside for learning slang in the community, the main purpose of my first year was to study the Academic English course at Australian Catholic University (ACU). I have learnt about English for Academic Purposes to prepare me for studying Theology. Initially it was quite difficult, so I had to study hard in order to communicate correctly and effectively. This sometimes made me feel stressed and despairing, but through the helps of teachers and my Salesian confreres in Clifton Hill, I have gradually learnt to use English more fluently than before.

I would like to share about Salesian life in Australia in terms of pastoral work. As I said before, my focus was to study English in the first year, so I could not do as much pastoral work as I was used to doing in Thailand. On the other hand, I was grateful to have the opportunity twice a month of going to the Youth Centre in Brunswick, where I learnt something of the young Aussie lifestyle, played soccer with the kids and practiced my English in speaking and listening to them. From this, I could see a different way of thinking between the young people of Australia and Thailand, which I believe will be useful for me in my future as a Salesian working with young people.

The most joyful and happy moments of my life have come from living in the Salesian community at Clifton Hill. There are now 11 confreres from many countries and different backgrounds, but we all share the same mission. In my opinion, I am very lucky to have the opportunity to learn and to share in different cultural values. I have learnt many things from the Aussie Salesians, for example; Aussie English (eg. Idioms, slang), traditional foods (eg. pavlova, BBQ) and Australian history (eg. Indigenous history and Colonialism). I have also come to learn about Timorese, Vietnamese, Malagasy and Chinese cultures. In this international community we share a common family spirit.

Therefore, I would like to thank God through the Thai and Australian Provinces for giving me the wonderful opportunity to live and study in Australia. In this year, 2016, I am looking forward to studying Theology, and to more EAO confreres coming to join in with the Salesian family spirit at Clifton Hill, Victoria, Melbourne, Australia.

20160102_AUL1.jpg

20160102_AUL2.jpg

20160102_AUL3.jpg

20160102_AUL4.jpg

20160102_AUL5.jpg

20160102_AUL6.jpg

20160102_AUL7.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4389(IV)_Coraggio! - A long journey to become a Salesian Cooperator

Akira Taniguchi (left) with Mr. Chihiro Okawa, DB Past Pupil Shizuoka Salesio Cooperators are growing in vocation By Mr. Akira Taniguchi, ASC Shizuoka, Japan, 26 May 2017 -- Among the 27 newly promised Salesian Cooperators coming from 6 dif...
    Date2017.05.26 CategoryASC Reply0 Views983 file
    Read More
  2. 4389(III)_Graduation ceremony in Don Bosco Non-formal School

By Fr. Anthony Kishore Minj, SDB Darkhan, Mongolia, 24 May 2017 -- It was a great moment of joy for Don Bosco study center Darkhan as the school organized a graduation day. The students who had an intensive 50 days course on English languag...
    Date2017.05.26 CategoryMong. Reply0 Views660 file
    Read More
  3. 4389(II)_DBTS honours Mary, the Mother and Protectress of our family

By Mr Narol Sapak and Fr. Angel Sanchez, SDB Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea -- On the 24th of May 2017, the Educative Pastoral Community of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, gathered to celebrate the Feast of Mary Help of Christians at he...
    Date2017.05.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1012 file
    Read More
  4. 4389(I)_Bishop Olivier presided Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians in Don Bosco Kep

By Fr. Albeiro Rodas, SDB Kep City, Cambodia, 23 May 2017 -- Bishop Olivier Schmitthaeusler, Apostolic Vicar of Phnom Penh, presided the celebrations of the Solemnity of Mary Help of Christians in the Salesian Community of Don Bosco Technic...
    Date2017.05.25 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views980 file
    Read More
  5. 4388(II)_Surprise of Pope Francis - Laos Gets its first Cardinal

By Our Own Correspondent Vatican, 24 May 2017 -- Only six months after the beatification of the first Laotian Martyrs (December 2016) Pope Francis has named Bishop Louis-Marie Ling Mangkhanekhoun, Apostolic Vicar of Pakse, as the first ever...
    Date2017.05.24 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views1121 file
    Read More
  6. 4388(I)_Celebrations at Mary Help of Christians Parish, Sabama

By Mrs. Violet Ikupu, ASC Port Moresby, PNG, 24 May 2017 -- The parish of Mary Help of Christians, Sabama had a nice celebration on 21st May, 2017. It was held in the community playing field of Pari, a mass centre of the parish. Nearly 700 ...
    Date2017.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4950 file
    Read More
  7. 4387_"They have no more wine"

Celebrating the Solemnity of Our Mother By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB EAO, 24 May 2017 -- When Don Philip Rinaldi (1856-1931) passed away the Salesian found on his desk under a small statue of Mary Help of Christians many small sheets of paper...
    Date2017.05.24 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views979 file
    Read More
  8. 4386_Ongoing formation course in missionary ministry 2017

By Fr. Guillermo Basañes, SDB General Councilor for the Missions UPS (Salesian Pontifical University), Rome, 23 May 2017 -- This is already the 21st edition of the ‘Missionary course’ started by Fr. Luciano Odorico in 1995, organized in col...
    Date2017.05.23 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views602 file
    Read More
  9. 4385(IV)_Final Profession during Parish Feast Day Mass

By Fr Phil Gleeson, SDB Clifton Hill, Australia, 21 May 2017 -- On Sunday 21 May the Salesian Parish of Our Lady of the Southern Cross (an amalgamation of the parishes of St Joseph’s Collingwood and St John’s Clifton Hill) celebrated its Fe...
    Date2017.05.22 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views786 file
    Read More
  10. 4385(III)_ITM Vice-province qualification - work in progress

By Fr. Ilidio Correia, SDB Paranaque, the Philippines, 21 May 2017 -- Thank so much for various felicitations on my graduation. I intended to ‘mute’ it but thanks to the blessed Face-book it was blown up by the posting of the brothers in Ma...
    Date2017.05.22 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views974 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ... 536 Next
/ 536