austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Saitama - Tokyo, Japan, 29 November 2019 -- "From November 23 to 26 we received Pope Francis in Japan. We were surprised by his warm closeness, by his vigorous messages against the use and immoral possession of atomic weapons, on the protection of human life and the care of Creation, on the solidarity of refugees and immigrants." Thus says the Bishop of Saitama, Salesian Mario Yamanouchi.

I believe that no man can endure such a dense program of activities with such a diverse audience, always with a smile on his face: it was the presence of a man full of God's love. As a bishop I was able to shake hands with the Pope four times. I remember the second, after Mass in Nagasaki, when greeting me he said: "And you, behave yourself. See you soon ... ", before giving me a pat on the back and getting in the car.

The first gesture with which he entered into harmony with the bishops

On the evening of the 23rd, as soon as he arrived at the Nunciature, he stepped from the car to greet about 200 people who were waiting under a heavy rain, thanking them for the welcome, without bothering to take cover himself. Then inside the Nunciature, when he finished reading the written greeting, he proposed an unscheduled program variation, saying that he was available if we wanted to ask him a few questions: "So we have a moment of fraternal dialogue."

After the third question, the President of the Episcopal Conference reminded him that the following morning the Pope had to take the plane at six and proposed to finish there. But the Pope spontaneously replied: "Ah, you are already tired, hungry, do you want to go home? I'm fine with you now, but if you want to go, no problem." After the translation there was a burst of laughter and then time for two more questions/gifts: the last one was by me, who gave him a "bolero" (a traditional game) with the papal coat of arms, while I asked him a question.

Meeting with young people in Tokyo Cathedral

On 25 November, after the meeting of the triple disaster in Fukushima, he arrived in the Cathedral of Tokyo to be welcomed by numerous children from various elementary schools. Then, upon entering, he was greeted by the youthful bustle of 900 voices. Three children then spoke, and I was very impressed by the second testimony, that of a teacher of Buddhist religion who neither his family nor the people in his school knew was a believer and a practitioner; and also from the third, of a Japanese-Filipino boy, a victim of bullying. The Pope encouraged everyone and gave everyone a rosary with his blessing. Everybody shouted continuously, but they didn't say: "Papa Francisco", but, with a Japanese accent: "Viva, Papa Franciscó". Many other gestures and episodes remain that are etched in my heart, some visible even on my Facebook page.

I conclude with the words in Spanish, with which the young people of the University of Sofia greeted the Pope at the exit: "Esta es la juventud del Papa".

Related news article (Espanol): Religion Digital (Spain) - Interview with Bishop Yamanouchi before the Pope visit in Japan 

https://www.religiondigital.org/mundo/Monsenor-Mario-Yamanouchi-pastoralmente-Japon-periferias-existenciales-francisco-visita-papal_0_2177182265.html

20191129_GIA8.jpg

20191129_GIA9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5987_'Laudato Si Week 2023 with Pope Francis 'The Letter' movie

By Don Bosco Green Alliance EAO Eco Team The world, 21 May 2023 -- The 2023 annual Laudato Si' week with its theme ‘Hope for Earth - Hope for Humanity’ is already upon us (21-28 May). The 'Laudato Si' movement is ani...
    Date2023.05.21 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views452 file
    Read More
  2. 5986_What is Salesian Vocation Culture?

By Salesian Youth Ministry Sector Valdocco, Italy, 18 May 2023 -- During this 'Vocation' month of May each Salesian province holds a large variety of vocation events - Come and See opportunities, Vocation exhibitions, Open doors in ...
    Date2023.05.19 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views325 file
    Read More
  3. 5985(II)_ASC Korea province congress and new province leadership

By ASC Korea province Social Communication Seoul, Korea, 16 May 2023 -- The 9th Provincial Congress of the Association of Salesian Cooperators in Korea was held on 14 May on the 7th floor chapel of the SDB Provincial House and attended by 4...
    Date2023.05.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views430 file
    Read More
  4. 5985(I)_Warming hearts in Yakutsk

First year of Korean Salesian in Yakutsk Yakutsk (Russian Federation)-Seoul, South Korea 17 May 2023 -- Time is flying! It's already one year since Fr Matthew Moon, SDB from the Korea province arrived in Yakutsk, to enrich this most nor...
    Date2023.05.17 Reply0 Views283 file
    Read More
  5. 5984(IV)_2023 Novena to Mary Help of Christians with Past Pupils of DB

Worldwide, 16 May 2023 -- As with every year, these 9 days before the Novena to Mary Help of Christians are a very special time of grace, prayer, common reflection and spiritual animation for the whole Salesian Family. Thanks to the already...
    Date2023.05.16 Reply0 Views296 file
    Read More
  6. 5984(III)_TLS Salesian Cooperators Welcome New 15 Members

By TLS SC Venilale, Timor-Leste, 16 May 2023 -- On Saturday, 13 May 2023, on the occasion of the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima and the Feast of St Mary Domenica Mazzarello, fifteen men and women made their promise as Salesian Cooperators befo...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryASC Reply0 Views324 file
    Read More
  7. 5984(II)_Foundation stones blessed for St John Bosco Church FIji

By Falefa Elia Suva, Fiji, 16 May 2023 -- The parishioners of St John Bosco Parish (Suva, FiJi) gathered on a wet Friday morning (12 May 2023) for the blessing of the foundation of its first parish church. Archbishop Peter Loy Chong of Fiji...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views317 file
    Read More
  8. 5984(I)_Vietnam - Decline in religious vocations and in the Salesian Family

By Vietnam Salesian Family HCM City, Vietnam, 16 May 2023 -- Since the end of the Vietnam War the Catholic community of this large South East Asian country is known all around the world for a large number of religious and priestly vocations...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views367 file
    Read More
  9. 5983(II)_Artificial Intelligence – challenge of our time

By Fr. Jaroslav Vracovský SDB and Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB ZOOM, 11 May 2023 -- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Do we need to be afraid of it? How can we make use of it? How can we use it on a pedagogical basis in our everyday l...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views358 file
    Read More
  10. 5983(I)_Laudato Si Youth Camp - In Time for Earth Day

By Amanda Lomoi, Leila Baoroba and Heautani Babona Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 12 May 2023 -- The Laudato Si' Youth Camp was held from 21 to 22 April at the gymnasium of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko campus. The program was o...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views380 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 533 Next
/ 533