Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 959 Comment 0

20190517_PGS.jpg

Interview with Cl. Paulus Bataona, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Kumgi, PNG, 17 May 2019 -- Since last September 2018, Cl. Paulus Bataona (INA) has been doing the second year of his practical training in PGS Viceprovince (Papua New Guinea, Kumgi) as part of his missionary vocation discernment. His community is 'DB Tech Kumgi' with 4 SDBs (Rector Fr. Robinson Parapilly).

How did you happen to be here in PNG from Indonesia?

Last year I applied to be a missionary, but still in need of missionary discernment. My rector contacted the Indonesia Delegate and then through the EAO Regional my PNG missionary experience was arranged. It took only two months to process all documents so I arrived on the 2nd week of September 2018 in Port Moresby.

How was the adaptation period in PNG?

Every morning one hour in the provincial house for two weeks about the culture and country with Fr Provincial. I was sent to Kumgi, where Cl. Bernard was last year as a practical trainee to assist the boys in our school boarding house.

How is the ordinary weekday life with the 173 school boarding house boys?

Daily before the school starts at 7:40 AM until 4 PM I’m assistinl with sports and when they need anything, many call on me to help between the school and the Salesian house. During lunch breaks I spend the time with the boys in basketball court. After 4 PM the boys cook by themselves in small groups and from 6:30 they have study time (= it's our SDB prayer time), then later we pray the Rosary together and have a Good NIght Talk with them. 10 PM is the curfew. My bedroom is in the dormitory, apart from the Salesian house.

How do you feel in the 4 SDB community?

All of us are from different cultures and all of us are missionaries, all with different way of thinking. Community prayer is an experience, even if there are just two of us we sing in our small chapel. Fraternal sharing – we use the dinner table and weekly times on Saturday for Bible sharing (Lectio divina), recollection and community meetings. Not difficult to adjust to other culture confreres, first with Cl. Bernard (PNG national) and also with three Salesian missionary priests (two from India and one from the Philippines) of my community.

What do you learn from the PNG youth?

Learning their character, learn how to understand them. Here the Don Bosco Preventive System works in a different way. We call them when they need correction, unlike in Indonesia if you don’t raise your voice the boys don't follow. After 6 months already know all 197 of them by name and they come from all corners of PNG. Their ages vary – from 23 years to 32 years.

Our youth are accustomed to not so much food, their only big meal is usually a dinner. They are are at home in social media. Although the internet connection in PNG is rather expensive, when they log in to Instagram or Youtube, they may forget about eating. And all of them have their Facebook connection, even if they stay hungry. Dialogue with our boys is more easy than in Sumba (Indonesia) where I spent the first year of my practical training. So it's also easy to be approached, when they asked about vocation. There is a vocation sodality in the school and vocation-mission group for the Sunday volunteering in the Oratory experience.

Any challenges as practical trainee?

I need to learn more about the culture and the language. The main local language, Pidgin English, I can understand already a lot, but speaking in Pidgin is till at the beginning. Community life is another challenge, since we are coming from different cultural backgrounds. Again to understand English is easier than to express myself in English in a nuanced way. That is quite difficult.

Also the Preventive System of Don Bosco makes a difference. Assist here is not easy. When we were two practical trainees looking for 45 boys in Sumba (INA) we try never leave our boys alone, always one SDB was present with the boys. But now in Kumgi with 190 boys I'm the only assistant, and I do my best to assist them. So I try to stay with the boys all possible times and even cook and eat with them twice a week.

How are the practical trainees accompanied in PNG?

Last month we met in Port Moresby with Fr. Ariel, all 4 of us – one from Dominican Republic, one from India and one from Japan. Four different nationalities, before in Indonesia there was also an annual meeting, but here the cultural difference brings more dynamics. Our meeting is useful to share about ‘how to assist’ properly with input and some questions for personal sharing.

What makes you happy in practical training in PNG?

The boys in the hostel really need our help, whenever I’m with them I feel it very much. Our boys they share, I’m excited to listen to their personal sharing and this is the reason why I would like to become a missionary. There are so many youth in need to be assisted - it makes me happy!

And what about your next step?

After first year of practical training in Indonesia (Sumba) and now during my second year of practical training in PNG (Kumgi) I feel, that my missionary vocaiton is being confirmed. Of course, I still need to improve in English, with help of some teachers and also with my personal effort of translating. I hope I would be able to be member of the Salesian missionary expedition next year.

Related article

20190517_PGS1.jpg

20190517_PGS2.jpg

20190517_PGS3.jpg

20190517_PGS4.jpg

20190517_PGS5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5987_'Laudato Si Week 2023 with Pope Francis 'The Letter' movie

By Don Bosco Green Alliance EAO Eco Team The world, 21 May 2023 -- The 2023 annual Laudato Si' week with its theme ‘Hope for Earth - Hope for Humanity’ is already upon us (21-28 May). The 'Laudato Si' movement is ani...
    Date2023.05.21 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views452 file
    Read More
  2. 5986_What is Salesian Vocation Culture?

By Salesian Youth Ministry Sector Valdocco, Italy, 18 May 2023 -- During this 'Vocation' month of May each Salesian province holds a large variety of vocation events - Come and See opportunities, Vocation exhibitions, Open doors in ...
    Date2023.05.19 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views325 file
    Read More
  3. 5985(II)_ASC Korea province congress and new province leadership

By ASC Korea province Social Communication Seoul, Korea, 16 May 2023 -- The 9th Provincial Congress of the Association of Salesian Cooperators in Korea was held on 14 May on the 7th floor chapel of the SDB Provincial House and attended by 4...
    Date2023.05.17 CategoryASC Reply0 Views430 file
    Read More
  4. 5985(I)_Warming hearts in Yakutsk

First year of Korean Salesian in Yakutsk Yakutsk (Russian Federation)-Seoul, South Korea 17 May 2023 -- Time is flying! It's already one year since Fr Matthew Moon, SDB from the Korea province arrived in Yakutsk, to enrich this most nor...
    Date2023.05.17 Reply0 Views283 file
    Read More
  5. 5984(IV)_2023 Novena to Mary Help of Christians with Past Pupils of DB

Worldwide, 16 May 2023 -- As with every year, these 9 days before the Novena to Mary Help of Christians are a very special time of grace, prayer, common reflection and spiritual animation for the whole Salesian Family. Thanks to the already...
    Date2023.05.16 Reply0 Views296 file
    Read More
  6. 5984(III)_TLS Salesian Cooperators Welcome New 15 Members

By TLS SC Venilale, Timor-Leste, 16 May 2023 -- On Saturday, 13 May 2023, on the occasion of the Feast of Our Lady of Fatima and the Feast of St Mary Domenica Mazzarello, fifteen men and women made their promise as Salesian Cooperators befo...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryASC Reply0 Views324 file
    Read More
  7. 5984(II)_Foundation stones blessed for St John Bosco Church FIji

By Falefa Elia Suva, Fiji, 16 May 2023 -- The parishioners of St John Bosco Parish (Suva, FiJi) gathered on a wet Friday morning (12 May 2023) for the blessing of the foundation of its first parish church. Archbishop Peter Loy Chong of Fiji...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views317 file
    Read More
  8. 5984(I)_Vietnam - Decline in religious vocations and in the Salesian Family

By Vietnam Salesian Family HCM City, Vietnam, 16 May 2023 -- Since the end of the Vietnam War the Catholic community of this large South East Asian country is known all around the world for a large number of religious and priestly vocations...
    Date2023.05.16 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views367 file
    Read More
  9. 5983(II)_Artificial Intelligence – challenge of our time

By Fr. Jaroslav Vracovský SDB and Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB ZOOM, 11 May 2023 -- What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? Do we need to be afraid of it? How can we make use of it? How can we use it on a pedagogical basis in our everyday l...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views358 file
    Read More
  10. 5983(I)_Laudato Si Youth Camp - In Time for Earth Day

By Amanda Lomoi, Leila Baoroba and Heautani Babona Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 12 May 2023 -- The Laudato Si' Youth Camp was held from 21 to 22 April at the gymnasium of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko campus. The program was o...
    Date2023.05.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views380 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 533 Next
/ 533