?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 4490 Comment 5
20150619_CIN.jpg

By Fr. Dolphie Sequeira, SDB

Massive migration is one of the most impressive signs of our times. Also around Greater China domestic or international migration is on the rise. Also in the prevalent Chinese society of Hong Kong is growing the presence of immigrants or permanent residents from all around the world. Even the Catholic diocese of Hong Kong claims more almost 100.000 non-Chinese believers.

Most of the South Asian minority groups belong to the lower socioeconomic strata, although many of them were born and raised in Hong Kong. Their total population is about 42.000 or 11% of the ethnic minority groups. The majority of them believe in Hinduism, Islam and Sikhism. Their countries of origin are Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan or India. Community or social services for these communities are not adequate and especially the youth and women are the most underprivileged. Many of them are in search of work, but find themselves in difficult situations as they do not have the qualifications of skills to claim proper employment.

The Province of China wanted to see if they could do something for them with the help of Salesians from India. Thanks to initial mediation by the Councilor for the Missions in 2012, the province of Chennai answered in very positive way. After an initiative of Fr. Peter Newberry sponsored by the China SDB Provincial and his council, in early 2013 arrived to Hong Kong two Indian Salesians, Fr. Dolphie Sequiera and Fr. Amala Vinoth for a three-month study of the situation of the South Asian immigrant youth at risk there. Since November 2013 Fr. Dolphie is a member of St. Louis Community, Pok-Fu-Lam Road in Western Hong Kong.

I'm Fr Dolphie Sequeira, I am from India and belong to the Province of Chennai (St Thomas). Two years ago myself and Fr. Vinoth were invited to Hong Kong to conduct a  basic research about the South Asian youth. After this initial stage the China province accepted the research and agreed to support the South Asian Youth Services. Hence, I opted to help out in this work for the Salesian province of China and arrived on 16th November, 2013. I’m based in the St.Louis School community with 12 confreres of eight different nationalities.

At present the major activities of South Asia Youth Services are:

1. Eucharist for South Asian Catholic community on the first Sunday of every month. After the Mass there is a sharing, games or Gospel movies and recollection.
  2. Oratory in Tung Chung (Lantau island, near the Hong Kong airport). Based in one Catholic primary school, about fifty South Asian teenagers come every Sunday. Animated by the Salesian Cooperators and some young animators
  3. Seminars and Camps for Schools with many migrant youth (eg. Sir Ellis Kadoori, Caritas Tuen Mun Maradon foundation)
  4. Youth swimming in Hong Kong (Kennedy Town) and Lan Tau (Tung Chung)
  5. Hip hopt training for teenagers
  6. Tution classes for South Asians in Cantonese language, Mathematics and English class
  7. Youth Camps at Don Bosco Youth Center in Cheng Chau island
  8. Tamil language tutions in Wah Tan College for some 130 school children
  9. Outreach work for the young in the streets

The Province of China was  helpful to establish this mission among the South Asians. Fr. Provincial and his council on one hand and our community of St. Louis, especially Fr Peter Newbery and Fr. Jojo Garcia are very supportive. My main funding is from Don Bosco Charity and Salesian province. Above this I totally believe in Divine Providence. I would like to give thanks for all persons who are encouraging me for all these initiatives taken for and with the poor migrants South Asian Youth.

New frontiers of migration are just starting. The Salesians in Hong Kong have twelve schools. In one secondary school located in New Territories, one third of the population is of Pakistani origin and the students are assisted by some Urdu speaking teaching staff. Probably in the future more and more families and youth will be moving out of their countries of origin. Like the first Salesians in Argentina in 1875, also today the sons of Don Bosco strive to journey together with the migrant, when possible. Also Fr. Dolphie is praying that one more Indian confrere will join him soon in this not-so-easy but very meaningful mission.

20150619_CIN1.jpg

20150619_CIN2.jpg

20150619_CIN3.jpg

20150619_CIN4.jpg

20150619_CIN5.jpg

20150619_CIN6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • GThadathil 2015.06.19 11:39

Congrats and thanks for the piece. Great news of salesian work that has almost a bicentennial origin and yet so timely and meaningful. 

George

• vaclav 2015.06.19 18:12

To the Provincials of South Asia (11 provinces)

Dear Provincials, 

Here is a write up of South Asia Migrant Ministry in HONG KONG.
    At present there is Fr. Dolphie Sequeira from INM who works for this group - the poorest among the migrant workers in Hong Kong. They are youth from South Asia, our Region.

The provincial of Hong Kong, the Regional of East Asia and the Missions Councillor have requested me again to find someone to work along, because at least two confreres are needed for this work.
    This is a work much appreciated by the Salesians of Hong Kong.

I have spoken about this need to you all earlier. Could you actively look for someone to go along and work in Hong Kong for a period of time. He should a confrere who should be energetic, outgoing, etc. If he can speak some Hindi, it would be good, but not completely necessary. Please find someone from your province so that we can send him at least by January when you get new priests, or at least by next May.

Hope you will actively look for someone - and increase the global presence of South Asia!

Fr. Arokiam Maria Kanaga

• AKG 2015.06.19 19:51

Really this is great work for our youth. This is much liked by me, and I would like join this and like to journey with youth......

• Micael 2015.07.21 08:49

我的(一只)小皮夾在你那裡?

主佑一切.

Love. Michael

• ssh 2016.09.01 02:00

FR. DOLPHIE --- PLEASE RELPY/EMAIL. COMING TO HONG Kong AND India IN EARLY January. Would like to visit. Susan Hayes  ---sshroxy@hotmail

1. 4478(IV)_EAO Coordinators journey brings first fruits

Second meeting of the ECG (EAO Coordinators Group) By Fr. Ditto Gueco, SDB EAO Regional secretary Manila, the Philippines, 23 August 2017 -- After the first initial encounter on August 24, 2016 in Manila was held the second regular annual e...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1527 file
    Read More
  2. 4478(III)_Installation as Reader

By Fr. Bernie Graham, SDB Melbourne, Australia, 23 August 2017 -- During his annual Visitation to Don Bosco House, Clifton Hill, Fr Greg Chambers, Provincial of the Australia-Pacific Province, conferred the Ministry of Reader on Cl Kitichai...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views656 file
    Read More
  3. 4478(II)_Fr. Joseph Sanong Chornthong passed away

By Fr. Kriengsak Joseph, SDB Hua Hin, Thailand -- On the 22nd August 2017 passed away in Hua Hin, Thailand, to the House of the Father our beloved Salesian Priest Sanong Chornthong at the age of 82 years - after 57 years of Salesian religio...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views645 file
    Read More
  4. 4478(I)_A Home of Our Own

The Blessing of the Salesian Residence in Don Bosco Batulao By Fr. Martin Macasaet, SDB Batangas, the Philippines, 19 August 2017 -- As the retreat house or center for spirituality of the Salesian Philippine North Province, the setting comm...
    Date2017.08.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1123 file
    Read More
  5. 4477(II)_The art of animation: How to growth in communion?

Two days of animation visit in the FIS province By Our Own Correspondent Cebu, the Philippines, 23 August 2017 -- Annual animation visit in and Negros (FIS) What is the annual animation visit? During two full days most of the Salesians of t...
    Date2017.08.24 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views693 file
    Read More
  6. 4477(I)_Visiting needy families in Hua Hin

Inspiration by the Seminar on Initial proclamation of Jesus By Fr. John Tamayo, SDB Hua Hin, Thailand, 23 August 2017 -- After our seminar on Initial Proclamation in Sampran, Bangkok, I got inspired by the sharing of the Salesian Missionari...
    Date2017.08.24 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views641 file
    Read More
  7. 4476(II)_Msgr. Savio Hon Tai Fai visits Japan for the “2nd Papa Francesco Volunteer Service Camp”

The meeting with the youth at Nagasachi By Mrs. Izumi Sakura Tokyo, Japan, 19 August 2017 -- Archbishop Savio Hon Tai Fai, SDB, Secretary of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples visited Japan from 12 to 19 August. The main pur...
    Date2017.08.23 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1538 file
    Read More
  8. 4476(I)_Priestly Ordination

4 new Salesian Priests in Timor-Leste By Fr. Joao Costa, SDB Fatumaca , Timor-Leste, 15 August 2017 -- On the occasion of the Solemnity of the Assumption of our Lady, the Salesian Vice-Province of Indonesia-Timor, particularly in Timor-Lest...
    Date2017.08.23 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views932 file
    Read More
  9. 4475(II)_Meditative Salesian Far East Celebrates 450th Birthday of St. Francis de Sales (21 August 1567-2017)

“That Mount Calvary Is the True School of Love”. By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong -- The 21st August 2017 is the 450th Anniversary of the premature birth of St. Francis de Sales, Bishop and Doctor of the Church, Titular and Pat...
    Date2017.08.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views946 file
    Read More
  10. 4475(I)_First Salesian community arrives to (Kuching) Malaysia

Bro. Manuel Ruperez Arroyo, Fr. Ramon Galve Borja, Archbishop of Kuching, Simon Poh and Fr. Andre Belo “Our Lady and our founder, lead us on our way. May the young of Malaysia be led to Jesus’ way.” By Fr. Ramon Borja, SDB Kuching, Malaysia...
    Date2017.08.22 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views2891 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 ... 536 Next
/ 536