Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5259

20191126_FIS.jpg

What Filipinos are learning in Cambodia

By SALVO former volunteer – Josteno Hernan

Cebu, Philippines, 26 November 2019 -- Another SALVO Volunteer offers thoughts on his experience.

How was your volunteer experience in Cambodia?

I had a chance to render my volunteer service to the Khmer people from 14 February until 21 August 2018 at Don Bosco Technical School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The experience was indeed a remarkable one; not just a give and take experience but also a self-formative journey. It is interesting to know how the Salesians work in countries like Cambodia with only a small percentage of Catholics. It is fascinating to know the methodologies used by the Salesians to form and share the charism of Don Bosco with the people. Other volunteers had shared with me that offering my time and help to other people is very little compared to the things that I will be receiving in return. Indeed, I can say that those sentiments are true.

What did you learn in Cambodia?

First, the Salesian Preventive system, culture, personal growth and spiritual journey. One of my objectives in volunteering in Cambodia was to know how the Salesians work in the midst of a larger number of non-Catholics and how they integrate the charism of Don Bosco with the culture, beliefs and practices of the people. I have learned that the Salesians work as an NGO supporting and forming a lot of people to uplift their way of living. It is good to know that they work in spreading and sharing the love of God through their actions and service to the young. They serve the young by educating them how to dream and become good and upright citizens in their own country. They use the principles of natural law and find connections to their beliefs and afterwards integrate this into their day to day living which has the same goal of becoming a good person. The Salesian charism is strongly observable and present. The Salesians are working with and for the young.

Surprisingly, the culture of the people with regards to authority is extremely strong. The people have great respect for people involved in religion. The children are not only showing great respect to their parents but also the parents show reverence to the people whom they consider holy like the monks and the priests. And the students treat their teachers with respect and kindness. Gentleness is for me the greatest challenge to possess always when interacting with them. Everybody may seem not capable of understanding and relating with other people. But I can say that they had tried their best to make me feel comfortable and welcome through their simple smiles and timidity. They are sensitive enough to feel what I am feeling and anticipate my actions. Thus, I learn how to be cautions in all my actions.

What change has this missionary volunteer experience made to your life?

The six month missionary volunteering has changed me for the better. It enlightened me to start, stop, continue and change some of my actions and perspectives in life. It enlightens me to start appreciating the care and concerns of others. It convinced me to start believing in myself and make more new friends. And it taught me to continue seeing the goodness, greatness and talents of others. Also the experience taught me how to smile despite the sadness that is reigning in my heart, being optimistic despite the negativities around me, be productive with my time, be patient in all adversities and conflicts, be sensitive to the feelings of others, show concern and love to others and learn how to enjoy. It made me realize that I should stop being a pessimist and judgmental. And lastly it taught me to change for the better.

What wisdom do you bring back to your personal life in the Philippines?

Lastly, the whole missionary volunteering experience was productive and very formative because of His power. During stormy days and crooked roads the only one who sustained and gave me strength to stand and fight back is Jesus. Participating in the Mass, praying the Rosary and offering all my actions to Him every day have helped me to become closer and more intimate with Him. It truly illuminates my spirit to live and love.

20191126_FIS1.jpg

20191126_FIS2.jpg

20191126_FIS3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5990(II)_Five new novices for MYM

By Fr. Andrea Mg Mg, SDB Myanmar, 25 May 2023 -- On 23 May 2023, after completing two years of Pre-Novitiate training, five novices were admitted into the novitiate year by the superior, Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB. In the ceremony, all were inv...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  2. 5990(I)_From Africa to Oceania to love and serve

PGS, 25 May 2023 -- My name is Joël Komlan ATTISSO. I am 28 years old. I am originally from Togo. I am a member of 151st missionary expedition (2020). Since it was at the height of COVID-19, we were not able to have our orientation bef...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  3. 5989(VI)_Xuan Hiep HCM: A Celebration of the Feast of our Mother the Help of Christians

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 24 May 2023 -- Joining the joy with the whole Salesian Family celebrate the feast of our Mother the Help of Christians, at 19:30 on May 23, 2023, Philip Rinaldi Theological Community and Don Parish Bosco Xuan ...
    Date2023.05.25 Reply0 Views231 file
    Read More
  4. 5989(V)_More than a wish granted

By Agnes B. Paulino Manila, Philippines, 24 May 2023 (although written one year earlier) -- It is almost midnight and sleep does not come. It could be due to the coffee I had when I took my medicines. It could be the adrenaline working on o...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views321 file
    Read More
  5. 5989(IV)_From EAO to South Sudan

South Sudan, 24 May 2023 -- Two missionaries from our EAO region share their experiences: Cl. Peter Tran Quang Tri (left in photo) and Br Joseph Thuan Thien Truc Tran (right in photo). Both were members of the 152 missionary expedition (202...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views365 file
    Read More
  6. 5989(III)_Salesian Educators today: The Yeast in the Dough

By Leo Paraha and Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG 24 May 2023 -- ‘Salesian Educators Today – The Yeast in the Dough’ was the theme of the retreat for the Salesian Lay Educators from Don Bosco Technical Sch...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views332 file
    Read More
  7. 5989(II)_"Everything is good!"

A biography of the Salesian missionary, Fr. John Tae-seok Lee, published on the occasion of the Feast of the Mary Help of Christians By Ivo Seon-ho Choe President of the Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation. Seoul, Korea, 24 May 223 -- “I...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  8. 5989(I)_The Heart of Don Bosco in Brunswick, Australia

By Afia Enosa SDB Don Bosco Youth Centre, Brunswick (Melbourne), Australia, 24 May 2023 -- Young people and parents coming from Brunswick and surrounding suburbs find Don Bosco Youth Centre a welcoming place; a home away from home; an envir...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views354 file
    Read More
  9. 5988(II)_FIN Province Holds Webinar on Youth Ministry & AI

By CSCom News Service 20 May, FIN Province, via Google Meet -- To celebrate the 57th World Communication Sunday, the Salesians of Don Bosco of the Philippines-North Province (FIN) organized a timely webinar that brought together the Salesia...
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views383 file
    Read More
  10. 5988(I)_2022-2023 school year closing ceremony, Don Bosco Tac Van’s Charity School

Tacvan, Camau, Viet Nam, 22 May 2023 -- A closing ceremony for the 2022-2023 school year was held in Don Bosco Tac Van's Charity School at 07:30 am, May 19, 2023 in the presence of Fr. Joseph Dinh Thanh Dat – person in charge, Mr....
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views364 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 533 Next
/ 533