?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5257

20191122_AUL.jpg

By Lauren Hichaaba, Provincial Delegate for Missionary Animation

Apia, Samoa, 21 November 2019 -- Fr Guillermo Basanes, SDB, Councillor for the Missions, has begun his visit to the Australia Pacific (AUL) Province with a very successful visit to the Pacific Island Nation of Samoa. He was accompanied by Lauren Hichaaba, Delegate for Mission Animation for the AUL Province.

It is the first time for Fr. Basanes to come to the Pacific and to the AUL Province. The visit to Samoa has been full of wonderful meetings and moments of animation. It has however been tinged with an air of sadness as Samoa is currently experiencing a measles epidemic that has claimed at least sixteen lives, most of whom have been children under the age of two. There has been over 1,100 cases of the measles reported and new cases are being reported every day.

The Samoan government has declared a state of emergency and closed all schools. Is has even urged parents to keep their children home from church on a Sunday. Consequently, this has meant that Fr. Basanes has been unable to interact with any of our beautiful young people and students in Samoa. It has, however, provided more space and opportunity for Fr Basanes to meet and enter into lengthy discussion with our teachers, Cooperators, FMAs and SDBs.

The visit began on the island of Upolu. Fr Basanes celebrated mass in the Salesian Parish of Leauva’a only hours after arriving. The rest of the day was then spent with the community in Alafua. He was warmly welcomed with true Samoan hospitality. The following day, Fr Basanes celebrated mass with the Salesian Co-operators, FMAs and SDBs. It was a joyful celebration with a beautiful mass and dynamic conversation. The visit to Samoa continued to the remote island of Savai’i. Once again, in the absence of students, he was able to spend time with the teachers at Don Bosco High School and Vocational Centre.

It has been a wonderful start to a visit that will continue to the other parts of the AUL Province, Fiji and Australia. We are grateful to Fr Basanes for his dynamic visit and we hope to welcome him again soon in Samoa so that he will have an opportunity to interact with our incredible young people.

We ask the Salesian world to please remember Samoa, and most importantly the children, in prayer as they struggle to bring an end to the measles epidemic.

20191122_AUL1.jpg

20191122_AUL2.jpg

20191122_AUL4.jpg

20191122_AUL5.jpg

20191122_AUL6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5990(II)_Five new novices for MYM

By Fr. Andrea Mg Mg, SDB Myanmar, 25 May 2023 -- On 23 May 2023, after completing two years of Pre-Novitiate training, five novices were admitted into the novitiate year by the superior, Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB. In the ceremony, all were inv...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  2. 5990(I)_From Africa to Oceania to love and serve

PGS, 25 May 2023 -- My name is Joël Komlan ATTISSO. I am 28 years old. I am originally from Togo. I am a member of 151st missionary expedition (2020). Since it was at the height of COVID-19, we were not able to have our orientation bef...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  3. 5989(VI)_Xuan Hiep HCM: A Celebration of the Feast of our Mother the Help of Christians

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 24 May 2023 -- Joining the joy with the whole Salesian Family celebrate the feast of our Mother the Help of Christians, at 19:30 on May 23, 2023, Philip Rinaldi Theological Community and Don Parish Bosco Xuan ...
    Date2023.05.25 Reply0 Views231 file
    Read More
  4. 5989(V)_More than a wish granted

By Agnes B. Paulino Manila, Philippines, 24 May 2023 (although written one year earlier) -- It is almost midnight and sleep does not come. It could be due to the coffee I had when I took my medicines. It could be the adrenaline working on o...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views321 file
    Read More
  5. 5989(IV)_From EAO to South Sudan

South Sudan, 24 May 2023 -- Two missionaries from our EAO region share their experiences: Cl. Peter Tran Quang Tri (left in photo) and Br Joseph Thuan Thien Truc Tran (right in photo). Both were members of the 152 missionary expedition (202...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views365 file
    Read More
  6. 5989(III)_Salesian Educators today: The Yeast in the Dough

By Leo Paraha and Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG 24 May 2023 -- ‘Salesian Educators Today – The Yeast in the Dough’ was the theme of the retreat for the Salesian Lay Educators from Don Bosco Technical Sch...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views332 file
    Read More
  7. 5989(II)_"Everything is good!"

A biography of the Salesian missionary, Fr. John Tae-seok Lee, published on the occasion of the Feast of the Mary Help of Christians By Ivo Seon-ho Choe President of the Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation. Seoul, Korea, 24 May 223 -- “I...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  8. 5989(I)_The Heart of Don Bosco in Brunswick, Australia

By Afia Enosa SDB Don Bosco Youth Centre, Brunswick (Melbourne), Australia, 24 May 2023 -- Young people and parents coming from Brunswick and surrounding suburbs find Don Bosco Youth Centre a welcoming place; a home away from home; an envir...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views354 file
    Read More
  9. 5988(II)_FIN Province Holds Webinar on Youth Ministry & AI

By CSCom News Service 20 May, FIN Province, via Google Meet -- To celebrate the 57th World Communication Sunday, the Salesians of Don Bosco of the Philippines-North Province (FIN) organized a timely webinar that brought together the Salesia...
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views383 file
    Read More
  10. 5988(I)_2022-2023 school year closing ceremony, Don Bosco Tac Van’s Charity School

Tacvan, Camau, Viet Nam, 22 May 2023 -- A closing ceremony for the 2022-2023 school year was held in Don Bosco Tac Van's Charity School at 07:30 am, May 19, 2023 in the presence of Fr. Joseph Dinh Thanh Dat – person in charge, Mr....
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views364 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 533 Next
/ 533