?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 4942 Comment 0

20190916_PGS.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Port Moresby, PNG, 15 September 2019 -- Young migrants, refugees and persons detained in Papua New Guinea struggle to get past the barriers of language and culture to get back to their homeland or to a third country. They experience “a separation from their places of origin, and often, a cultural and religious uprooting as well…” Their stories get past the unsurmountable requirements and can stir the hearts of several persons who generously step forward to assist and help them. Here, the Church can serve as a point of reference for these people. “The Church has an important role and can bring new life to them” (Christus vivit Ch 3, 93).

Sr. Teresa Vu Phuong Thuy Trinh, FMA , assigned in Sidea, Alotau until 2018, had been looking after the needs of Vietnamese detainees, and served as interpreter and mediator for them at court hearings. With her help, 105 Vietnamese fishermen were repatriated in June 2018. They were able to re-join their families back home, thanks to the courage of this small Sister and the support given by her Salesian community.

Recently, five male Vietnamese detainees were repatriated after having been incarcerated in the Bomana Correctional Institution in Boroko, Port Moresby. Sr. Teresa, with invaluable support from her congregation, assisted in negotiating with the Vietnamese Embassy in Indonesia to access passports, airline tickets and overnight accommodations in Manila, Philippines for these men before they headed home to Vietnam.

Bomana Correctional Centre Superintendent and Acting Commanding Officer Yelly Oiufa expressed his thanks to Mother Yvonne Reungoat, FMA, Mother General, and the congregation of the Salesian Sisters. “I am greatly indebted to the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians for their act of charity in helping the needy ones,” wrote the Commanding Officer, who was happy to work together with the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians. He mentioned that Sr. Teresa had helped in the past, and that she continues to do so even though she is now studying in Italy.

The five detainees had spent three years in prison and are now happily united with their families after being deported from Papua New Guinea on the 3rd September, 2019.

20190916_PGS1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5990(II)_Five new novices for MYM

By Fr. Andrea Mg Mg, SDB Myanmar, 25 May 2023 -- On 23 May 2023, after completing two years of Pre-Novitiate training, five novices were admitted into the novitiate year by the superior, Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB. In the ceremony, all were inv...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  2. 5990(I)_From Africa to Oceania to love and serve

PGS, 25 May 2023 -- My name is Joël Komlan ATTISSO. I am 28 years old. I am originally from Togo. I am a member of 151st missionary expedition (2020). Since it was at the height of COVID-19, we were not able to have our orientation bef...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1020 file
    Read More
  3. 5989(VI)_Xuan Hiep HCM: A Celebration of the Feast of our Mother the Help of Christians

By Viet SC Xuan Hiep, Vietnam, 24 May 2023 -- Joining the joy with the whole Salesian Family celebrate the feast of our Mother the Help of Christians, at 19:30 on May 23, 2023, Philip Rinaldi Theological Community and Don Parish Bosco Xuan ...
    Date2023.05.25 Reply0 Views231 file
    Read More
  4. 5989(V)_More than a wish granted

By Agnes B. Paulino Manila, Philippines, 24 May 2023 (although written one year earlier) -- It is almost midnight and sleep does not come. It could be due to the coffee I had when I took my medicines. It could be the adrenaline working on o...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views321 file
    Read More
  5. 5989(IV)_From EAO to South Sudan

South Sudan, 24 May 2023 -- Two missionaries from our EAO region share their experiences: Cl. Peter Tran Quang Tri (left in photo) and Br Joseph Thuan Thien Truc Tran (right in photo). Both were members of the 152 missionary expedition (202...
    Date2023.05.25 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views365 file
    Read More
  6. 5989(III)_Salesian Educators today: The Yeast in the Dough

By Leo Paraha and Fr Ambrose Pereira SDB Bomana, Port Moresby, PNG 24 May 2023 -- ‘Salesian Educators Today – The Yeast in the Dough’ was the theme of the retreat for the Salesian Lay Educators from Don Bosco Technical Sch...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views332 file
    Read More
  7. 5989(II)_"Everything is good!"

A biography of the Salesian missionary, Fr. John Tae-seok Lee, published on the occasion of the Feast of the Mary Help of Christians By Ivo Seon-ho Choe President of the Fr. John Lee Memorial Foundation. Seoul, Korea, 24 May 223 -- “I...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views297 file
    Read More
  8. 5989(I)_The Heart of Don Bosco in Brunswick, Australia

By Afia Enosa SDB Don Bosco Youth Centre, Brunswick (Melbourne), Australia, 24 May 2023 -- Young people and parents coming from Brunswick and surrounding suburbs find Don Bosco Youth Centre a welcoming place; a home away from home; an envir...
    Date2023.05.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views354 file
    Read More
  9. 5988(II)_FIN Province Holds Webinar on Youth Ministry & AI

By CSCom News Service 20 May, FIN Province, via Google Meet -- To celebrate the 57th World Communication Sunday, the Salesians of Don Bosco of the Philippines-North Province (FIN) organized a timely webinar that brought together the Salesia...
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views383 file
    Read More
  10. 5988(I)_2022-2023 school year closing ceremony, Don Bosco Tac Van’s Charity School

Tacvan, Camau, Viet Nam, 22 May 2023 -- A closing ceremony for the 2022-2023 school year was held in Don Bosco Tac Van's Charity School at 07:30 am, May 19, 2023 in the presence of Fr. Joseph Dinh Thanh Dat – person in charge, Mr....
    Date2023.05.22 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views364 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 533 Next
/ 533