austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 690 Comment 0

20160715_ITM.jpg

EAO - unique military chaplain (ITM - Fr. Rui Gomes)

By Our Own Correspondent
an interview with Fr. Rui Gomes, SDB

Dili, Timor Leste, 15 July 2016 -- Since last 2011 Fr. Rui Gomes is the first and so far the only military chaplain within the ranks of Timor Leste Defense Forces and probably also the only Salesian with this special mission in our Region. We are happy to share his interview given in his community of provincial house, Dili – Comoro.

How did you become a military chaplain?

Three years after the first invitation and serious discernment between the Salesian Provincial, Bishop of Baucau, Basílio de Nascimento and the military commanders of the RDTL Armed Forces I have started on 30th of May, 2011 (right in the 25th anniversary of my religious profession in the Salesian Congregation) as an Office Cadet in the Timorese Army Training Center. With the head shaved, with a big sack in the back, and a small Mass kit in the hand, I marched into the camp behind 90 young officers to be. I was in my 50th years of age! We all went to the very place where Don Bosco’s Casket have been solemnly enthroned and honored some months before when it visited the Timorese Armed Forces! Indeed, Don Bosco opened and paved my way!

How was your military training?

I underwent the whole 6 months basic military officers training. That was the first time in the history of the Timorese Army: a priest in the military ranks. I was the eldest in our training platoon, all my companions were young boys and girls from 24 to 28 years. The army training itself – physical, mental and intellectual was very hard as it is in any military training. We were exposed to the extreme weather, trained to take quick decisions under pressure…

What are your main joys and satisfaction in this special Salesian mission?

My joy is to be with the Young! I literally lived their lives, shared the hardships of the training itself as I took part in every training activity, taking everything without exception. It was really “living together and with the young”! Once a fellow soldier asked me, “Why you a priest, and in your age, do want to take pains to be here with us?” And my answer was “Because God loves you….and I feel happy being here with you!”

I’m living a regular community life in the Provincial House, every day from 7:30 to 16:30 I do my duty - mission at the Head Quarters where I’m now based. And from there I develop a pastoral program covering the Armed Forces in the whole country. My parishioners are the Generals and all the military personnel with their families. And so far I’m the only Chaplain in the whole Defense Force! I feel particularly enchanted to celebrate the Eucharist or present moral themes to the officers, when I give lessons on military civics and morality to the young recruits. The whole “luggage” of a Salesian educator comes out when I prepare the military young couples for marriage, offer mediation to the families in conflict and in crisis!

That’s it, I really enjoy being a Salesian priest in military uniform! I may very well take as mine the words of Pope Francis: “being a pastor with the smell and the marks of the sheep!”

As I do this military apostolate, I feel embodying the Incarnation of Jesus: The Savior of mankind made flesh, coming into the military reality to save it from within. The thought of this gives me a deep joy and fills me with unspeakable energy!

How do you live the preventive system of Don Bosco in your daily life?

Our Preventive System of Don Bosco really works in every level: once the officers up to the simple soldiers are aware of our presence, or at least know that we are around there, their blasphemies, “bad words’ or green jokes and indecent conversations are not said!

In our Defense Force where the transition from the guerilla mentality to a professional and conventional one is taking place, I do every effort, daily, to always be in the line of those of good will who try to exact punctuality, discipline, to be the last to leave the office, to do everything with the knowledge and consent of the commander in-charge.

Every here and there I make it my constant to greet everybody, saying words of encouragement to every person I meet, radiating joy, “good energy” and optimism! And I take very seriously the recommendation of the Bishop: to be always a Christian and moral reference to the people I am sent to: The military and their families!

The presence of some Don Bosco Past Pupils in the Army makes a difference?

As a matter of fact, the actual Major General (the highest in rank in the Timorese Military) the Brigade General, the Chief of Staff and a considerable number of officers and soldiers are Dom Bosco past pupils;

They are the best collaborators and promoters of Christianity in our Defense Force! The presence of a Salesian Chaplain just reinforces their beliefs, living their faith and lives as committed Christians and upright soldiers as they have learned in the past as students in our Salesian schools!

Even in my initial military training, my commander officer (a captain) and my platoon commander (a lieutenant) were Bosconians. In my training platoon itself I came to meet my two former students from Don Bosco Technical School in Fatumaca! Wonderful! God, Jesus and Don Bosco were already there… before I came and joined in!

Any future dreams?

At this point of my life, I can honestly say that now I can see my childhood dream coming true.

I’m really happy living my Salesian vocation in this very specific mission. In this new field of apostolate I really came to meet the poorest youth in terms of faith and education! Many of them came to receive their First Communions just recently only after being in the military….because before they had any opportunity! I personally feel that I can live to the full my Salesian priestly vocation as a military chaplain: being Jesus and Don Bosco wearing military fatigue! Pro Deo et Patria!

Yes, I have another dream: I really wish that one day I can participate in a meeting of Salesian Army and Police Chaplains coming from all around the world! Please make this wish a reality! Obrigado Barak!

20160715_ITM1.jpg

20160715_ITM2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 4528(II)_"I come to do your will"

Priestly Ordinations in PGS By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Vanimo, PNG, 21 October 2017 -- Bishop Cesare Bonivento PIME, Bishop of the Diocese of Vanimo ordained Dn. Solomon Kulo and Dn. Gilbert Pano sdb priests on the 21st October, 2017 at th...
    Date2017.10.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views634 file
    Read More
  2. 4528(I)_"We need to live truly family spirit as brother in Don Bosco"

Interview with Salesian Brother Alex Cho in view of the EAO 2018 Salesian Brother Congress By Our Own Correspondent Seoul, Korea, 21 October 2017 -- Bro. Alexander Cho, a member of the Rinaldi Community in Seoul, is a carpenter involved in ...
    Date2017.10.23 CategoryKOR Reply1 Views1320 file
    Read More
  3. 4527(II)_Mission at the heart of the Christian faith

2017 World Mission Sunday By Our Own Correspondent Vatican, 22 October 2017 -- Pope Francis in his 2017 Message for the World Mission Sunday with the state of the 'Mission at the Heart of the Christian faith' offers a new motivation...
    Date2017.10.22 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1090 file
    Read More
  4. 4527(I)_One Oratory Year Feast in Comoro

By Cl. Filipe Cardoso, SDB Dili, Timor Leste, 15 October 2017 -- The SDB community of Blessed Philip Rinaldi Post-novitiate and the young animators of the oratories held an Oratory feast. It was made in a gym of Don Bosco, Comoro. More than...
    Date2017.10.22 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views655 file
    Read More
  5. 4526(II)_Myanmar needs reconciliation and peace

An interview with Cardinal Charles Bo, SDB - Archbishop of Yangon From Fides Agency Yangon Myanmar, 19 October 2017 -- An interview with Cardinal Charles Bo, SDB - Archbishop of Yangon (Myanmar) in an interview with Fides, talking about the...
    Date2017.10.21 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views996 file
    Read More
  6. 4526(I)_One-Stop-Service for the Young people

Dream community in Seoul By Fr. Gregory Park, SDB Seoul, Korea 19 October 2017 -- Since last 2011 the Salesians in Korea are in charge of the first comprehensive Youth 'One-Stop-Service' Center in Seoul. Every year some 180.000 youth and ch...
    Date2017.10.21 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views10967 file
    Read More
  7. 4525_"She did everything"

One Vietnamese missionary ordained deacon in Venezuela By Our Own Correspondent Caracas, Venezuela, 7 October 2017 -- Three Salesians of Don Bosco - Cl Jose Rafael Guarique, Cl. Victor Mendoza, and Cl. Joseph Phan Ahn Tuan, a Vietnamese mis...
    Date2017.10.20 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views852 file
    Read More
  8. 4524_Two PGS Salesians celebrate Silver Jubilee of Priesthood

By Ms. Arlene Abital Boroko, PNG, 12 October 2017 -- A Thanksgiving Mass was held on October 12th at Mary Help of Christians Shrine, Boroko, Don Bosco Technological Institute’s compound to celebrate the 25 years of priesthood of two Salesia...
    Date2017.10.19 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views526 file
    Read More
  9. 4523_ "My dear Confreres, we are living in times of hope not complaints!"

Video message of the Rector Major from Valdocco By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 15 October 2017 -- "My dear friends, these are times for hope, not complaints." With this positive outlook on the present and the future, Fr Ángel Fernández Artim...
    Date2017.10.18 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views861 file
    Read More
  10. 4522_ Wake up the world and enlighten the future - Salesian Vocation and Mission within the Project of Pope Francis

Rector Major emeritus preaching the spiritual retreat for the Salesian family of Japan By Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, SDB Provincial GIA Tokyo, Japan, 15 October 2017 -- For the first time after the GC27 the Rector Major emeritus Fr. Pascual Chav...
    Date2017.10.17 CategoryGIA Reply1 Views1720 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 ... 533 Next
/ 533