PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 2866 Comment 1

20151224_PGS.jpg

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! December 24 for PGS

By Fr. Stefano Vanoli, SDB
Secretary General

Rome, Italy - On December 23, the last day of the 2015 General Council session was approved the erection of the new Vice-province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi ‘Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands (PGS)’. The long awaited recognition brings the number of the East Asia – Oceania Region Circumscriptions to eleven: eight Provinces and three Vice-provinces. ITM Vice-province was erected in 1998 and Myanmar Vice-province was created in 2004.

During the recent visit of the Rector Major in the Delegation of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands it was clear that after 35 years of the Salesian presence times are mature for the erection of the Vice-province. (Cfr. AustraLasia news 3595, May 2, 2015)

Last June 11 the Rector Major and his Council approved the timeline for the erection of the Vice-province: Report of the Delegate PNG-SI about the State of the Delegation (September), Canonical visit of the FIN provincial (October), Request of the FIN provincial for the erection of the Vice-province (November), Consultation to the confreres of PNG-SI Delegation (December) and finally the approval for the erection of the new Vice-province by the Rector Major and his council (C156).

Salesian presence in Papua New Guinea started in 1980 and the PNG Delegation was started in 1994 (FIN). In March 2005 were attached the two communities of Solomon Islands (GIA province mission was started in 1995) and the present Delegation of PNG-SI was created. Over the years the service of the Delegate-Superior was entrusted to Fr. Valeriano Barbero (1994-1997, 2001-2004), Fr. Francesco Panfilo (1997-2001), Fr. Luciano Odorico (2005-2007), Fr. Rafael Galve (2008-2013) and finally to Fr. Peter Baquero (2014-2016).

The need for the growth from the Delegation towards the Vice-province was already discussed and grew mature at various occasions: Assembly of PNG-SI Delegation (2006, 2010, 2013), Recommendations after the Extraordinary Visitations (2004, 2010) as well as during the Provincial Chapters of the FIN province (2010, 2013).

According the Report of the PNG-SI Delegate (October 2015) there are 8 communities (6 in PNG and 2 in SI) and 43 confreres (2 bishops, 32 priests, 3 Salesian brothers, 6 candidates to the priesthood in initial formation) and one novice. Another 8 confreres are temporarily transferred to the Delegation from other provinces (1 Priest, 1 Brother and 6 practical trainees). There is a variety of 16 nationalities: 13 Filipinos, 11 Vietnamese, 8 Indians, 5 PNG - SI nationals, 2 Italians, 2 Spaniards, 1 from Angola, Congo, East Timor, Ecuador, Indonesia, Kenya, Korea, Sri Lanka and Switzerland.

In the recent consultation the PNG-SI confreres expressed their suggestions for the growth of the Salesian Charism in the future Vice-province. At the top of their ‘wish-list’ we find a stability of Salesian personnel, effort for ongoing inculturation of the Salesian Charism, consistent vocation promotion and accompaniment of local confreres, qualifications of the confreres and constant need to send new missionaries.

There are still few more steps until the full swing of the new PNG-SI Vice province – next April during the extraordinary visitation to the FIN province will be held the consultation for the first Superior of the new PGS (Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands) Vice-province and after the appointment of the first Superior in the June session of the General Council will follow the installation of the first Superior of the new Vice-province in early July 2016.

20151224_PGS1.jpg

20151224_PGS2.jpg

20151224_PGS3.jpg

20151224_PGS4.jpg

20151224_PGS5.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2015.12.24 22:29
    Dear Confreres,

As I extend my Christmas greetings to you, I am also announcing the good news that the Rector Major and his Council has approved yesterday (23 December 2015) the elevation of PNG-SI Delegation into the new status of a Vice Province.  I received this great news early this morning via email from Fr. Klement and a Viber message from Fr. Provincial.  Blessed Philip Rinaldi is taken as the Patron Saint of our new Vice Province

Fr. Maria Arokiam Kanaga, SDB, Regional Councillor for South Asia, will be conducting the Extraordinary Visitation on FIN Province in 2016.  We are still included as a Delegation of FIN Province (as yet).  Particularly, he is scheduled to be in the Delegation from April 19 - May 16, 2016.  He has already sent some preliminary guidelines for his visit.  But I shall elaborate this matter in my next communication and during the 1st Rectors' Meeting in February 2016.

However, during this Extraordinary Visitation of Fr. Kanaga, he will carry out the consultation for the New Superior of our Vice Province.  As scheduled, the new Superior will be appointed by the Rector Major and his Council during their summer plenary meeting (June-July).  We hope to have the Installation of our New Superior of the Vice Province during our Delegation (Provincial) Day on9th July 2016.

I am also making it known that recently, on the 11th December 2015, the Rector Major and his Council approved the canonical erection of the Salesian Community of DBTI.  We shall make a consultation soon for the Rector of DBTI.

Truly, this Christmas has come with a special blessing for us in the Delegation.  Surely, it comes with a call for a deeper commitment.  This evening, recalling God's wondrous love for us thru His incarnation in Jesus Christ, may we too be inspired to "incarnate" God's love and mercy to our local people and to "incarnate" Don Bosco's charism in these two countries entrusted to our care.

As we face a new enthusiasm in the erection of our Vice Province, let us not forget to thank our pioneers, the previous superiors and past confreres who have toiled so much in order that we can have something to build-on today.  At the same time, allow me to thank each one of you for your dedication and sacrifices in carrying out the tasks given to you.  I believe the growth of our Delegation springs from the silent witness and hardwork of every confrere in our various settings.

May Blessed Philip Rinaldi be our constant intercessor and guide in our missionary endeavors. I have remembered all of you in my prayers as I presided over the Vigil Mass this evening.  Please continue to pray for me.  Merry Christmas!

In Don Bosco,

Fr. Peter Baquero, SDB

1. 4593(III)_Fr. Peter Zago, former provincial of Cebu passed away

By Our Own Correspondent Turin, Italy, 28 December -- Fr. Peter Zago, SDB (former provincial of FIS - Cebu province, 1992-1998) passed suddenly (heart attack) away in Perosa Argentina (Torino - Italy) yesterday night (December 28) in the ho...
    Date2017.12.29 Reply4 Views2059 file
    Read More
  2. 4593(II)_Convener of Salesian Priest Day

Salesian Priest Gathering in China province By Fr. Carlos Cheung, SDB Hong Kong, 28 December, 2017 -- Reflecting on the successful experience of the “Salesian Brother Day” in the past years, the members of the Ongoing Formation Meeting sugg...
    Date2017.12.29 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1096 file
    Read More
  3. 4593_Encouragement to approach Jesus

Strenna 2018 Poster - Japanese version By SC Team Tokyo, Japan, 29 December 2017 -- "We created this poster with a hope that whoever looks at it (students or adults) would be encouraged to “approach with courage and accompany those who are ...
    Date2017.12.29 CategoryGIA Reply1 Views1253 file
    Read More
  4. 4592(V)_Celebrating Christmas and sharing the future of Timor Leste

Christmas encounter in Evora community - Portugal By Cl. Salvador Mau Huno Jose, SDB Student of theology, ITM Evora, Portugal, 27 December 2017 -- Our community of Evora (Portugal) was happy to celebrate the second day of the Christmas seas...
    Date2017.12.27 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1158 file
    Read More
  5. 4592(IV)_"Before I formed you in the womb, I chose you to be mine"

Interview with Br. Amilcar Da Silva, SDB, a student at Don Bosco University, Guwahati - India By Fr. Amilcar Da Silva ITM Vice-province Guwahati, India, 27 December 2017 -- What makes you joyful to this form of Salesian vocation? At the out...
    Date2017.12.27 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views693 file
    Read More
  6. 4592(III)_Christ is born also for the migrant workers

Merry Christmas from Kuching - Malaysia By Fr. Andrea Belo, SDB Kuching, Malaysia, 26 December 2017 -- We are now once again in the season of Christmas. The whole world celebrates Christmas, the birth of Jesus, our Redeemer and Messiah. The...
    Date2017.12.27 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views539 file
    Read More
  7. 4592(II)_Sharing the joy of Christmas

Don Bosco Quang Nap, Vietnam By Cao Tien, SDB Quang Nap, Vietnam, 26 December 2017 -- On the occasion of Christmas, Salesians and the parish priest of Quang Nap Parish together with Caristas commission of the parish organized a programe of ...
    Date2017.12.27 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1339 file
    Read More
  8. 4592(I)_ Celebrated Christmas With Pupils of “Special School”

Salesian Cooperators in Don Bosco Da Lat By Huu Phuoc, ASC Da Lat, Viet Nam, 26 December 2017 -- Morning of December 22, the Salesian Cooperators together with young Salesians of Don Bosco Da Lat community organized Christmas’ celebration f...
    Date2017.12.27 CategoryASC Reply0 Views572 file
    Read More
  9. 4591(II)_Jesus is coming amongst us again

Christmas: Coming closer to Jesus through homeless people By Fr Vaclav Klement Rome, Italy, 25 December 2017 -- This is the first Christmas spent in the center of Rome, near the Rome - Termini train station, at Sacro Cuore Salesian house at...
    Date2017.12.26 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views712 file
    Read More
  10. 4591(I)_Christmas in Hong Kong - South Asia Migrant community

By Fr. Dolphie Sequiera Hong Kong, 25 December 2017 -- Christmas is a very beautiful occasion for St Louis Catholic community and to all involved. On the Christmas Solemnity Day we prayed that Peace May reign in all countries and Jesus may ...
    Date2017.12.26 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views703 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 ... 537 Next
/ 537