?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

20190715_CIN.jpg

Interview with a Young EAO Salesian Translator

By Our Own Correspondent

Hong Kong, 13 July, 2019 -- Among the 30 participants in the upcoming 2nd EAO Salesian Translators Workshop will be 8 young generation SDBs this time - this is very promising! We are happy to share a simple interview withone practical trainee who has already begun translating during the first years of his initial formation.

How did you start or how did you learn to translate Salesian texts?

I started translation here and there, words, phrases or sentences even while I was still learning English. However, the real systematic translation began when I was given the task of translating my provincial’s monthly circular letter to the confreres.

Who or what was more helpful in your translation ministry?

First, it is the trust from the provincial. When I was entrusted with translating the provincial’s letter, I was just a newly professed Salesian, at the very early stage of my Salesian life with a lot of things to learn. I felt the pressure, but also the trust, which kept me going.

There are several Salesians who are walking alongside me in each translation work I do. In translation work, it is very necessary to have someone to check on your work to minimise the mistakes. I never had difficulty in finding someone to do so. There are times that I could not finish the work, there were always brothers to back up for me. This kind of support not only lessened my pressure, but also empowered and encouraged me in the process of my translation.

What were the main obstacles in the translations and how did you face them?

The main obstacle for me is the limitation of my knowledge. As a young Salesian, there are a lot Salesian documents I have not learned, not even heard of. As a young cleric, not having gone through any theological formation, when Church documents are quoted or deal with dogmatic matters, I find difficulties in grasping the meaning beneath the surface, and the corresponding terminology in my own language.

To deal with this issue, I make every singe translation work a lesson to learn, especially when I deal with those citations, I find the source, and see how the original documents are translated. I use dictionaries, and consult more experienced translators if needed.

Which tools are you using in the translation work?

First it was the book-dictionary or online-dictionary; database of Salesian terms, machine translations (Google, Translation memory: TM or others). I like to use an online dictionary. It is convenient and easy to access. As a matter of fact, I have download an e-dictionary on computer and cellphone, so I can use them anytime and everywhere easily. I use Google translation a lot, through it is not as accurate as you expected, in fact, most times it isnot, but somehow it provides you with suggestions, especially when it comes to words and phrases to choose. There is a Salesian glossary for our province translators, but it was outdated, and very limited. I seldom use it, since almost every time I look it up, I get nothing but disappointment.

How do you guarantee the consistency of Salesian terminology?

First, respect the existing translation of the Salesian terminology. I keep some important documents (such as the Constitutions, Chapter documents) at hand when doing translation. To keep the consistence of my translation, I also build my own glossary.

What suggestion you can offer to beginner SDB translators?

I would like to speak from my personal experience, since I myself am a beginner in Salesian translation. First, treat every piece of work as a learning lesson, make every work a solid brick in the foundation of your translation ministry. Second, sensitise yourself with the existing translation of Salesian terminology, especially those used in official documents. At this stage, it is prudent not to coin your own words in your translation in a rush. Third, never stop learning. Translation work is a journey that never ends, as human language is alive and changing all the time, besides, translation work needs a lot of experience, which cannot be gained overnight. It can only be accumulated with time. Lastly, never be so confident about yourself, and always ask someone to check on your work before it goes public.

Some suggestions for personal and group translators formation?

Group study on documents of the congregation, to have a deep understanding of terminology. Linguistic studies, to learn grammar difference, culture differences which language is rooted in. Translators’ first language formation. There are times, difficulties that can arise in the process when the translator does not have accurate concepts in his own language. There could mis-translation when the translator has misunderstanding of certain words in his own language.

Suggestion forconcrete team-work at provincial level or EAO regional level?

At provincial level: First, to have a translation committee at provincial level is essential, to draw out translation plans and projects. This committee could also recruit members from different groups of the Salesian Family, and even outside. Many may not be as familiar with some Salesian terminology, but they can always contribute at the language level. Second, in order to keep the consistency of translation of Salesian terminology, to build and maintain an updated Salesian glossary is likewise essential. It can ideally be done by a committee or a designated group.

At regional level: Regular workshops or seminars for translators, to provide a platform for exchanging of experiences, and for them to be encouraged by each other’s work and spirit. For some important meetings, consider inviting translators to be present as part of the documentation team or even as observers if it is possible, so as to make them more sensitive to how those post-meetings documents come to be, to have a better understanding of them.

Related resources:

20190715_CIN1.jpg

20190715_CIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6025_Welcome Home Saint John Bosco!

Don Bosco’s Relic Visit in Brunswick By Afia Enosa SDB Brunswick (Melbourne), Victoria, Australia, 3 August 2023 -- The Salesian Community in Brunswick welcomed the Relic of Don Bosco that is embedded in a life-sized wax statue as par...
    Date2023.08.03 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views488 file
    Read More
  2. 6024_Salesian Provincial Community Day Vietnam

By Viet SC Don Bosco Xuan Hiep, HCM, Vietnam, 2 August 2023 --Don Bosco Salesian Province Vietnam held its Provincial Community Day from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, August 1, 2023, at Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Community in Vietnam. Attending...
    Date2023.08.02 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views464 file
    Read More
  3. 6023_Bosco Camp, Cebu

By Martin Jonas Aranzado Cebu, Philippines, 2 August 2023 -- A four-day leadership camp entitled “BOSCO CAMP” was organized by the DBTC Pastoral Office for the Youth Leaders of 2 Salesian settings: DBTC-Basic Ed and Youth Center...
    Date2023.08.02 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views453 file
    Read More
  4. 6022_ASC Retreat, Japan

By Erik Sato Chofu, Tokyo, Japan, 2 August 2023 -- The Association of Salesian Cooperators in Japan (Tokyo Area) held its annual retreat on 30 July 2023. 25 members, 2 FMA Delegates, and 2 aspirants gathered at Salesian Seminary in Chofu. 2...
    Date2023.08.02 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views351 file
    Read More
  5. 6021_Understanding the Spirituality of Communications

Media Resource Manual 2 By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Port Moresby PNG, 29 July 2023 -- Communication forms the fabric of all our relationships. It is communication that enhances the quality of our lives. Science and advancement in technology...
    Date2023.07.29 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views532 file
    Read More
  6. 6020_Summer Apostolate at Nong Vu - Hanoi Vietnam

By Mạng Lưới Thông Tin Gia đình Salêdiêng Hanoi, Vietnam, 28 July 2023 -- The Salesians in Nong Vu in Hanoi started their summer apostolate with some activities for the young people since 8 June. Every day some of f...
    Date2023.07.28 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views351 file
    Read More
  7. 6019_EAO Salesian Brother Congress 2024 - Convocation Letter

Convocation Letter: EAO 2024 SALESIAN BROTHERS' CONGRESS JAKARTA Convocation.pdf
    Date2023.07.26 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views325 file
    Read More
  8. 6018_New Altar Servers Inducted

By Soccom Correspondence DBTC Cebu, 26 July 2023 -- On July 22, 2023, Don Bosco Technical College – 24 new altar servers, known in the Salesian Youth Movement as Knights of the Altar, have been inducted into the ministry of serving at...
    Date2023.07.26 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views363 file
    Read More
  9. 6017_Strengthening Connection

A program of marriage enrichment By Fr. Ambrose Pereira and Lucy Napitalai Gabutu (Port Moresby), PNG, 26 July 2023 -- A Marriage Enrichment session, held at Don Bosco Technical School (DBTS), Gabutu, on 24 July 2023, brought together 21 co...
    Date2023.07.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views255 file
    Read More
  10. 6016_Youth Volunteers Successfully Complete Emergency Response Training

By Shannah May Louraine Artes DBTC Cebu, Philippines, 26 July 2023 -- A 2-day first aid training last July 20-21, 2023, with the theme “Common Emergencies and Basic Life Support” was organized at Don Bosco Technical College- Ceb...
    Date2023.07.26 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views303 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 537 Next
/ 537