?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 3695 Comment 2
20150617_PNG.jpg

By Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Fr. Valeriano Barbero, SDB pioneer missionary to Papua New Guinea completed 48 years of life as a Salesian priest. He reflects on his experience of faith and mission recalling incidents that have made him think. May his sharing enable us reflect on our own missionary experiences. Thank you Fr. Val.

In my early years in the Gulf province, I remember going to a village. I sat down near an old man. I spoke to him about religion. He listened for a while and then said: “Enough! Do not come here with your crucifix. Even if you do not know or understand my language, just sit down, be close to me, then I will understand your Christ and I will accept your crucifix”.

This simple lesson helped me to go to the people not as a preacher, but just as a witness, by showing the great love of God. Since that encounter 35 years have passed. Let God count how many people were touched.

I cannot judge, but I feel that the Church has entered ‘Kerema Diocese’ not by alluring people with a promise of a better kind of life. The superficiality of the approach never gave room to a life of faith. A man came to see me accompanied by his wife with this request if not a complain: It is 42 years that we have been baptised. When is the Pope going to pay for us? And this continues in many other different forms.

Of course not all is negative. I was on my way walking on a bush path towards the school when I met a person coming from his garden who was openly angry. I stopped and I asked for the reason for the anger. I would never have thought that I was indirectly the cause. “You bloody missionaries: I caught three thieves in my garden, but I could not kill them because of what you teach. You see… I am a Christian and you do not allow us to do what our fathers would have done”.

I meet from time to time some of the past pupils who once seemed to be hopeless cases and now cover positions of importance. They proudly present themselves and state their names and recall the time of their youth in the school even to the minutest details. What a memory! During any encounter with these boys – now men, I say to myself: How many of them would write to me what a mountain boy once wrote: Every time I think of you, I feel joy in my heart!

What can you say about the future of Don Bosco in PNG?

I do not know what to say about the future of Don Bosco in PNG. I know it is the land of the unexpected. I also know that Don Bosco has to be constantly present and that is what I wish it should always be: a family, where children feel to be at home and individually loved and even more loved when they are in trouble or cause trouble. These after all, without looking into many other projects are the poor entrusted to our care.

As in Antioch the followers of Christ became known as Christians by the love they shared, how beautiful if here in PNG the Salesians would be pointed out as people whose main concern is the ‘da mihi animas’ by being messengers of joy, care and hope. This country needs our Salesian charism not as a future dream, but as a constant present.

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • andywong 2015.06.18 16:47

Dear Fr Val,

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. I cried with joy when I read it.  Thank you for being who you are and for so many good things that you have done and continue to do. I thank God for you.

Fr Andy 

• brother Andrew 2015.07.06 13:57

Dear Fr. Val,

Even just few years I stayed with you in PNG, but I learn a lot and it is the foundation of my missionary life in Mongolia. 

You and your missionary experience are presenting to me as a practical and touching to the heart of the people as the Pope is doing. Thanks for your works and contribution to the mission. It is not only in PNG but to all people who had learn from you and practice in their mission places (inclide me)

Brother Andrew-Mongolia

1. 4787(I)_Audio Divina, a podcast by Fr Frank Moloney reaches 5,000th listen!

Finding more volunteer readers for the weekly gospel readings By Michael Gartland Melbourne, Australia, 12 July 2018 -- With the recent publication of its 25th episode, Audio Divina has reached over 5,000 unique downloads across 47 countrie...
    Date2018.07.14 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1408 file
    Read More
  2. 4786(IV)_Common journey within the Church

SDB and FMA in the 2018 Synod dynamics By Our Own Correspondent Rome, Itlay, 12 July 2018 -- This time the regular semestral meeting of SDB & FMA General Councils was held at the FMA General House, Via dell'Ateneo Salesiano, 81 on July ...
    Date2018.07.13 CategoryWorld Reply1 Views959 file
    Read More
  3. 4786(III)_"Sorry, I chose to be a Salesian brother and I will not be ordained"

Vocation Story of Brother Raffy Besonia By Bro. Raffy Besonia Mati, the Philippines, 12 July 2018 -- When I was a young 7-year old boy, I already heard of the name ‘Don Bosco’. I got it from one of my uncles and aunts. My mother had three s...
    Date2018.07.13 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views2025 file
    Read More
  4. 4786(II)_Beyond our boarders

Genfest opened the hearts of young people By Fr. Marc Will Lim, SDB Pampanga, the Philippines, 8 July 2018 -- Genfest 2018 held in Manila, Philippines was a concrete experience of unity in diversity. Participants coming from different races...
    Date2018.07.13 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views876 file
    Read More
  5. 4786(I)_An Encounter and Celebration of 16 Cultures

PGS Province Day 2018 By Asp. Palep Bigiglen Port Moresby, PGS, 7 July 2018 -- The Vice-Province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi celebrated its second Province Day. The celebration had two parts: the first part was an enjoyable outing by the beac...
    Date2018.07.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1207 file
    Read More
  6. 4785(II)_A new Don Bosco Technical Vocational Education and Training Center (TVET) is born!

By Ryan Gonzales Pangasinan, the Philippines, 11 July 2018 -- The image of Mary Help of Christians set foot in the Philippines four decades prior to the Salesians through the gift of then Apostolic Delegate Archbishop Guglielmo Piani to Bis...
    Date2018.07.12 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1283 file
    Read More
  7. 4785(I)_A Grace Filled Retreat - PGS 2018

By Fr. Moise Paluku, SDB Port Moresby, PNG, 7 July 2018 -- 31 participants gathered for the Annual Retreat, 1st to 7th July, 2018, at the Emmaus Conference Centre, Port Moresby. The group was joined by six Salesian sisters. The Retreat dwel...
    Date2018.07.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1963 file
    Read More
  8. 4784(IV)_"He must increase, I must decrease." (John 3:30)

On the Way to Priesthood: 10 New Salesian Deacons By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Photos: John Villafania, Alexander Amora, and Pau Cervantes Parañaque City, the Philippines, 23 June 2018 -- The Most Reverend Bishop Jesse Mercado DD of the ...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1305 file
    Read More
  9. 4784(III)_Youth serving Youth: Salesian Altar Boys in HK

Salesian Altar Boys team spirit building By Cl. Leo Leung, SDB Hong Kong, 8 July 2018 -- Salesian Altar Boys’ Day was celebrated at Salesian Missionary House, Shau Kei Wan, Hong Kong, on July 8, 2018. About 70 Salesian Altar Boys, comes fro...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryCIN Reply1 Views1720 file
    Read More
  10. 4784(II)_A new missionary priest for one of the poorest missions in Latin America

Fr. Vincent Nguyen Quoc Bao, SDB Vietnamese missionary ordained in Paraguay By SC Office PAR Asunción, Paraguay, 7 July 2018 -- In the parish of Virgen del Carmen of Carmelo Peralta, the Salesian missionary from Vietnam, Vincent Nguyen Quoc...
    Date2018.07.11 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views877 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 ... 536 Next
/ 536