NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
CIN
2015.07.28 21:47

3688_What makes me truly happy?

Views 2119 Comment 1

20150728_CIN.jpg

By Bro. Arnold de Groot, SDB

During this year the Aberdeen Technical School (ATS) in Hong Kong does celebrated the 80th anniversary. From 1935 there was a larger group of highly professional and dedicated Salesian Brothers. Thanks to them this technical and Salesian education model of ATS spread also to other EAO provinces, especially to the Philippines. Among those Brothers is also 88 years old Dutch Missionary Brother Arnold, who spent in ATS not less than 60 years of his life, educated and taught thousands of Bosconians and even now when is confined to live and move in the wheelchair, one of the ATS Past Pupils takes care about him. Follows a short interview:

Could you share your Salesian vocation story – as Salesian, Brother and Missionary ad gentes?

As a young boy in Netherlands my mother send me to the Holy Mass every day at 7.30 AM to attend the Children Mass. She knew one devote Catholic for which I bought her daily food. That woman took me to the Salesians to ask them to accept me as a Salesian Aspirant. The Salesians just had started in Holland that Aspirantate House one year before in 1937. The rector was a German, Fr. Kremer and he accepted me because as he told me it was the Feast day of St. Louis Gonzaga (June 21st)

So I had to study Latin and Greek which really I did not like and was not able to do. The rector did not send me away, but asked me if I liked to be with Don Bosco and proposed to me to become a Salesian Brother. From that day on I was happy to help in everything they ask me to do and so little by little I started to understand the Salesian life.

hen the Second World War started in 1940 and so my regular studies were impossible, then I started with corresponding courses in Electricity and later on in Electronics. Soon after the War, we could apply to go to the Missions. I have applied for China, in 1947 I arrived to Hong Kong, that time a British Colony.

After many fruitful years of what do you treasure from the Preventive System of Don Bosco?

Educative presence among the young people who like to learn and grow! Dear friends, I stayed and worked in Aberdeen Technical School from 1950, more than 60 years. I was teaching electricity and later on also electronics. Also for the Hong Kong Education Department I was Chief Examiner of Electronics for ten years, until I turned 80 years of age. I would have many things to tell you.

Any sharing for the younger generations of Salesians in our East Asia - Oceania Region?

What made me most happy in my live was music. I could take part in singing, school choir and school band and so was also with and for the boys. Now that I can do very little is my biggest problem. My meditation is: GOD IS LOVE AND LOVE IS GOD.

Although my heath is not that well as we should like to be, I can still pray for you and I am very grateful to all who care for me. Please continue to remember me in your prayers and I still will always remember you. With all my best wishes and prayers May God bless you and your work!

20150728_CIN1.jpg

20150728_CIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • anthony.moester 2015.07.29 09:06

Dear Bro Arnold de Groot,

many sincere congratulations on your 88th birthday and the many years of being a Salesian.

I still remember you from our time at don Rua in Ugchelen and the day you and your companions left for China!

I too will be 88 in September and am still a Salesian. Let us pray for each other for many more good vocations.

Ton Moester SDB (Brooklyn Park, South Australia, Australia.

1. 4795(I)_Youth – Faith – Vocation Discernment

The annual Don Bosco Youth Day: 600 Youth sent to witness Jesus Christ in North of Vietnam By Fr John Baptist Phát, SDB Lang Son, Vietnam, 19 July 2018 -- Over 600 young people from 13 groups of all SDB communities and presences in the Nort...
    Date2018.07.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1556 file
    Read More
  2. 4794(III)_How can we implement art. 45 of SDB Constitutions?

Sharing the Wisdom about Salesian Brother Vocation: Deep reflection from Rome - Brother Jess Garcia (PGS) By Bro. Jesus (Jess) Garcia, SDB Economer of St Joseph Community Sacro Cuore (Rome-Italy) RMG, 21 July 2018 -- Until this month Br. 'J...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views1899 file
    Read More
  3. 4794(II)_Being Communicative Salesians

SDB assembly on Social Communications and Finance By Fr. Drans Nolasco, SDB Makati City, the Philippines, 21 July 2018 -- The Salesians of the Philippines North Province gathered at the JOY CENTER of Don Bosco Technical Institute – Makati t...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryFIN Reply1 Views1053 file
    Read More
  4. 4794(I)_Road Map for China province 2024 - Accompaniment

Five days in the house of the Rector Major By Our Own Correspondent CIN, 20 July 2018 -- According the already established policy on close accompaniment of all Provincial Superiors, also Fr Joseph NG, new provincial of China, was called to ...
    Date2018.07.22 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1084 file
    Read More
  5. 4793(I)_Lord, we will surely deliver the water to our neighbors

Korea ASC held the Annual Conference By Mr. Thomas Aquinas Lee, ASC DaeJeon, Korea, 15 July 2018 -- Korea ASC held the Annual Conference in three big cities. July 1 in Seoul, July 8 in Gwangju, and July 15 in DaeJeon. The theme was the ‘Lor...
    Date2018.07.21 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1131 file
    Read More
  6. 4793(II)_Short but worthwhile

SMV Experience in Cambodia By Zenaida Ann Miranda Cebu, the Philippines, 20 July 2018 -- We are sharing the experiences and learning of our young volunteers Marga, Karen and Christine who went for a one-month volunteering in Cambodia. Surel...
    Date2018.07.21 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1158 file
    Read More
  7. 4792(VI)_Cagliero Project Immersion to Samoa

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Alafua, Samoa, 19 July 2018 -- A group of young Australians representing the Cagliero Project and the Salesians of Don Bosco in Australia have just returned from a very successful immersion in Samoa. The AUL Province ...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views1103 file
    Read More
  8. 4792(IV)_Path towards the 2019 EAO Salesian History Seminar

Salesian Family of EAO Region prepares for the 2019 History Seminar By Fr. Nestor Impelido, SDB EAO - ACCSSA SDB Coordinator EAO, 19 July 2018 -- Last month (June 22-24, 2018) was succesfully organized the Third South Asia Regional Salesian...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views882 file
    Read More
  9. 4792(V)_First Meeting of the Mission Animation Team AUL

By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Australia, 18 July 2018 -- Lauren Hichaaba, the Provincial Delegate for Mission Animation for the AUL Province, is now being supported by a highly competent team. The inaugural meeting for the AUL Mission A...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1442 file
    Read More
  10. 4792(III)_What makes you happy or joyful as Salesian Brother?

Interview with Bro. Tony M. Caspellan, SDB By Cl. April Jerome Quinto, SDB Manila, the Philippines, 18 July 2018 -- For Salesian Brothers’ Congress What makes you happy or joyful as Salesian Brother? The transformation of the young migrant ...
    Date2018.07.20 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1029 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 ... 533 Next
/ 533