PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1698 Comment 1

20160117_WOR.jpg

Good Night Talk given by Sr. Teresia Furuki

By Sr. Teresia Furuki Ryoko, SCG
Caritas Sisters of Jesus (SCG) Superior General

Rome, Italy, 16 January 2016 - The third day of the 34th Salesian Family Spirituality Days in Rome is characterized by the sharing of our journey in the Spirit and looking for some concrete action in the adventure of the Holy Spirit according the Strenna.

From the early morning (music video guided prayer by Fr. Fabio Pasqualetti) are many Salesians SDB, FMA, Salesian Cooperators, Hogares Don Bosco (Bosconian style of Family Movement from Spain).

At the end of the day after the Group workshop, Eucharist and Dinner there will be the only Good Night Talk given not by the Rector Major but by Sr. Teresia Furuki, the recently elected Superior General of the Caritas Sisters of Jesus.

Good evening to all!

First of all, I would like to thank Rector Major Fr.Angel for giving me a chance to say a word during this special occasion. I was so touched when Fr. Jose Pastor Ramirez contacted me immediately after the General Chapter last September to ask me to give the Buona Notte during this seminar. Despite being a small member of the Salesian family, he considered us for this role. I appreciate very much his kindness and consideration; yet I was also very frightened imagining myself standing in front of all of you in this grand hall.

Tonight I would like to share a personal experience in Japan instead of speaking as a representative of our congregation.

I was assigned in the Philippines in 1992 and stayed there for 12 years. When I returned to Japan in 2004, I realized that the Japanese people need much more serious care than the Filipino people. They seemed to be like sheep without a shepherd, harassed and helpless (Matthew 9, 36). About thirty thousand people commit suicide in a year. Despite the actions taken by the Japanese government and many religious groups to save lives, there is not much improvement in the suicide rate.

I believe that this problem is rooted in the closed character of the people and the society of Japan. The Japanese enjoy privacy. Yet this very “privacy” causes people to be isolated from each other. Those who are in need do not go to the streets. And definitely, they will not come to see you (to ask help). Usually, they just stay inside their rooms and shut themselves off even from their family members. This is the problem that you can not easily reach those who are seriously in need. They are hidden.

One day, I got to know of a young girl who died of AIDS. She was a typical teenager, a sort of juvenile delinquent, and would go out a lot with her friends in the evenings. One night, she was raped by a group of boys. After this, she just gave up her future because she thought she is now dirty. She also started prostituting herself, which led her to contract AIDS and she died very young.

I wished to say to the young people in similar situations – “You are not dirty!” “Never give up your life!” But, how can I see them? So I composed a song entitled “Inochi” meaning “Life”. While I was composing this song, I also thought about the other children who do not even feel grateful for their own lives. It is not rare in Japan to hear children say “I should never have been born!” or “No one will be sad even if I die!”

Let me share with you the lines of the song:

Life is so precious, because it is the only one in the world.

Life is so beautiful, because God made it full of love.

Life is so lovable because it is you; it is your life.

You have your father; you have your mother; you have your family, and others too.

You were born there in their midst, never alone.

And we will all protect your gift of life.

Should your heart or your body get hurt, your life is still your gift. It will never change. It will always shine beautifully.

Live! Live! I beg you to live and never give up your irreplaceable life!

Somehow this song became known little by little and it seems that it also reached those who are in need. A man who repeatedly attempted suicide heard this song in a bookstore and he wrote me to tell me he is still alive.

There are many forms of evangelization. I believe music is one of the best instruments to tell others of God’s love, especially in non-Christian environments, such as in Japanese society. Music can touch the heart of people, even those who refuse to believe in God. And now, even if I am here in Rome, the song “Inochi” continues to evangelize people in Japan. It is now being sung by adult choirs, children in schools and kindergarten, most of them are non-Catholic. Is this not a wonder, that those singing the song, despite being non-Catholics, are actually evangelizers in their own way? God is so truly gracious and I am very happy that He has made this song an instrument of evangelization in this way.

Now, I would like you to listen to the song.

I hope this will be a fitting lullaby that will lead you all to a peaceful and restful sleep. Singing is praying, and we thank God for the gift of life for each one of us.

Thank you very much and Good night!

N.B.; the links of video on the good night talking 

the beginning of the Buona Notte: gfc6rNe46y0
2. the last part of the Buona Notte including singing: vz5PR4fl2Y8
3. the note of the song:  「いのち」楽譜(PDF) (the site of publishing company)
4. being sung by Sr. Furuki and sisters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FNdjp-k7Dk
5. being sung by elementary pupils: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-t9i-UDF_0

20160117_WOR0.jpg

20160117_WOR1.jpg

20160117_WOR2.jpg

20160117_WOR_.jpg

20160117_WOR3.jpg

20160117_WOR4.jpg

20160117_WOR5.jpg

20160117_WOR6.jpg

20160117_WOR7.jpg

20160117_WOR8.jpg

20160117_WOR9.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2016.01.30 15:02
    Dear Fr. Klement

Thank you for your message.
    I am thinking about how to take our attitude  toward the ethics as a Christian especially for bioethics.
    We have to think about our lives deeply and treat them as a precious thinn we are given from God. But at the same time, we have to consider this modern situation. We have a lot of effective technology and they have many high quality systems for our lives. And our moral values are changed from what they were. So we have to think about "aggiornamento" as Vatican II said.

Suicide is very big problem in Japan. 

I think what churches can do is to make contact with the people 
    who cannot have any access to the people 
    they can talk with and are isolated form others.

I want to approach this kind of social problem too.

Thanks for making me the chance to think about this problem.
    God bless you.

1. 4828(III)_Are we ready to go out of our comfort zone?

Australia-Pacific Province celebrates its first Salesian missionary month By Fr William Mathews, SDB From the Provincial newsletter August 2018 Melbourne, Australia, 20 August 2018 -- Dear Confreres and members of the Salesian Family. Durin...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views714 file
    Read More
  2. 4828(II)_The 6th Cycling Event Pakgred – Bang Sai

Young visually impaired of Bang Sai Royal Center By Fr. Dran Nolasco, SDB Bang Sai, Thailand, 19 August 2018 -- The Skills Development Center for the Blind, in partnershipwith the Muang Thong Cycling Club, organized the 6th Cycling Event: P...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views832 file
    Read More
  3. 4828(I)_New Delegate for Salesian Cooperators of Bao local center

Fr. Anthony Nguyen Anh Tuan, SDB By Danh Điem, SDB Tan Ha, Vietnam -– At 14:30 on Sunday August 19, 2018 all the Salesian cooperators of Louis Versiglia Bao Loc Center happily welcome Fr. Anthony Nguyen Anh Tuan, SDB Rector of Don Bosco Tan...
    Date2018.08.24 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1327 file
    Read More
  4. 4827(V)_The Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us

The SYM Japan Pilgrimage 2018 in the Holy Land By Mr. Chihiro Okawa, EXDB Tokyo, Japan, 20 August 2018 -- The Holy land pilgrimage of the SYM (Salesian Youth Movement) Japan took place from August 9th to 19th. Among the 22 participants were...
    Date2018.08.23 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views4322 file
    Read More
  5. 4827(IV)_"I saw in him Don Bosco!"

An international commemoration of Fr. Giacomin (1920-2000) in Anisakan By Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 20 August 2018 -- There are many creative Salesian figures, especially missionaries, who contributed with their life witness...
    Date2018.08.23 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views3503 file
    Read More
  6. 4827(III)_Graduation and openning of new school year at Andrew Majcen Center

By Trung Hoan, SDB Ben Cat, Vietnam, 20 August 2018 -- The graduation ceremony for 17 trainees was held and the Opening of School Year took place at Ben Cat Community. This Majcen Center focuses on training in restaurants - hotels with Germ...
    Date2018.08.23 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1131 file
    Read More
  7. 4827(II)_Life Skills Market

By Fr. Andrea Ekasit, SDB Hat yai, Thailand, 20 August 2018 -- Saengthong Vitthaya School provided Life Skills Market on 20 August 2018. This event encouraged students to practice useful skills in real life. It included 30 activities which ...
    Date2018.08.23 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1855 file
    Read More
  8. 4827(I)_We are Family!

Salesian Youth Day in Hong Kong By Cl. Anthony PUN, SDB Hong Kong, 12 August 2018 -- Taking the opportunity of the 5-day International Taize Meeting, an Salesian Youth Day was organized on 12 August 2018 at Aberdeen Technical School, Hong K...
    Date2018.08.23 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1385 file
    Read More
  9. 4826(III)_Gospel 'Bisu bisu' (Whispering)

Salesian Mission Day in East Timor 2018 By Fr. Apolinario Neto Dili, Timor Leste, 22 August 2018 -- The Salesian Mission Day is already a well established tradition on August 20, being a public holiday in East Timor. Chosen first some years...
    Date2018.08.22 CategoryTLS Reply1 Views1297 file
    Read More
  10. 4826(II)_We are one Family of Don Bosco!

EAO Salesian Family delegates resolution 2018-2021 By Our Own Correspondent Anisakan, Myanmar, 21 August 2018 -- After 3 days (Aug 18-20) of hardwork and family interaction at Anisakan, Myanmar, the 30 participants of the EAO Salesian famil...
    Date2018.08.22 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views741 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 ... 533 Next
/ 533