?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 987 Comment 1

20160323_CAM.jpg

By Cl. Michael Gaikwad, SDB

Sihanoukville, Cambodia, March 23, 2016 - Cl. Michael Gaikwad originally from India - Mumbai province was a member of the 146th Salesian missionary expedition (September 2015) and arrived together with Cl. Joshua Pilaku from Nigeria to the THA Delegation of Cambodia last October 2015. At present is studying the Khmer language and doing his practical training in Sihanoukville community.

How did you sense that you had a missionary vocation? Why did you take this decision?

Earlier it was inspiration by meeting missionaries and watching Salesian mission documentaries that I sensed that I had a missionary vocation. However as discernment process began with my Rector I realized that this is gift from God. In moments of personal prayer I really felt do within me that God is calling me to be a missionary.

What does your family think of your missionary call?

Initially my family was unfamiliar with the term Salesian missionary. I had to introduce my family to this term through the help of my Parish priest who is a Salesian and also my Rector. Just like me my family too went through a discernment process and I too didn't want to take any decision in my discernment process without the consent of my family members. My family wrote to Father Provincial and expressed their willingness to support me in this call from God.

How did you accept your destination as missionary?

When I applied to the Rector Major, I mentioned that I'd like to work in any set up, preferentially in a poorer set up. I received my obedience to go to Cambodia on 12 June 2015, I was asked to write to the Provincial, that's what I did.

What problems awaited me, how was I prepared to tackle them?

Language was one issue that awaited me here. Coming to Cambodia was like coming to another Asian country. The only issue was that of the language. When I came to know I'm being sent to Cambodia, I began checking the internet about information on Cambodia and tired downloading conversation clips.

This choice needs courage, where did you get it from?

Courage is not the absence of fear. I was anxious and yes wondering how things will be here. Once I have put things in the hands of the Almighty, He held and continues to hold my hands. Initially I knew that I'm jumping, the day I realized I'm jumping into God's hand, He's the one to look after me and encourage me.

Is it worth giving your life for others in such a radical way?

I feel more than giving my life it's just sharing my life with those here in the missions of Cambodia makes me feel that I'm doing God's will. This is a challenge to be here - unfamiliar language, different culture, so many different things to learn. I feel happy to be here and in one way I can say is worth sharing my life which is God's gift to me.

The Salesians have been in Cambodia for 25 years, what does their presence mean to the people? Our presence has made a difference in the lives of the people. The academic, technical and vocational education that the Salesians impart has made a difference in the lives of the people. Many of our students can be seen employed in the society. You can bump into one past pupil at the market or at the airport. Many are employed in big companies and doing well in their lives.

What are the most urgent needs of your mission land?

The most urgent need of the missions in Cambodia is Education and through it Evangelization.

What would you think of the future of the Church in Cambodia?

I think that in the future the church in Cambodia will be more vibrant and dynamic, also blooming with local vocations. Salesians have had the credit to nurture the diocesean vocation of a Khmer priest, and presently we have 2 Salesian postnovices (who have been our students in Phonm Penn and Sihanoukville) doing their post novitiate in Thailand. There is also one pre novice from Sihanoukville studying at Thailand. One Novice and one pre novice both from Phonm Penh in Philippines.

Do you have a particular project at heart?

Cambodia is an open market for many foreign companies. I hope that many companies tie up with Don Bosco Technical school so that our students get absorbed in them on sooner they finish their studies.

Could you tell us about a day in your missionary life?

There were so many handouts I received in the orientation in Italy. The best one was that, "God is already there before me in the mission land and that I'm on holy ground and need to take off my sandals." For me it was a very touching experience to be taught Catholic prayers from a boy who is a Buddhist. The young person in the mission land became a missionary to me.

What are the challenges of the Salesian family in Cambodia?

The Salesain family in Cambodia is very young. The challenge for us Salesians is that we make the members of the Salesian family feel welcomed and have the concept that they are our collaborators in our interventions for the young. We don't have to call them to just help us when we fall short of man power, but as Salesians we have to animate them and make them an integral part of our work for the young.

What message would you like to leave for the Salesian family?

As missionaries we depend on your prayers.

20160323_CAM1.jpg

20160323_CAM2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • Sandra & Nigel 2016.03.23 19:23
    Very inspiring Bro. Michael. As an Indian in Cambodia I am proud to see a fellow Indian serving the people of Cambodia.

1. 4842(I)_Life-long commitment to the technical education for the benefit of the poor youth

Brother Mario Bois receives 28th Ilga Award By Fr. Raphael Lee, SDB Seoul, Korea, 1 September 2018 -- In the Grace Hall of Mil-Al School (Seoul, ROK), together with other two Awardee, Salesian Brother Mario Bois, SDB was awarded a prestigou...
    Date2018.09.06 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1126 file
    Read More
  2. 4841_“The Almighty has done great things for me.”

First Wantok Bosco launched in Solomon Islands By Sr. Sesilia Sala, FMA Honiara, Solomon Islands, 31 August 2018 -- The Don Bosco Technical Institute in Central Guadalcanal (Solomon Islands) was packed with nearly four hundred youth from th...
    Date2018.09.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1024 file
    Read More
  3. 4840_Bible in the Family

Welcoming September with Bible Quiz in Indonesia By Fr. Peter Tukan, SDB Jakarta, Indonesia, 3 September 2018 -- For the Catholic Church in Indonesia, every September is the Month of the Bible. This year, Bible quiz is the program of learni...
    Date2018.09.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views1203 file
    Read More
  4. 4840_A new year for formation

By Phuoc Nguyen, SDB Dalat, Vietnam, 1 Sept 2018 -- The Province of Vietnam-Mongolia celebrated the Mass of Holy Spirit for its two centers of studies, the theologate and the philosophate. As the meeting of the post-novitiate rectors in Hua...
    Date2018.09.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1364 file
    Read More
  5. 4839_Tomorrow we will do what you are doing today!

Formation aims to touch the hearts [of young Salesians] By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 3 September 2018 -- The 33 participants of the EAO and South Asia Postnovitiate formation meeting in Hua Hin had a busy Sunday: the whole mo...
    Date2018.09.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views898 file
    Read More
  6. 4838(III)_Ready to accompany the young generations of the postnovices

South and East Asia Postnovitiate formators meeting in Hua Hin By Our Own Correspondent Hua Hin, Thailand, 1 September 2018 -- From September 1 to 4 in the Don Bosco Retreat House in Hua Hin the 30 formators and teaching staff of the Salesi...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1169 file
    Read More
  7. 4838(II)_A global wave of gratitude

Fr. Jerónimo da Rocha Monteiro SDB, former World Delegate for the Past Pupils passed away By Bro. Crispim Hornay, SDB Manique, Portugal, 31 August 2018 -- Fr. Jeronimo Rocha Monteiro (1938-2018) passed way in Manique – Portugal at the age o...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1234 file
    Read More
  8. 4838(I)_Look forward to supporting the Salesian works

Cagliero Project in Timor Leste By Ms. Lauren Hichaaba Melbourne, Auslaria, 31 August 2018 -- The Cagliero Project is run by the Australia Pacific Province of the Salesians of Don Bosco. The aim of the program is to provide Australians with...
    Date2018.09.02 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views1183 file
    Read More
  9. 4837(II)_Challenging journey with the young in Bangkok

Saint Dominic School almost 60 years at the heart of Bangkok By Our Own Correspondent Bangkok, Thailand, 31 August 2018 -- Almost 2300 students and 173 teachers and staff of St Dominic School (Primary and Secondary education) at the heart o...
    Date2018.09.01 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views960 file
    Read More
  10. 4837(I)_“Run, jump and make noise but do not sin!”

Don Bosco Feast Day Celebration at DBSTC By Mr. D. Kagl, SYM Simbu, PNG, 24 August 2018 -- The Birthday Day St. Don Bosco is a very special day in any Don Bosco educational institutions around the world. It is a day of great joy in the live...
    Date2018.09.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1713 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 ... 533 Next
/ 533