By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti, SDB
Provincial of CIN
Hong Kong, February 9, 2016 - Fr. Francesco Pezzola, SDB passed away in the early hours at 01:21 AM in the St. Mary’s Home for the Aged in Wong Chuk Hang, Aberdeen, Hong Kong. This house is run by the Little Sisters of the Poor Congregation. He passed away while the Sister have been reciting the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy with this invocation: For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. It was exactly the last day of his life and the first day of the Chinese New Year.
Fr. Francesco was born in Italy, in a locality called Orzinuovi, where is also celebrated a Eucharist during his recent visit in 2007. During his 92 years he spent 77 in the China province.
During recent Golden Jubilee celebrations of Tang King Po School in the Hong Kong Cathedral presided by the Bishop of Hong Kong Card. John Tong, one of the Past Pupils appreciated the memory of his former rector Fr. Pezzola (1979-1985).
He was remembered as a wonderful Educative – Pastoral community animator. Past Pupils remember him for his personal fatherly care about each of them and his daily greeting in the main gate of the school. Until now this school past pupils are 'producing' Salesian consecrated vocations!
Fr. Francesco spent 77 years of missionary life in China province, since he arrived in 1939 at 15 years of age. He was involved in the following Salesian works in Macau and Hong Kong for past 50 years:
- 20 years in the Instituto Salesiano, Macau as prefect of studies and later as a vice-rector (1951-53, 1955-67, 1973-79)
- 17 years in the Tang King Po School, Kowloon-Hong Kong as Assistant, Chaplain and Assistant parish priest (1953-55, 1988-2003)
- 6 years in the Tang King Po College, Hong Kong (1979-1985)
- 6 years in the Aberdeen Technical School (1967-1973)
- 3 years at Our Lady of China Parish, Assistant parish priest (1985-88)
May he rest in Peace! May he intercede for many more new missionary vocations!