?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5340

20200317_RMG3.jpg

By our own correspondent

Valdocco, Turin, 17 March 2020 -- How do you feel now?

People ask me how I feel as the newly elected General Councillor for Missions. My response is: I have tried my best to avoid this election. After my service in the Missions Department I had envisioned myself returning for good to PGS. In fact, during the discernment process in view of the election of the members of the General Council, when I started to realise that something was going to happen, I explicitly turned down my nomination in the EAO Commission as Councillor for Missions because, among other reasons, our Vice Province is in serious need of personnel.

What about your vice-province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi - PNG and Solomon Islands?

The first Provincial of PGS, my predecessor, was in office only for 6 months when he was appointed bishop. So we have really just started laying foundations, structures and systems for our new Province. Unfortunately, I was nominated in 4 other regions. So at the first ballot I received 178 out of 222 votes. With this election, at an instance, all the plans and vision for our Vice Province faded on the horizon together with my wish of remaining a missionary ad vitam in this part of the world.

As my election was made public, Fr Dominic Kachira, PGS Vice Provincial, dropped me a line congratulating me and stating as well: “It’s the 2nd Provincial being taken away. I believe in the Holy Spirit and He will draw straight on a crooked and uncertain future!” Up to now I am still struggling to understand how this crooked line could ultimately become straight! What a tertiary student wrote to me encapsulates my feelings these days “I cannot understand why the Lord has to take you away from us!”

How do you look at the new task as Councilor for the Missions?

I still do not comprehend God’s designs for my own life. But my internal struggle has also made me realise again that, indeed, He is the Harvest Master, while I am nothing but just a humble worker in the vineyard of the Lord. So it is He who will decide which field he will send me to work in. Now, he has sent to work in another field of his vineyard!

The words of Pope Francis powerfully resound in my heart: “The Holy Spirit works as he wills, when he wills and where he wills; we entrust ourselves without pretending to see striking results. We know only that our commitment is necessary. … Let us give him everything, allowing him to make our efforts bear fruit in his good time” (Evangelii Gaudium, 279).

This six-year period (2020-2026) will be marked by the 150th anniversary of the first Salesian missionary expedition (1875). My wish to the 1500 Salesians of our EAO region is that each one may have the courage to allow the Holy Spirit to work in our hearts as he wills, when he wills and where he wills, so that, animated by Don Bosco’s missionary spirit, we may have the courage to get out of our comfort zones and go forth. Thanks to this missionary spirit, Don Bosco’s charism is now deeply rooted in EAO. It’s about time that every Province in EAO, rich and poor in personnel, actively participate in our Congregation’s missionary activity. Ironically, only such missionary generosity will keep our Provinces vibrantly alive to serve the poor and marginalised youth in our countries.

20200317_RMG300.jpg

20200317_RMG301.jpg

20200317_RMG302.jpg

20200317_RMG303.jpg

20200317_RMG304.jpg

20200317_RMG305.jpg

20200317_RMG306.jpg

20200317_RMG307.jpg

20200317_RMG308.jpg

20200317_RMG309.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6355_Footprints: Vocation Candidates Trace Jesus' Path this Holy Week

By Celine Acosta Don Bosco Aspirantate Formation House, the Philippines, 4 April 2024 -- With their desire to follow Jesus’ footsteps this Holy Week, 17 young Seekers stayed at the Don Bosco Aspirantate Formation House from March 27 t...
    Date2024.04.04 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views51 file
    Read More
  2. 6354_Catechetical Camp for Thai Youth 2024

By SC THA Thailand, 2 April 2024 -- During the summer holidays in Thailand, which fall in the months of March and April, the Churches under the care of the Salesians - like those in the Church of Mary Help of Christians - Phanom, Surat Than...
    Date2024.04.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views78 file
    Read More
  3. 6353_Don Bosco Learning Center Quetta- Pakistan: New School Year Commencement

By Bro Francis Nhat, SDB Quetta, Pakistan, 1 April 2024 -- The Salesian Community is thrilled to announce the commencement of the new school year 2024 at Don Bosco Learning Center Quetta, Pakistan. On 11 March 2024, our doors swung open to ...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views53 file
    Read More
  4. 6352_Grand Opening of Early Learning Adventures at Don Bosco Learning Center, Quetta

By Bro. Francis Nhat, SDB Quetta, Pakistan, 1 April 2024 --We are thrilled to announce a significant milestone in our educational journey: The inauguration of the Early Learning Adventures program at Don Bosco Learning Center in Quetta, Pak...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views56 file
    Read More
  5. 6351_The Way of the Cross 2024: Journey of Reflection and Renewal

By Jordan Pomat Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG 1 April 2024 -- The Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu commemorated the solemn occasion of the Way of Cross, reflecting Jesus' suffering and death. This event took place on 28 March 2024, within ...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views65 file
    Read More
  6. 6350_Sharing The Resurrection of Christ The Lord

By Fr. Joseph Phuoc, SDB Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, April 01, 2024 - As the Church prepared for the most solemn liturgy of the year, the Vigil of Easter Celebration, God called one of the sons of Don Bosco to share in Jesus' Death and Resurr...
    Date2024.04.01 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views341 file
    Read More
  7. 6349_Easter Triduum Celebration at Salesian Parishes, Melbourne

By Afia Enosa SDB Melbourne, Australia, 31 March 2024 -- Saint John the Baptist Parish in Clifton Hill and Collingwood and Saint Margaret Mary’s in Brunswick celebrated the beginning of the Easter Triduum with great solemnity and joy ...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views77 file
    Read More
  8. 6348_Friendship Camp 2024

By SC THA Hua Hin, Thailand, 31 March 2024 -- From 18-23 March 2024, the Salesian Commission on Youth Ministry, Thailand, organized the annual vocational camp at the Don Bosco Youth Center, Khao Takiep, Hua Hin, under the theme "The Dream t...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views100 file
    Read More
  9. 6347_Success in Passing Practical and Skills Competency Exams

Class XII TKJ and TITL DON BOSCO Vocational School of Sumba By Mrs. Maria Ester Lere Sumba - Indonesia, 31 March 2024 -- In March 2024, class XII students at various Don Bosco Vocational Schools have successfully passed an important moment ...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryINA Reply0 Views43 file
    Read More
  10. 6346_Media Education Seminar Empowers Youth

Insights from Print Media Session By Lucy Napitalai Port Moresby, PNG, 27 March 2024 -- In this ever-changing world of media, young people need the right tools to communicate effectively. On Saturday, 23 March 2024, the second session of th...
    Date2024.03.27 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views64 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536