Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 914 Comment 0
ALA_5263

20191130_AUL.jpg

Cagliero Project Volunteer: Australia, Zambia, Samoa

By Lauren Hichaaba
Delegate for Mission Animation
Director of The Cagliero Project

Melbourne, Australia, 30 November 2019 -- Ellen Hogbin is a unique volunteer within the Cagliero Project as she has undertaken two volunteer experiences in Zambia with the FMA and Samoa with the SDBs. She has also worked as an employee of the Salesians of Don Bosco in the Australia Pacific Province. She has been such a wonderful addition to all the communities where she has volunteered and has undergone real growth in her Salesian journey. Here are some insights about her experiences:

1. Please describe your volunteer experience.

I was privileged to be part of The Cagliero Project in 2018 and again in 2019. In 2018 I volunteered in Zambia, Mazabuka at the City of Joy. The City of Joy is a home for at-risk and vulnerable girls run by the Salesian Sisters. My responsibilities at City of Joy were to help support the girls who lived there, with their studies and everyday tasks. As well as being a role model and support network for them. I also ran the Oratory for the local community, which took place almost every day and I taught a local Ballet/Dance class. In 2019 I volunteered in Samoa, Upolu. Where I lived with the Salesian community at Don Bosco Technical School. I spent time teaching at Don Bosco pre-school, as well as Don Bosco Technical School. I also enjoyed assisting the brothers with work at the parishes and with their fundraiser events and Sunday schools.

2. What was one of the greatest joys of the experience?

One of the greatest joys I experienced was creating strong relationships with young people. Sharing moments of joy and happiness with them is an incredible experience. When a young person finally achieves one of their goals, which you have supported them along their way to achieve,through the hard times as they sometimes struggle with the tasks ahead, but when they finally achieve it, it’s quite amazing to share in that experience.

3. What was the one of the biggest challenges of the experience?

One of the biggest challenge’s was to be flexible with working with all different types of people from all over the world. During my time volunteering I was privileged to work with a number of different people however with that came challenges as everyone has their own working style and their own core values. Sometimes it can be a challenge to work with or around people who are very different to you but through understanding and respect this challenge becomes smaller and smaller. I also found it challenging when it was my time to leave to say goodbye to the community that I had been part of for so long. You make such strong connections with the people and their way of life, you can be heartbreaking when you leave. Although it is hard, I find it easier to think you’re not saying goodbye you’re just saying see you later and you will return to your wider family another day.

4. Describe one thing you learned from your volunteer experience.

I learnt not to give up even when things seem impossible and incredibly challenging. To keep trying and not to lose hope. Most importantly when you’re passionate about something you will find the resilience you need.

5. How has this experience impacted your life journey?

Both my experiences have impacted my life’s journey in so many ways. It has given me courage to step out of my comfort zone and to give new experiences a go. It reminds me I can achieve so much more than I thought I could. Volunteering has opened my eyes to a whole new way of life. But most importantly it’s assures me that my vocation is to work with youth and those in need of support.

6. What does Don Bosco mean to you after this experience?

What can the message of Don Bosco offer the world today? Being around the Salesians in Australia, Zambia and Samoa has showed me there are so many ways to be Salesian and to carry out Don Bosco‘s message. Whether it’s in a Parish, a High School, Kindergarten, a Home for young people or in an Oratory. No matter where you are or what setting you are in, the core of being Salesian is being with young people and celebrating their joys. I believe one of the messages that Don Bosco could offer the world today would be to do everyday actions with love, kindness and respect.

20191130_AUL2.jpg

20191130_AUL1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6356_Blessings in the holy month of Ramadan

By Fr. Sevrin Mite, SDB Blitar – Indonesia, 4 April 2024 --One of the unique things about the Indonesian nation is the diversity of religions – Islam, Catholicism, Protestant Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and o...
    Date2024.04.04 CategoryINA Reply0 Views135 file
    Read More
  2. 6355_Footprints: Vocation Candidates Trace Jesus' Path this Holy Week

By Celine Acosta Don Bosco Aspirantate Formation House, the Philippines, 4 April 2024 -- With their desire to follow Jesus’ footsteps this Holy Week, 17 young Seekers stayed at the Don Bosco Aspirantate Formation House from March 27 t...
    Date2024.04.04 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views51 file
    Read More
  3. 6354_Catechetical Camp for Thai Youth 2024

By SC THA Thailand, 2 April 2024 -- During the summer holidays in Thailand, which fall in the months of March and April, the Churches under the care of the Salesians - like those in the Church of Mary Help of Christians - Phanom, Surat Than...
    Date2024.04.03 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views84 file
    Read More
  4. 6353_Don Bosco Learning Center Quetta- Pakistan: New School Year Commencement

By Bro Francis Nhat, SDB Quetta, Pakistan, 1 April 2024 -- The Salesian Community is thrilled to announce the commencement of the new school year 2024 at Don Bosco Learning Center Quetta, Pakistan. On 11 March 2024, our doors swung open to ...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views53 file
    Read More
  5. 6352_Grand Opening of Early Learning Adventures at Don Bosco Learning Center, Quetta

By Bro. Francis Nhat, SDB Quetta, Pakistan, 1 April 2024 --We are thrilled to announce a significant milestone in our educational journey: The inauguration of the Early Learning Adventures program at Don Bosco Learning Center in Quetta, Pak...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views56 file
    Read More
  6. 6351_The Way of the Cross 2024: Journey of Reflection and Renewal

By Jordan Pomat Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG 1 April 2024 -- The Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu commemorated the solemn occasion of the Way of Cross, reflecting Jesus' suffering and death. This event took place on 28 March 2024, within ...
    Date2024.04.02 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views66 file
    Read More
  7. 6350_Sharing The Resurrection of Christ The Lord

By Fr. Joseph Phuoc, SDB Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, April 01, 2024 - As the Church prepared for the most solemn liturgy of the year, the Vigil of Easter Celebration, God called one of the sons of Don Bosco to share in Jesus' Death and Resurr...
    Date2024.04.01 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views341 file
    Read More
  8. 6349_Easter Triduum Celebration at Salesian Parishes, Melbourne

By Afia Enosa SDB Melbourne, Australia, 31 March 2024 -- Saint John the Baptist Parish in Clifton Hill and Collingwood and Saint Margaret Mary’s in Brunswick celebrated the beginning of the Easter Triduum with great solemnity and joy ...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views77 file
    Read More
  9. 6348_Friendship Camp 2024

By SC THA Hua Hin, Thailand, 31 March 2024 -- From 18-23 March 2024, the Salesian Commission on Youth Ministry, Thailand, organized the annual vocational camp at the Don Bosco Youth Center, Khao Takiep, Hua Hin, under the theme "The Dream t...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views101 file
    Read More
  10. 6347_Success in Passing Practical and Skills Competency Exams

Class XII TKJ and TITL DON BOSCO Vocational School of Sumba By Mrs. Maria Ester Lere Sumba - Indonesia, 31 March 2024 -- In March 2024, class XII students at various Don Bosco Vocational Schools have successfully passed an important moment ...
    Date2024.03.31 CategoryINA Reply0 Views43 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536