Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5259

20191126_FIS.jpg

What Filipinos are learning in Cambodia

By SALVO former volunteer – Josteno Hernan

Cebu, Philippines, 26 November 2019 -- Another SALVO Volunteer offers thoughts on his experience.

How was your volunteer experience in Cambodia?

I had a chance to render my volunteer service to the Khmer people from 14 February until 21 August 2018 at Don Bosco Technical School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The experience was indeed a remarkable one; not just a give and take experience but also a self-formative journey. It is interesting to know how the Salesians work in countries like Cambodia with only a small percentage of Catholics. It is fascinating to know the methodologies used by the Salesians to form and share the charism of Don Bosco with the people. Other volunteers had shared with me that offering my time and help to other people is very little compared to the things that I will be receiving in return. Indeed, I can say that those sentiments are true.

What did you learn in Cambodia?

First, the Salesian Preventive system, culture, personal growth and spiritual journey. One of my objectives in volunteering in Cambodia was to know how the Salesians work in the midst of a larger number of non-Catholics and how they integrate the charism of Don Bosco with the culture, beliefs and practices of the people. I have learned that the Salesians work as an NGO supporting and forming a lot of people to uplift their way of living. It is good to know that they work in spreading and sharing the love of God through their actions and service to the young. They serve the young by educating them how to dream and become good and upright citizens in their own country. They use the principles of natural law and find connections to their beliefs and afterwards integrate this into their day to day living which has the same goal of becoming a good person. The Salesian charism is strongly observable and present. The Salesians are working with and for the young.

Surprisingly, the culture of the people with regards to authority is extremely strong. The people have great respect for people involved in religion. The children are not only showing great respect to their parents but also the parents show reverence to the people whom they consider holy like the monks and the priests. And the students treat their teachers with respect and kindness. Gentleness is for me the greatest challenge to possess always when interacting with them. Everybody may seem not capable of understanding and relating with other people. But I can say that they had tried their best to make me feel comfortable and welcome through their simple smiles and timidity. They are sensitive enough to feel what I am feeling and anticipate my actions. Thus, I learn how to be cautions in all my actions.

What change has this missionary volunteer experience made to your life?

The six month missionary volunteering has changed me for the better. It enlightened me to start, stop, continue and change some of my actions and perspectives in life. It enlightens me to start appreciating the care and concerns of others. It convinced me to start believing in myself and make more new friends. And it taught me to continue seeing the goodness, greatness and talents of others. Also the experience taught me how to smile despite the sadness that is reigning in my heart, being optimistic despite the negativities around me, be productive with my time, be patient in all adversities and conflicts, be sensitive to the feelings of others, show concern and love to others and learn how to enjoy. It made me realize that I should stop being a pessimist and judgmental. And lastly it taught me to change for the better.

What wisdom do you bring back to your personal life in the Philippines?

Lastly, the whole missionary volunteering experience was productive and very formative because of His power. During stormy days and crooked roads the only one who sustained and gave me strength to stand and fight back is Jesus. Participating in the Mass, praying the Rosary and offering all my actions to Him every day have helped me to become closer and more intimate with Him. It truly illuminates my spirit to live and love.

20191126_FIS1.jpg

20191126_FIS2.jpg

20191126_FIS3.jpg

Maximum Attachments : 0Byte/ 15.00MB
Maximum File Size : 15.00MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

1. 5431(II)_First meeting of the Global Lead Team of DB Green Alliance

ALA_5431 By Ms. Taichi Miranda EAO Coordinator World, 27 July 2020 -- The Global Lead Team of the Don Bosco Green Alliance (DBGA) convened for the first time in a virtual meeting on 25 July 2020, 6:30pm Mumbai time. It was attended by Fr. ...
    Date2020.07.27 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views105 file
    Read More
  2. 5431(I)_Rector of the EAO Sandor Brothers' Formation House Installed

ALA_5431 By Sandor House News Service Photos by Br. Marcel Ximenes, SDB Paranaque, the Philippines, 24 July 2020 – FIN Provincial Superior Fr. Gerardo Martin, SDB, installed today Fr. Roneldo Vilbar, SDB as the new rector of the Bl. Istvan...
    Date2020.07.27 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views206 file
    Read More
  3. 5430(III)_Statement by His Eminence Charles Cardinal Bo

ALA_5430 Hagia/Sofia By Charles Bo President of Federation of Asia Bishops’ Conferences Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar Yangon, Myanmar, July 2020 -- Freedom of religion or belief is a foundational human right for everyone, of every faith an...
    Date2020.07.26 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views120 file
    Read More
  4. 5430(II)_TLS: SYM and Social Communication commission meetings

ALA_5430 By Fr. Lourenco da Neves and Fr. Joao Boavida Comoro, Dili, Timor Leste, 25 July 2020 -- This week two important animation meetings (offline) were held in the Timor Leste Vice-province of St Callisto Caravario - Salesians who anim...
    Date2020.07.26 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views65 file
    Read More
  5. 5430(I)_Five day communication workshop for the 4 Korean novices

ALA_5430 By KOR Salesian Bulletin KOR Province Newsletter Salesian Bulletin, Seoul, July-August issue 2020 -- Twelve months in the life of each Salesian consecrated religious, brothers or future priests - the novitiate - probably makes the...
    Date2020.07.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views67 file
    Read More
  6. 5429(II)_Who are the Past Pupils of Don Bosco today?

ALA_5429 By our own correspondent Rome, 24 July 2020 -- The 'magic' date of 24 June 2020 - 150th anniversary of the birth of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco is over, but the Jubilee Year continues until 24 June 2021. The Past Pupils have prep...
    Date2020.07.24 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views153 file
    Read More
  7. 5429(I)_Seminar leaves lasting impression on students

ALA_5429 By Nigel Akuani Madang, Papua New Guinea, 24 July 2020 -- A truly high-spirited and lasting impression was experienced by the audience as the eighteen students of Divine Word University presented their audio and video short-films ...
    Date2020.07.24 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views41 file
    Read More
  8. 5428(II)_Kumgi DBSTC open second semester with recollection

ALA_5428 By Fr. Angel Savio Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, 22 July 2020 -- The students of Don Bosco Simbu Technical College opened the Second Semester with a Recollection facilitated by the Rector who is also the Spiritual Moderato...
    Date2020.07.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views103 file
    Read More
  9. 5428(I)_Revised Salesian Prayer Manual ed. 2020

ALA_5428 RMG, Rome, 23 July 2020 -- In the presentation to the 'Salesian Prayer Manual' (220 pages, ed. 2020), the 10th successor of Don Bosco, Fr. Angel F. Artime explains the background and goals of this revised Salesian Prayer Book: "M...
    Date2020.07.23 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views140 file
    Read More
  10. 5427(II)_Shared Mission of Youth Ministry and Missionary Animation

ALA_5427 By SYM-FIS Facilitators Marawi, the Philippines, 22 July 2020 -- The article that follows was offered on 21 July, although it refers to an event back in March. Still and all, it is worth reporting on. The Salesian Youth Movement (...
    Date2020.07.22 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views133 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 352 Next
/ 352