Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1014 Comment 0
20181130_FIN.jpg

Interview with Fr. De Guzman, SDB

By Our Own Correspondent

Manila, the Philippines, 29 November 2018 -- Interview with Fr Renato De Guzman, invited expert at the 2018 Synod on 'Faith-Youth-Vocational discernment'

What was your learning experience at the 2018 Synod?

1. The Synod showed me how the Church loves the youth: it begins with Pope Francis, the bishops, the laity and the youth who came together and spent time in listening, reflecting, praying and enjoying each other’s presence. The Synod made us experience the value of walking with youth as Church, God’s Family in communion and mission.
  2. The Synod made me more convinced than ever that Don Bosco is a prophet of youth ministry. He left us a spiritual and pedagogical patrimony in relating with the young that was echoed in the Synod Hall in various ways, languages and stories, even by non-Salesians. At the same time in the Synod, I learned that Don Bosco’s educational patrimony is also enriched by the other disciplines, expertise and experiences with youth from non-Salesian tradition. This makes me humble and open to other movements of the Spirit in the Church for the good of the youth.
  3. As fruit of the Synod for me, I have had the humbling awareness of my inadequate appreciation of Don Bosco’s patrimony of walking with the young. This has led me to ask myself: all these years as a Salesian have I been an entertainer for the youth or a technocrat of youth ministry or an authentic and exemplary youth missionary-minister?

What are the 3 most important fruits of the 2018 Synod?

The first is in the Final Document Art no. 118 that Fr Rosanno, one the Special Secretaries, mentioned in his interview. “The fruit of this Synod, the choice that the Spirit has inspired us through the process of listening and discernment is to walk with the youth in going out to all to give witness to the love of God.” The Synod came out with an awareness of being a synodal church for the young: that is, being present to them; listening with empathy; accompanying and helping the young to discern their purpose and mission in life.

The second fruit is the recognition that youth are “today,” they are not only the future but the present, hence they are God’s gift to the Church and to the world. The Synod affirms that the youth are protoganists of their life today and tomorrow. There is a need to help them face this life and journey through this life with a purpose, with a mission. Hence, the Synod strongly proposes that a culture of vocation be created in the local church and in every youth ministry setting.

The third lesson is that we recognise that youth ministry today has two essential characteristics: youthful and vocational: “Since the start of the synodal journey the need to qualify youth ministry and its vocational orientation has come out with force. In this way two indispensable characteristics of ministering to the youth of today have come up: “youthful” because its recipients belong to the age group called youth that is unique and not repeatable in life; and “vocational” because youth is a privileged stage of life that is open to life’s choices and to respond to the call of God.”

What do you suggest to the Salesians immersed in their busy apostolic life - how can they be inspired by this Synod?

I suggest the following steps that the FIN Province is taking as we join the Church in the Philippines in celebrating the Year of the Youth and we prepare for the Provincial Chapter that asks us “What kind of SDBS are we for the young today”.

1. Get to know and appreciate the Final Document of the Synod in one’s own language even though it may be an unofficial translation. We will better understand Pope Francis in his future Post Synodal Apostolic Exhortation if we study and reflect on the Final Document.
  2. Draw out the “Salesian” features in the Final Document: a) those that are traceable in our Salesian tradition and b) those that are not “Salesian” but will enrich and enhance our current youth ministry.
  3. Reflect and make those “synodal” features in the Final Document concrete in the provincial chapter and in actual youth ministry in the Province.

Listening to the young people was at the heart of the Synod. What does it mean for us Salesians?

It means that we Salesians have to go back to Don Bosco and learn from his spirit of listening. In his preventive system he taught us Salesians how to listen to the youth with all our senses and especially with the heart.

Many Salesians were present in the Synod Hall this time. What does it mean for the 14,500 SDBs around the world after the Synod?

I believe it means more humility for us Salesians to appreciate the presence of many other charisms for the good of the youth, to be open to many other ways of relating with the youth today, to experiment another way of walking with the youth: the synodal way, hoping that with our salesian tradition, this synodal walking with the youth will truly respond to their context today and will be effective in forming them into Don Bosco’s vision for the youth: to be good christians and honest citizens today.

20181130_FIN1.jpg

20181130_FIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5155_Salesian Cooperators in the digital world

Korean Salesian Cooperators renewed website By Mr. Choe Seon-Ho Ivo, ASC Provincial Coordinator Seoul, Korea, 31 July 2019 -- Francis de Sales widely used publications for faith education of believers. De Sales is the patron saint of journa...
    Date2019.07.31 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1361 file
    Read More
  2. 5154_Don Bosco's Rooms in Rome

Great guide for 5000 pilgrims - Brother Cosimo By Our Own Correspondent Rome, Italy, 30 July 2019 -- There are four main holy places of Don Bosco - three in Piedmont (Valdocco, Chieri and Becchi-Colle Don Bosco) and one in Rome (Sacro Cuore...
    Date2019.07.30 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1739 file
    Read More
  3. 5153(II)_The VDB mission today - 8th General Assembly concludes

Election of new leadership Dagmar K. and her Central Council By VDB Delegate at GA8 Frascati, Italy, 28 July 2019 -- After 10 days of intense sharing, discernment, prayers and communion among the 100 Volunteers of Don Bosco (VDB) secular in...
    Date2019.07.29 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1389 file
    Read More
  4. 5153(I)_We can't imagine Salesian formation without translation

Interview with Fr Silvio Roggia, SDB By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 28 July 2019 -- In our Congregation, spread throughout 132 countries (today), nobody who is assigned to the service of the Rector Major, can avoid daily struggle with transl...
    Date2019.07.29 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1135 file
    Read More
  5. 5152(II)_A beautiful Provincial Community Day VIE

By Fr. Joseph Am, SDB Xuan Hiep, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 26 July 2019 -- We have just concluded the Provincial Community day. It started at 8 a.m. with the Eucharistic celebration in St John Bosco parish church (Xuan Hiep, HCM) celebrate...
    Date2019.07.27 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1227 file
    Read More
  6. 5152(I)_Very practical Manual for Missionary Animation and Formation

Salesian Missionary Animation Manuel published By Fr. Martin Lasarte, SDB Misssions Sector RMG, 26 July 2019 -- The result of a long journey, a new edition of the 'SALESIAN MISSION ANIMATION: MANUAL OF THE PROVINCIAL DELEGATE' (PDMA) was re...
    Date2019.07.27 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1187 file
    Read More
  7. 5151_"Good Christians and upright citizens"

ALA_5151 The Rector Major releases a first draft of the 2020 Strenna By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 25 July 2019 -- In response to the Salesian Family’s request of the Rector Major that he provide at least an outline of the 2020 Strenna in t...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1613 file
    Read More
  8. 5150(II)_From Vietnam to Nigeria: Fr Peter's missionary vocation journey

Interview with a newly ordained Salesian missionary priest, Fr. Peter Nghia, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Vinh Long, Vietnam, 26 July 2019 -- On 12 July 2019, Deacon Peter Nguyen Trong Nghia, Vietnamese missionary in AFW Province (Ghana, Ni...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1179 file
    Read More
  9. 5150(I)_We need the Salesian Glossary

Interview with Fr Michael Chang, SDB EAO Translators Workshop 2019 By Our Own Correspondent Gwangju, Korea, 26 July, 2019 -- Fr. Michael Chang is currently the Rector of Gwangju - Salesian High School community and is one of the 20 SDBs who...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  10. 5149_A Gentle Salesian meets his Creator

Fr. Hilario Tamona passed away By Fr. Favie Faldas, SDB DBTI Makati-Manila, Philippines, 19 July 2019 -- A gentle Salesian, Fr. Hilario (Larry) Constantino Garcia Tamonan (1946-2019) was called by his Creator last July 12 after 54 faithful ...
    Date2019.07.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1739 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 537 Next
/ 537