Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 1215 Comment 0

20180611_PGS.jpg

A Japanese young Salesian talking about his missionary experience in PGS

By Cl. Philip Neri Tsutsumi, SDB

Araimiri, PNG, 10 June 2018 -- I was born in Fukuoka, Japan. In 2010 I became a Junior aspirant. After my novitiate in Chofu I made my first profession on March 19, 2016. I graduated from the Sophia University with a degree in education last March. Since I had long expressed my missionary desire to my Novice Director and then to my Provincial, Fr. Mario Yamanouchi, he sent me to PGS Vice-Province to help me discern my missionary vocation. I was welcomed here with open arms last April 5.

Upon my arrival I had 2 weeks cultural orientation in the Provincial House in Port Moresby. Fr. Alfred Maravilla, the Provincial, helped me understand not only the history and directives of the PGS Vice-Province but also the Melanesian culture and values which are so different from my Japanese culture and values. I was also pleasantly surprised that this small PGS Vice-Province is made up of confreres from 14 countries, working together for marginalised young people in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands!

I was assigned to Don Bosco Araimiri in the Gulf Province, around 7 hours from Port Moresby through rough road. I hope to be here until March next year, but already after 3 months I am so happy with my experience. Before coming here I had romanticised missionary life. Now after being fully involved in the life and activities of the 5 other confreres I realised that missionary life is difficult because we have to deal with very difficult people, tough environment and deprivations of things I took for granted in Japan (no electricity, no internet, no phone signal, etc). I have lost a bit of weight but my health is OK. But I also realised how much the whole community helps me to grow in my Salesian and missionary vocation. Cl. Sylvester Kuli is a practical trainee with me. We help and support each other.

Last month we had the practical trainees encounter. It was a beautiful experience for me to meet other young Salesians and share our experiences together. In Japan I was the only novice and now there is only 1 practical trainee. Instead here I learnt so much from our group sharings as young Salesians from PNG, India, El Salvador and Japan. I really appreciated our camaraderie.

Last month Cl. Sylvester Kuli renewd his vows in Araimiri surrounded by so many young people. I am happy that Fr. Alfred agreed to consider my request of the possibility to renew my vows next year also surrounded by so many young people here in Araimiri. He reminded me, however, that I am here to discern my missionary vocation with the help of my rector, hopefully in view of making myself available to the Rector Major through my missionary application.

Last June 9 I celebrated my 24th birthday in a very simple and frugal way, but very memorable for me. Thank you PGS Vice-Province for this missionary experience!

20180611_PGS0.jpg

20180611_PGS1.jpg

20180611_PGS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5155_Salesian Cooperators in the digital world

Korean Salesian Cooperators renewed website By Mr. Choe Seon-Ho Ivo, ASC Provincial Coordinator Seoul, Korea, 31 July 2019 -- Francis de Sales widely used publications for faith education of believers. De Sales is the patron saint of journa...
    Date2019.07.31 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1361 file
    Read More
  2. 5154_Don Bosco's Rooms in Rome

Great guide for 5000 pilgrims - Brother Cosimo By Our Own Correspondent Rome, Italy, 30 July 2019 -- There are four main holy places of Don Bosco - three in Piedmont (Valdocco, Chieri and Becchi-Colle Don Bosco) and one in Rome (Sacro Cuore...
    Date2019.07.30 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1739 file
    Read More
  3. 5153(II)_The VDB mission today - 8th General Assembly concludes

Election of new leadership Dagmar K. and her Central Council By VDB Delegate at GA8 Frascati, Italy, 28 July 2019 -- After 10 days of intense sharing, discernment, prayers and communion among the 100 Volunteers of Don Bosco (VDB) secular in...
    Date2019.07.29 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1389 file
    Read More
  4. 5153(I)_We can't imagine Salesian formation without translation

Interview with Fr Silvio Roggia, SDB By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 28 July 2019 -- In our Congregation, spread throughout 132 countries (today), nobody who is assigned to the service of the Rector Major, can avoid daily struggle with transl...
    Date2019.07.29 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1135 file
    Read More
  5. 5152(II)_A beautiful Provincial Community Day VIE

By Fr. Joseph Am, SDB Xuan Hiep, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 26 July 2019 -- We have just concluded the Provincial Community day. It started at 8 a.m. with the Eucharistic celebration in St John Bosco parish church (Xuan Hiep, HCM) celebrate...
    Date2019.07.27 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1227 file
    Read More
  6. 5152(I)_Very practical Manual for Missionary Animation and Formation

Salesian Missionary Animation Manuel published By Fr. Martin Lasarte, SDB Misssions Sector RMG, 26 July 2019 -- The result of a long journey, a new edition of the 'SALESIAN MISSION ANIMATION: MANUAL OF THE PROVINCIAL DELEGATE' (PDMA) was re...
    Date2019.07.27 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1187 file
    Read More
  7. 5151_"Good Christians and upright citizens"

ALA_5151 The Rector Major releases a first draft of the 2020 Strenna By Our Own Correspondent RMG, 25 July 2019 -- In response to the Salesian Family’s request of the Rector Major that he provide at least an outline of the 2020 Strenna in t...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1613 file
    Read More
  8. 5150(II)_From Vietnam to Nigeria: Fr Peter's missionary vocation journey

Interview with a newly ordained Salesian missionary priest, Fr. Peter Nghia, SDB By Our Own Correspondent Vinh Long, Vietnam, 26 July 2019 -- On 12 July 2019, Deacon Peter Nguyen Trong Nghia, Vietnamese missionary in AFW Province (Ghana, Ni...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1179 file
    Read More
  9. 5150(I)_We need the Salesian Glossary

Interview with Fr Michael Chang, SDB EAO Translators Workshop 2019 By Our Own Correspondent Gwangju, Korea, 26 July, 2019 -- Fr. Michael Chang is currently the Rector of Gwangju - Salesian High School community and is one of the 20 SDBs who...
    Date2019.07.26 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views1185 file
    Read More
  10. 5149_A Gentle Salesian meets his Creator

Fr. Hilario Tamona passed away By Fr. Favie Faldas, SDB DBTI Makati-Manila, Philippines, 19 July 2019 -- A gentle Salesian, Fr. Hilario (Larry) Constantino Garcia Tamonan (1946-2019) was called by his Creator last July 12 after 54 faithful ...
    Date2019.07.25 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1739 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 ... 537 Next
/ 537