PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 930 Comment 3
ALA_5415

20200707_FIN.jpg

Written by Cl. Paul Miguel Calderon, SDB

Photos by Cl. Jonas Paulo Lacson, SDB

Canlubang, Laguna, the Philippines, 5 July 2020 --The Philippine North Province rejoices at the first religious profession of its newest member in the person of Cl Antonio Josef Rodriguez, SDB.

Cl. “Anthony,” as he is fondly called, made his First Profession this morning at the Diocesan Shrine of Mary Help of Christians.

Following the protocols set by the government to limit mass gatherings, a small handful of his family members came, joined by Salesians from various communities of the Province.

The event was livestreamed thru the Facebook page of the FIN Province.

This was the first time a provincial gathering was held more than three months after the state issued nationwide quarantine measures in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The Mass was presided by FIN Provincial Superior, Rev. Fr. Gerardo N. Martin, SDB, concelebrated with some Salesian priests.

Cl. Anthony hails from Makati City, Philippines, and is an alumnus of Don Bosco Technical Institute Makati. He entered the aspirantate in 2014 after a year of College Studies at the University of Sto. Tomas. Consequently, he was accepted for Prenovitiate in 2018 and Novitiate in 2019. He is the only son of Mr. Arnold. and Mrs. Josephine Rodriguez.

In his gratitude speech, he thanked his parents for being generous to God. In return, the Congregation gifted the family with a statue of Don Bosco with Mamma Margarette.

A portion of his vocation story is posted in the FIN website

20200707_FIN1.jpg

20200707_FIN2.jpg

20200707_FIN3.jpg

20200707_FIN4.jpg

20200707_FIN5.jpg

20200707_FIN6.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • vaclav 2020.07.17 01:07

Vocation Story of Cl. Anthony Rodriguez, SDB

My childhood dream was to be a soldier and enter the Philippine Military Academy (PMA), but when I found out that they had a minimum height requirement of 5’6’’ for male applicants, I banked on being a pilot. Knowing that my eyes were far from being 20-20, I then thought of being a doctor instead, owing inspiration from a close uncle of mine.

I kind of stuck around with the thought of being a doctor and resigned myself to it, but when I reached third year high school, I was faced with these questions, “What do I want to do with my life? How would I give meaning to it?”

I joined the Boscorale (resident all-male choir of Don Bosco Technical Institute–Makati) and one of my fellow choir members teasingly called me “pads,” and this stuck with me. And so, this sort of piqued my interest. I thought, “Perhaps being a priest would answer those million-dollar questions for me.” Thus, began my asking around about the priestly life, and I approached my religion teacher for this, a former seminarian himself, Mr. Roman Torres. He helped me with some queries and directed me to Fr. Renato ‘Fr. Degz’ De Guzman, SDB who would eventually help me solidify my decision, and would be my door towards Salesian life.

At the middle of my fourth-year high school, after making our retreat in Don Bosco Batulao, and having talked to another Salesian, Fr. Noel Sumagui, I was determined to enter the Formation House in Canlubang.

Since I was an only child, understandably, I wasn’t allowed by my parents to enter. And so, I made a decision instead of pursuing a prospective medical career, enrolling as a Biology major in University of Santo Tomas. But, throughout the year, the Lord was incessant in bugging me. I knew deep down inside that He was calling me not to España, but to Yulo Blvd in Canlubang where Don Bosco Prenovitiate is located.

At around the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, I manifested the deepest yearnings of my heart to my parents. I knew for certain that I had to fight for this vocation, and so I told them that I still wanted to enter the seminary, that I feel I will be happier following God’s call for me. I wrote this all down in letter form, according to the advice of Fr. Degz, whom I was still seeing for monthly spiritual direction. And so, by the grace of God, my mother and my father, amidst tears, gave their consent.

The five years I’ve spent in Canlubang have truly been a life-changing experience, not just because I’ve become a better person, but more so because I’ve grown closer to the God Who has been there all along. My formators, my community, and everyone I’ve met and encountered, especially the young people, have helped me see God’s call in a clearer light.

As I finish this novitiate year, the same Lord Who has consecrated me to Himself on the day of my baptism, by His grace, made my relationship with Him deeper. In the process, I was able to know myself better, to know Don Bosco ever more closely, and to cherish the Salesian vocation God has placed within my heart. But all of these would be for naught if my relationship with the Lord does not take precedence.

I also owe my vocation to the Blessed Mother who has always been its mother. When I was in first year high school, my family began to pray the rosary together on a daily basis thanks to the influence of a devout aunt of mine from the States. Ever since then, I’ve seen the role of the Blessed Mother more clearly, both in my family’s life, and in my growth in this vocation.

In following God’s call to be a Salesian of Don Bosco, I am filled with gratefulness for Him Who has done marvelous things in me. This is His project, and my vocation is hinged on the truth that it is a portrait of God’s love for me, a love that pushes me to be a sign and bearer of God’s love to all, especially to young people.

• vaclav 2020.07.17 01:07

Vocation Story of Cl. Anthony Rodriguez, SDB

My childhood dream was to be a soldier and enter the Philippine Military Academy (PMA), but when I found out that they had a minimum height requirement of 5’6’’ for male applicants, I banked on being a pilot. Knowing that my eyes were far from being 20-20, I then thought of being a doctor instead, owing inspiration from a close uncle of mine.

I kind of stuck around with the thought of being a doctor and resigned myself to it, but when I reached third year high school, I was faced with these questions, “What do I want to do with my life? How would I give meaning to it?”

I joined the Boscorale (resident all-male choir of Don Bosco Technical Institute–Makati) and one of my fellow choir members teasingly called me “pads,” and this stuck with me. And so, this sort of piqued my interest. I thought, “Perhaps being a priest would answer those million-dollar questions for me.” Thus, began my asking around about the priestly life, and I approached my religion teacher for this, a former seminarian himself, Mr. Roman Torres. He helped me with some queries and directed me to Fr. Renato ‘Fr. Degz’ De Guzman, SDB who would eventually help me solidify my decision, and would be my door towards Salesian life.

At the middle of my fourth-year high school, after making our retreat in Don Bosco Batulao, and having talked to another Salesian, Fr. Noel Sumagui, I was determined to enter the Formation House in Canlubang.

Since I was an only child, understandably, I wasn’t allowed by my parents to enter. And so, I made a decision instead of pursuing a prospective medical career, enrolling as a Biology major in University of Santo Tomas. But, throughout the year, the Lord was incessant in bugging me. I knew deep down inside that He was calling me not to España, but to Yulo Blvd in Canlubang where Don Bosco Prenovitiate is located.

At around the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas, I manifested the deepest yearnings of my heart to my parents. I knew for certain that I had to fight for this vocation, and so I told them that I still wanted to enter the seminary, that I feel I will be happier following God’s call for me. I wrote this all down in letter form, according to the advice of Fr. Degz, whom I was still seeing for monthly spiritual direction. And so, by the grace of God, my mother and my father, amidst tears, gave their consent.

The five years I’ve spent in Canlubang have truly been a life-changing experience, not just because I’ve become a better person, but more so because I’ve grown closer to the God Who has been there all along. My formators, my community, and everyone I’ve met and encountered, especially the young people, have helped me see God’s call in a clearer light.

As I finish this novitiate year, the same Lord Who has consecrated me to Himself on the day of my baptism, by His grace, made my relationship with Him deeper. In the process, I was able to know myself better, to know Don Bosco ever more closely, and to cherish the Salesian vocation God has placed within my heart. But all of these would be for naught if my relationship with the Lord does not take precedence.

I also owe my vocation to the Blessed Mother who has always been its mother. When I was in first year high school, my family began to pray the rosary together on a daily basis thanks to the influence of a devout aunt of mine from the States. Ever since then, I’ve seen the role of the Blessed Mother more clearly, both in my family’s life, and in my growth in this vocation.

In following God’s call to be a Salesian of Don Bosco, I am filled with gratefulness for Him Who has done marvelous things in me. This is His project, and my vocation is hinged on the truth that it is a portrait of God’s love for me, a love that pushes me to be a sign and bearer of God’s love to all, especially to young people.

• vaclav 2020.07.17 01:09

Dear Antonio

no more call you 'a foreigner'.... 

you mates are gone...

wish you a daily growth 

in response to the call of God

to be another Don Bosco

for the young people of the Philippines

and beyond!

fr. vaclav

1. 6106_SYM Leaders and Animators Formation (LAF) 2023 – Cebu District

By Lord Sealtiel Zafra from Mary Help of Christians School – Cebu Cebu, Philippines, 25 September 2023 -- On 23 September 2023, youth leaders and animators from various settings in the Cebu District gathered at Don Bosco Technical Col...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views284 file
    Read More
  2. 6105_Meeting between Rectors and Salesian parish priests

By Vie SC K’Long, Đức Trọng, Lâm Đồng, Viet Nam, 25 September 2023 -- After the opening ceremonies of the new school year at the Institutes and the catechism year at the parishes, the 2023-2024 year of activities at the Provinci...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views430 file
    Read More
  3. 6104_Catholic Community accompanies young migrants in Saitama-Japan

By Fr Angel Yamanouchi, SDB Saitama Diocese, Japan, 25 September 2023 -- On 24 September, a meeting of young people from different parishes was held in the parish of Honjo in the diocese of Saitama. The aim of the meeting was to give young ...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views594 file
    Read More
  4. 6103_Don Bosco Da Lat Students Open New School Year 2023-2024

By Vie SC Da Lat, Vietnam, 25 September 2023 -- Sunday morning September 24, 2023, at Don Bosco Dalat Academy, Don Bosco Dalat Student Group (SOB) organized the opening of the new school year 2023-2024. Attending were Father Thomas Vu Kim L...
    Date2023.09.25 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views640 file
    Read More
  5. 6102_Missionaries from EAO: From the Philippines to Africa

By Fr Arnel Jason Mengote Fr Arnel Jason Mengote Bergonio, a 39-year-old Filipino from Oras, Eastern Samar, Philippines. He is a member of the 152nd missionary expedition (2022). After a long process of Visa application, he arrived in Mozam...
    Date2023.09.25 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views602 file
    Read More
  6. 6101_Missionaries from EAO: Greater Love to Serve

By Fr. Juna Amang Fr Ferdinandus Ola Amang better known as " Fr. Juna", 37 years old, of Kalimantan Utara, Indonesia, is a member of the 151 Missionary expedition (2020) but is able to participate only this year in the Orientation Course fo...
    Date2023.09.24 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views514 file
    Read More
  7. 6100_EAO SocCom Meeting

By Fr Keith Amodia, SDB Salesian Retreat House, Hua Hin, Thailand, 24 September 2023 – Fourteen representatives and delegates from the East Asia-Oceania Region gathered in Hua Hin for the regional Social Communications sector meeting ...
    Date2023.09.24 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1147 file
    Read More
  8. 6099_A Symphony of Hope from the Voices in the EAO Region

By Fr Keith Amodia SDB, FIN SC Coordinator (ANS – Hua Hin) - The Voices Project was inaugurated on September 19, 2023, at the Hua Hin Retreat Centre, Thailand with the participation of all the Social Communication delegates and Youth ...
    Date2023.09.23 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views397 file
    Read More
  9. 6098_Myanmar has new Salesian Deacon

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 23 September 2023 -- On September 16, 2023, at 06:30 a.m., a selected group of people were gathered in the chapel of St. Joseph at the Provincialate to witness the diaconate ordination of Justin Aun...
    Date2023.09.23 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views310 file
    Read More
  10. 6097_Blood Relic of Padre Pio Visits MHC Diocesan Shrine

By Aspirant Andrew Espanzo Calamba City, the Philippines, 23 September 2023 -- The Diocesan Shrine of Mary Help of Christians in Canlubang, was blessed today with a special visit of the blood relic of St. Padre Pio from the National Shrine ...
    Date2023.09.23 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views402 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 533 Next
/ 533