PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5342

20200320_AUL.jpg

Hopes and Dreams: to GC28 from Australia

By Ms Lauren Hichaaba
Provincial delegate for missionary animation

Melbourne, Australia, 20 March 2020 -- As I prepared to go to the General Chapter 28 there were so many different things that I hoped to learn and discuss and to share. My hope is that at some point there will be scope and time to discuss the very important question about shared mission and formation with the laity and the Salesians of Don Bosco. As that is not possible right in this moment I have been asked to (briefly) share a few points. The one who made the request knows all too well that I do not have the gift of being brief:

Shared mission among the Salesians and Lay as mission partners

• First and probably most importantly, the relationship that exists between the laity and the Salesians of Don Bosco is so special and so beautiful. This relationship began with Don Bosco. It is wonderful to always reflect on the way that Don Bosco shared his mission with Mama Margaret, one of his most trusted and important key lay collaborators!
  • My perspective comes from someone who takes their vocation to work for young people very seriously. There are many ways that the ‘Salesian’ vocation is manifested and recognising that there are many laity that have the ‘Salesian’ vocation is important as we discuss the way forward for the Salesians of Don Bosco and the laity.
  • We need to celebrate the diversity of those that have the vocational call to follow the life of Don Bosco. There are so many different perspectives and lived experiences – we need to value that and more importantly there is great scope to start utilising that in a much more systematic and purposeful way.
  • The main point here is that we must work towards greater and more diverse representation at all decision-making levels (e.g provincial councils...). This broadly includes the laity but most specifically voices that have historically been marginalised in the Church – women and young people particularly! I am not exactly sure what this means or how this looks – I just know it is important!

What kind of Salesians for the Youth of Today?

This is a complex question however at the heart of the answer are two key principles!

• The first is genuine, authentic presence. If I have learned anything as a mother of four…all my kids want is for me to be with them. The human desire for connectedness is something that all young people have – in fact all people have! Therefore, the answer to this very important question begins with presence.

• Secondly, probably most important of all, is ensuring that we do everything we do with an attitude of love. In an institution there can run the risk of institutionalism and clericalism that disconnect someone with their humanity….it is so important that together, laity and Salesians of Don Bosco continually connect with their humanity and their ability to love.

• There are so many incredible ‘guidelines’ on how to love…and St. Paul is such a great starting place…however l would like to also suggest that key to loving our young people is allowing ourselves to not only remain in touch with our humanity but to the point of vulnerability. If we can allow ourselves to be vulnerable then our authenticity and love will speak volumes. We must remember that to love is not the easy choice….real love takes work, it is scary and it does in fact leave us vulnerable.

• For this reason, it is only together in genuine and authentic and meaningful shared mission that we can undertake the crucial vocational call that we have to undertake the task to love the young people of this world!

Related news article:

20200320_AUL1.jpg

20200320_AUL2.jpg

20200320_AUL3.jpg

20200320_AUL4.jpg

20200320_AUL5.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6146_21 Confreres Instituted to the Sacred Ministries

By Rev. Jogar Villanueva, SDB Parañaque City, the Philippines, 19 October 2023 – Twelve (12) of the brothers of Seminaryo ng Don Bosco were instituted to the Sacred Ministry of Lectors and nine (9) to the Sacred Ministry of Aco...
    Date2023.10.19 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1177 file
    Read More
  2. 6145_Young Thais Attend the Screening of the DBGYFF

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 18 October 2023 – From 13-14 October 2023, the Salesian Province of Thailand, Cambodia, and Laos sent 14 short films to compete at the "2nd Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival 2023". The participation was...
    Date2023.10.18 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1228 file
    Read More
  3. 6144_Forever a Salesian, A missionary everywhere

By Fr. Micaer Lap, SDB Chofu, Japan, 17 October 2023 – Our confrere, Salesian Priest Cavaliere Umberto (93 years old, 70 years as a Salesian, 62 years as a priest) of the Yokohama Community, was called to heaven with Don Bosco at 9:29...
    Date2023.10.17 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views750 file
    Read More
  4. 6143_Salesian Thailand Vocation Camp 2023 in Udonthani

By THA SC Udonthani, Thailand, 17 October 2023 – The Vocation Sector of the Youth Pastoral Commission led by Fr. Nattawut Kitsawad, SDB, together with the Salesian confreres from Sampran, organized the vocation camp from 12-14 October...
    Date2023.10.17 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views621 file
    Read More
  5. 6142_Retreat for parents of SDBs in Korea

By KOR SC Seoul, Korea, 16 October 2023 -- The retreat for parents of SDBs took place in the provincial house from 16-16 October. The retreat is held once a year in the Salesian community. Fr. Bonaventure Kim, the coordinator of the retreat...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views328 file
    Read More
  6. 6141_Celebrating the young through film

DBGYFF Films inspires reflection. By: Lucy Napitalai and Fr. Ambrose Pereira SDB Port Moresby, PNG 16 October 2023 -- Paradise Cinema in Port Moresby, Saturday, October 14, 2023, had over two hundred people for the screening of the short fi...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views321 file
    Read More
  7. 6140_Lourdes Parish Youth celebrates DBGYFF Screening

By FIS Communications Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, 14 October 2023 -- In solidarity with the conclusion of the Don Bosco Global Youth Film Festival in the heart of world entertainment, Los Angeles, California, the youth of Lo...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views341 file
    Read More
  8. 6139_DBYC Lourdes relaunches Common Formation

By FIS Social Communications Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, 16 October 2023 -- On 14 October, the youth center organized its common formation on the faith for all youth in its sectors of the Salesian Youth Movement, the youth r...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views288 file
    Read More
  9. 6138_Sports heat up Youth Centers

By Subsector on Youth Centers, FIS-CYM Don Bosco Youth Centers, Metro Cebu, Philippines, 16 October 2023 -- The sight of the past two years is nothing short of horrible: empty classrooms, empty gyms, and empty playgrounds. Rebuilding our yo...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views355 file
    Read More
  10. 6137_Quarterly recollection in Hung Yen, Vietnam

By Paul Minh Luan, SDB Vietnam, 16 October 2023 -- On 13 October, the Salesians from four communities in Hanoi and nearby provinces gathered in Hung Yen province for their quarterly recollection. Since September, the Salesians in the North ...
    Date2023.10.16 CategoryVIN Reply0 Views312 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 536 Next
/ 536