PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5262

20191129_VIE.jpg

Heart in Hand Volunteers learn true service among tribal peoples

By Mr. John Ngoc Son
Heart in Hand (HIH) volunteer

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 29 November 2019 -- I’m Ngoc Son, 24 years old. The impression that how friendly and forward the Salesians are, attracts me a lot! These impressions developed my relationship with Don Bosco until now. And the Salesian missionary somehow effects my lifestyle. As a young Catholic, I realise my responsibility in society especially for peers who lack good life conditions. This is the reason that urges me to embark on the voluntary journey. I had served at the remote village – Ban Toong in Lao Cai Province with extremely difficult economy because most of that area is mountains. The road from the town to this village seems a venture ride, one side is the cliff and the other is the abyss. It takes around 2 hours by motorbike and not recommended for heart-attack disease prone people. Moreover, during bad weather, this way is not possible to go and the other way to get to this village is on foot.

There are 30 households and they are ethnic H’mong. The simple national identity remains here. There is no modern equipment because of no electricity, no gas even no clean water but full of warm human relations. The children are simple as they could enjoy their life in their way like hanging around, swimming at streams or singing when they are climbing up the hillside. We struggled with them in communication when trying to explain any academic words. We know that in the short period of time, we cannot help them gain massive knowledge through lessons, but the only thing we believe is through our presence and behaviour, somehow we can be an effect on their perception, helping them to be aware of good manners. We are the young people full of energy and enthusiasm, who spend time to integrate into local life. It seems the perfect way for a missionary volunteer. Giving time, spreading love to others are foremost about service.

What makes you joyful as a volunteer? 

The most incredible joy when I was in the volunteer time is the moment observing the children smiling around me. The children’s smile may be brighter when they seeing a stranger live with them as well as spend time on them without any hesitation.

What was your main challenge as a missionary volunteer?

The biggest challenge which I had to manage is life without electricity. The situation was worse to a municipal boy like me. The only power source relied on the small water generator from in a stream, which always breaks down whenever having heavy rain. I need to learn how to cook the food by myself and know to adjust the fire to prevent my food being burned or not properly enough cooked.

How does the Heart in Hand volunteer experience affect you personally?

This journey impacted me not much, I don’t hope that 1 month to live with the Highland youth could change their life totally but some tiny aspects of their life would be influenced by us. The parents can change their mindset about the educational problem when encouraging their daughters and sons go to school and getting out of the poverty circle. Through that, I am in process to become a better version of myself. I believe that I have the ability to use my knowledge to make impacts on not only for the village where I volunteered but also for my community where I belong to.

What is your message to other youth?

Don Bosco has the greatest passion which I need to learn from. In Don Bosco, I don't feel alone when there are thousands of people who have the same thinking, same doing, being together to give a hand to Don Bosco’s affairs in particular and God’s work in general.

Related news article

AustraLasia 5261 - Volunteer Receiving community learns from the young 

https://www.bosco.link/webzine/53232

20191129_VIE1.jpg

20191129_VIE2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6116_Don Bosco FIS Attends IUS Regional Conference 2023

By CYM correspondence Cebu, 29 September 2023 -- Don Bosco Philippines South Province attended the 3rd Salesian Institutions of Higher Education (IUS) East Asia-Ocenia Regional Conference in Don Bosco Seminary, Parañaque, on Septembe...
    Date2023.09.29 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views433 file
    Read More
  2. 6115_Rainstorm damage to Salesian property in Hong Kong

By SCO (CIN) Hong Kong, China, 28 September 2023 -- Hong Kong was paralyzed by flash flooding after the heaviest rainfall since 1884 on the night of 7 September. Metro stations were submerged with muddy water, and drivers were trapped on th...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views554 file
    Read More
  3. 6114_Don Bosco Volunteer Group Japan in Vietnam

By Fr. Takei Antonio, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 28 September 2023 -- During this past summer vacation, specifically from August 28th to September 11th, our team, known as DBVG (Don Bosco Volunteer Group), comprised of 11 students and workers from J...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views534 file
    Read More
  4. 6113_SDBs in Quinquennium Hold Quarterly Formation

By Br. John Coral, SDB Batulao, Philippines, 28 September 2023 -- The Quinquennial priests, deacons, clerics, and brothers of the Philippine North Province (FIN) had their first formative encounter last September 21 - 23, 2023, in Mary Help...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views394 file
    Read More
  5. 6112_Missionaries from EAO: From Vietnam to Romania and South Africa

By Nguyen Viet Duc and Pham Van Thong Our last two missionaries from EAO this year are from Vietnam. Cl John Baptist Nguyen Viet Duc, from Krong Ana, Dak Lak, is 29 years old. He graduated in electronic communications Engineering. It was th...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views384 file
    Read More
  6. 6111_Missionaries from EAO: From Taiwan to the USA

By Fr. Peter Pong Ping-Fai Fr. Peter Pong Ping-Fai was born in Hong Kong. He had been the Principal and Rector of various communities of his Province (CIN). His last assignment in his Province of origin was as Rector of the Salesian communi...
    Date2023.09.27 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views998 file
    Read More
  7. 6110_Missionaries from EAO to Great Britain: A dream come true

By Cl. Dominic Nguyen Quoc Oat Two young Salesians from Vietnam are sent to Great Britain. Cl. Thomas Nguyen Quang Qui, 30 years old from Kien Giang and Cl. Dominic Nguyen Quoc Oat, 30 years old, is from Dong Nai. Thomas has already a degre...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  8. 6109_WANTOK BOSCO KOKOPO

By Ms. Parscalyn Ipai, DBTSS Pastoral Team Kokopo, PNG, 26 September 2023 -- Don Bosco Technical Secondary School Kokopo (DBTSS) hosted the Wantok Bosco 23, from 22 to 25 September 2023. 260 youth from DBTSS Kokopo, Mary Help of Christians ...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views383 file
    Read More
  9. 6108_Bring Libraries to the People in the Villages

By Fr Peter Duc Nguyen SDB Suva, Fiji 19 September 2023 -- Realizing that people, especially students, have many difficulties in accessing books, the Salesians of Don Bosco opened 6 small libraries for people, especially for students in are...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views218 file
    Read More
  10. 6107_Fiji: Folding Desks for poor students in the Parish

By Fr Peter Duc Nguyen SDB Suva, Fiji 19 September 2023 -- If anyone has visited Fiji, especially families in the villages it is easy to see that their living area is quite small, so it is very difficult to reserve a place for their childre...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views213 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 533 Next
/ 533