austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Pope Francis, the Pope of Mercy, Joy, and Peace

By Mr. Chihiro OKAWA, EXDB

Tokyo, Japan, 27 November 2019 -- The Pastoral Visit of Pope Francis to Japan took place from 23-26 November. The Pope, who was eager to go to the mission in Japan when he was a seminarian, with the authority of Jesus Christ met many people going through difficult times here in Japan and had the opportunity to share and pray together. I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

My SNS is now full of posts of my friends about the Pope’s visit. Yes. We can't help sharing. I have been a Catholic in Japan for more than 10 years, and this visit became the No.1 special opportunity in these 10 years for the small community of the Catholic church in Japan. The heart of believers has burned so much that it has been socially recognized and has sympathized with many people. I am deeply impressed not only by the Pope's great faith in Jesus, but also in a way of life full of mercy and joy, and a strong determination to peace, and I am now in a state where I cannot suppress my impression.

Although the pope is a member of the Jesuits, I have respected the Pope who has a deep connection with the Salesians and is also an alumnus of the Salesian School. As a member of the Salesian family in Japan, I would like to briefly look back on what I felt from his visiting our country.

1) Mercy – faith in Jesus and closeness to those in weak positions

The Pope often stressed the importance of staying close to the people, especially those who are in a weak position always with mercy as a standard of action, based on the current social situation in Japan. That was actually shown through actions at encounters with survivors of the Atomic Bomb in Nagasaki and Hiroshima and the Great East Japan Earthquake, and meetings with young people. At the mass at the Tokyo Dome, the Pope clearly stated the reasons for being close to those people. “Because Jesus hugged a sick man and a sinner and forgave a thief who was crucified.”

Faith is not just sticking to old traditions and forms but living in the same way as Jesus Christ while feeling the living Christ. In other words, we must be aware to be interested in people in weak positions in front of us, to stand close together, listening, sympathizing, and trying to move in a better direction. In Salesian terms, I think he pointed out the importance of “Assistenza”.

I felt that the Pope taught us that Jesus is not far from us through his kindness and standing with people.

The opposite of mercy is to be self-centered, selfish. Therefore, the Pope also says that mercy should extend to nature, a gift from God, and to the entire creation. It made me consider a lot because I witnessed the negative effects of climate change these days in Japan.

2) Joy – love with an open heart, and being loved

The Pope is 82 years old and should be tired from the forced schedule, but he spent the days in Japan, always smiling in front of us, blessing the babies with his kiss, and sometimes with jokes and humor. That grabbed the hearts of many people.

Why does the Pope attract people so much around the world? The keyword is “joy”.

Our founding father Don Bosco was a saint of joy. In the same way, this time I was able to realize that the Pope is a joyful person. This joy never disappears in any difficulty. I think this is what makes the Pope close to us.

One of Don Bosco's famous words is that “It is not enough to love the young, they must know that they are loved”. If a person truly loves the other person, he will be loved. The Pope sent messages during this visit to Japan, not only for Christians but also for those who believed in other religions or those who don’t believe in any religion. He spoke repeatedly about the importance of dialog and collaboration with joy and an open heart, that is, loving while accepting differences. I think he is hoping the Catholic Church and believers in Japan to go beyond the logic of the church, go out into society more and become widely loved.

3) Peace – Preciousness of kindness, prayer, and hope

The Pope visited Nagasaki and Hiroshima, both A-bomb sites. In the two places where he felt obliged to visit, he expressed the passion for the abolition of nuclear weapons and unwavering commitment to peace, calling us all responsible. We were strongly encouraged to recall always past mistakes, to walk together and to take action actually to protect the peace.

In the past, Don Bosco was told by Jesus in his 9-year-old dream that illuminated his life, "Don't swing your fist wildly. With meekness and charity, you will conquer these your friends." Thus, in any case, he denied pressing down people with power and preached the way to be friends with people through kindness, love, and reason.

The Pope then prayed a prayer of St. Francis of Assisi at the Nagasaki meeting. At the gathering in Hiroshima, as a “pilgrim of peace,” he said, “True peace is nothing but unarmed peace.” This is exactly the peace that God wants, also mentioned by the saints of the past, and the peace that we should realize in the midst of people beyond ideology.

It seems that it is not so easy to achieve peace through kindness. We may have doubts, our hearts may be broken, and give up. However, the Pope taught us that instead of making excuses for peace, it is something that should be pursued in a simple and straightforward manner, imagining humans (their sufferings and sorrows). And I realized once again how valuable it is to change our mind, pray as one team, and continue to hope.

My four-year-old eldest son saw Pope Francis this time and said, “I was so touched and almost started to cry. I love Papa!” I hope that I will continue to be close together with the young people as an adult so that the seeds planted through the visit of the Pope to the young and children who will lead the future will grow someday and bloom beautifully.

Pope Francis, the Pope of mercy, joy, and peace, thank you very much for visiting Japan. Thanks be to God for all the blessings we have received through the visit.

By recognizing our responsibilities as Christians, respecting the differences and diversity, and working with all people as friends, may we protect and nurture the light of our heart burned up by the Pope.

And in this way, may the theme of this visit “Protect All Life” be better realized, and may we live a life as a “Good Christians and Upright Citizens” (Strenna 2020).

God of mercy and love, guide us in the right direction. And Mary Help of Christians and St. Francis Xavier, the founding father of Christian mission in Japan, pray for us.

Japanese

教皇フランシスコの日本司牧訪問が11月23日から26日まで行われました。神学生の頃、日本での宣教を熱望したという教皇様は、イエス・キリストの代理者として、ここ日本でハードなスケジュールの中で多くの人々と出会い、共に分かち合い、祈る機会をもってくださいました。心から感謝したいと思います。

今、私のSNSでは友人の教皇訪日に関する投稿があふれています。そうです。分かち合わずにはいられないのです。私がカトリック信者となって10年あまり、日本の小さなカトリック教会の共同体で、これほどまでに信徒の心の火が燃え、それが社会的にも認知されて多くの人の共感を呼んだことはなかったと思います。私自身も教皇様のもつイエスへの厚い信仰はもちろんのこと、いつくしみと喜びに満ちた生き方、平和への強い決意に大いに心をうたれ、感動を抑えることができない状態です。

イエズス会員でありながら、サレジオ会との関わりが深く、サレジオ会学校の同窓生でもあるという私との共通点をおもちの教皇様をかねてより尊敬してきましたが、サレジオ家族の一員として、今回の教皇様の訪日から感じたことを簡単に振り返ってみたいと思います。

① いつくしみ―イエスへの信仰と弱い立場にある人々への寄り添い

教皇様は、現在の日本の社会状況を踏まえながら、いつくしみを常に行動の基準として、人々、とくに弱い立場にある人々に寄り添うことの大切さをたびたび強調されました。そして、被爆者や東日本大震災の被災者との出会い、青年との集いなどで行動を通して実際に示されました。東京ドームでのミサでは、そうした人々に寄り添う理由をはっきりと述べられました。「イエスが、病にある人を抱きしめ、罪人を包み、十字架にかけられた盗人をゆるしたからです」と。

信仰とは、古い伝統や形式にだけ固執することではなく、今、生きているキリストを感じながら、イエス・キリストと同じように生きること。すなわち、目の前にいる弱い立場にある人々に関心をもち、同じ目線に立って寄り添い、耳を傾け共感し、共によりよい方向へと進んでいこうとすることなのだと気づかせてくださいました。サレジオ的な言葉でいえば、「アシステンツァ」(共にいること)の大切さを改めて指摘してくださったということでしょう。

教皇様は、自らが人々のそばにいつくしみをもって立つことを通して、イエスが決して私たちとは遠い存在ではないのだということを教えてくださっているのだと感じることができました。

いつくしみの反対は、自己中心、利己的な人間のあり方です。だから、いつくしみは神様からの贈り物である自然、被造物全体に及ぶべきだとも教皇様はおっしゃいます。気候変動による悪影響を次々と目の当たりにする中で、大いに考えさせられました。

② 喜び―開かれた心で愛し、愛される存在であること

教皇様は82歳と高齢であり、強行日程で疲れもあるはずなのに、私たちの前では常に笑顔をふりまき、赤ちゃんに祝福のキスをし、時に冗談やユーモアも交えながら、この日本での日々を過ごしてくださいました。そして、多くの人の心をつかみました。 教皇様はなぜ世界中で人々の心をこれほどまでにひきつけるのでしょう。そのキーワードは「喜び」ではないでしょうか。

私たちの創立者ドン・ボスコは喜びの聖人でした。同じように、教皇様も喜びにあふれた人だということを今回実感することができました。この喜びは、どんな困難にあったとしても決して消え去ることのないものです。これこそが、教皇様とわたしたちとを親しくつないでくれるものなのではないでしょうか。

ドン・ボスコの有名なことばに「愛するだけでは足りない。愛されていると分かるように愛さなければならない」というものがあります。ある人が相手を心から愛せたとするならば、その人は愛される人になるのです。

教皇様は、キリスト者だけでなく、他の宗教を信じる人々、あるいは宗教を信じない人々、すべての人々を念頭において、今回の訪日でメッセージを発しました。開かれた心で、喜びをもって対話し協力すること、すなわち、違いを受け入れながら愛することの大切さを繰り返し語られました。それは、日本のカトリック教会や信者が教会の中の論理だけにとどまらずに、社会の中に出かけていき、広く愛される存在となることを願ってのことだと思います。

③ 平和―優しさと祈りと希望の尊さ

教皇様は、被爆地である長崎と広島を訪問されました。自らが訪れることを義務と感じていた2つの場所で核廃絶への熱い想いと平和へのゆるぎない決意を表明し、わたしたち皆に責務があると呼びかけ、過去の過ちを思い出し、共に歩みながら、平和を守ることを実際に行動に移すよう力強く促されました。

かつてドン・ボスコは、彼のその後の歩みを決定づけることとなった9歳の夢で「げんこつはいけない。柔和と愛をもって子どもたちの友達となるのだよ」とイエスから語りかけられました。こうして、いかなる場合でも、力によって人を押さえつけることを否定し、優しさと愛、道理によって人々の友となる道を説きました。

そして教皇様は、長崎の集いではアッシジのフランシスコの平和の祈りを唱えました。また、広島の集いでは「平和の巡礼者」として「真の平和とは、非武装の平和以外にありえない」と言い切りました。まさにこれが歴代の聖人たちも言及した神の望む平和であり、イデオロギーを超えて私たちが人々のただ中で実現すべき平和なのです。

優しさを貫き平和を実現することは、そう簡単ではないように思えます。疑問を抱き、心が折れ、あきらめそうになることもあります。しかし、平和に対しあれこれ言い訳するのでなく、人間(の苦しみや悲しみ)を具体的に想像しながら、シンプルに、そしてストレートに追求するべきものなのだということ、また、そして心を改め一つとなって祈ること、希望し続けることがいかに尊いことかを改めて実感することができました。

私の4歳になる長男は、今回教皇フランシスコのお姿を見て、「感動して泣きそうになったよ。パパ様大好き!」と言っています。特に未来を担う若者や子どもたちに教皇様の訪日を通じて植えられた種が、いつか立派に成長し、美しく花咲くように、これからも一人の大人として寄り添っていければと思っています。

いつくしみと喜びと平和のフランシスコ教皇様、日本を訪れてくださり本当にありがとうございました。教皇様を通していただいたすべての恵みに心から感謝いたします。

わたしたちのキリスト者としての責務をよく自覚しながら、違いや多様性を尊重し、すべての人々と友として手を携えていくことによって、今回教皇様に強めていただいた私たちの心のともしびの輝きを、こんどは私たち自身が守り、育てていくことができますように。

そうして、今回の訪日のテーマ「すべてのいのちを守るため」をよりよく実現し、「善きキリスト者、誠実な市民」(2020年サレジオ家族のストレンナ<年間目標>のテーマ)として歩んでいくことができますように。

いつくしみ深く愛である神よ、私たちをよりよくお導きください。キリスト者の助けなる聖マリア、日本宣教の父である聖フランシスコ・ザビエル、私たちのためにお祈りください。

20191127_GIA1.jpg

20191127_GIA2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6116_Don Bosco FIS Attends IUS Regional Conference 2023

By CYM correspondence Cebu, 29 September 2023 -- Don Bosco Philippines South Province attended the 3rd Salesian Institutions of Higher Education (IUS) East Asia-Ocenia Regional Conference in Don Bosco Seminary, Parañaque, on Septembe...
    Date2023.09.29 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views433 file
    Read More
  2. 6115_Rainstorm damage to Salesian property in Hong Kong

By SCO (CIN) Hong Kong, China, 28 September 2023 -- Hong Kong was paralyzed by flash flooding after the heaviest rainfall since 1884 on the night of 7 September. Metro stations were submerged with muddy water, and drivers were trapped on th...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views554 file
    Read More
  3. 6114_Don Bosco Volunteer Group Japan in Vietnam

By Fr. Takei Antonio, SDB Tokyo, Japan, 28 September 2023 -- During this past summer vacation, specifically from August 28th to September 11th, our team, known as DBVG (Don Bosco Volunteer Group), comprised of 11 students and workers from J...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views534 file
    Read More
  4. 6113_SDBs in Quinquennium Hold Quarterly Formation

By Br. John Coral, SDB Batulao, Philippines, 28 September 2023 -- The Quinquennial priests, deacons, clerics, and brothers of the Philippine North Province (FIN) had their first formative encounter last September 21 - 23, 2023, in Mary Help...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views394 file
    Read More
  5. 6112_Missionaries from EAO: From Vietnam to Romania and South Africa

By Nguyen Viet Duc and Pham Van Thong Our last two missionaries from EAO this year are from Vietnam. Cl John Baptist Nguyen Viet Duc, from Krong Ana, Dak Lak, is 29 years old. He graduated in electronic communications Engineering. It was th...
    Date2023.09.28 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views384 file
    Read More
  6. 6111_Missionaries from EAO: From Taiwan to the USA

By Fr. Peter Pong Ping-Fai Fr. Peter Pong Ping-Fai was born in Hong Kong. He had been the Principal and Rector of various communities of his Province (CIN). His last assignment in his Province of origin was as Rector of the Salesian communi...
    Date2023.09.27 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views998 file
    Read More
  7. 6110_Missionaries from EAO to Great Britain: A dream come true

By Cl. Dominic Nguyen Quoc Oat Two young Salesians from Vietnam are sent to Great Britain. Cl. Thomas Nguyen Quang Qui, 30 years old from Kien Giang and Cl. Dominic Nguyen Quoc Oat, 30 years old, is from Dong Nai. Thomas has already a degre...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views323 file
    Read More
  8. 6109_WANTOK BOSCO KOKOPO

By Ms. Parscalyn Ipai, DBTSS Pastoral Team Kokopo, PNG, 26 September 2023 -- Don Bosco Technical Secondary School Kokopo (DBTSS) hosted the Wantok Bosco 23, from 22 to 25 September 2023. 260 youth from DBTSS Kokopo, Mary Help of Christians ...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views383 file
    Read More
  9. 6108_Bring Libraries to the People in the Villages

By Fr Peter Duc Nguyen SDB Suva, Fiji 19 September 2023 -- Realizing that people, especially students, have many difficulties in accessing books, the Salesians of Don Bosco opened 6 small libraries for people, especially for students in are...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views218 file
    Read More
  10. 6107_Fiji: Folding Desks for poor students in the Parish

By Fr Peter Duc Nguyen SDB Suva, Fiji 19 September 2023 -- If anyone has visited Fiji, especially families in the villages it is easy to see that their living area is quite small, so it is very difficult to reserve a place for their childre...
    Date2023.09.26 CategoryPac. Reply0 Views213 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... 533 Next
/ 533