GIA

3818_Future of the Catholic Church in Japan is bright!

by ceteratolle posted Nov 27, 2015
?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20151127_GIA.jpg

Interview with Bishop Francis Xavier Mizobe Osamu, SDB

By Fr. Vaclav Klement, SDB

Kyoto, Japan, November 24, 2015 - Since his appointment as a diocesan bishop in 2000 former Salesian provincial of Japan Francis Xavier Osamu MIZOBE offered the best of his Salesian experience to the Japan Church in the Diocese of Sendai (2000-2004) and then in the Diocese Takamatsu (2004-2011). Also after reaching 75 years of age Mons. Mizobe dedicates his life to the young adults in the Kyoto diocese (Nishijin Parish) taking care about a ‘Boyoan’ young people spiritual center ‘Boyoan’. Since last May 2015 our Salesian bishop became one of the senior confreres who contribute to the Salesian mission also with offering of their sickness for the salvation of souls. This short interview in Kyoto was given just after another cycle of chemotherapy that will last until next March 2016.

What is your present Salesian apostolate in Kyoto?

I’m happy to dedicate the autumn of my life for the young people. After the start of this spiritual – vocation center many young people send by their friends or found through the internet came here for deepening of their faith experience (monthly recollection, annual spiritual retreats, Bible study or spiritual guidance). I’m helped by the presence of three Caritas Sisters of Jesus and many other lay supporters of this Center.

Some are saying - this apostolate is possible only thanks to special charism of Mons. Mizobe?

I don’t think so. It’s about Salesian Charism. When Salesians just work and work for their whole life and then just retire in their own room, sometimes their Salesian mission is over. You need just to be with the young or young adults. Probably the young Salesians need to know personally the Salesian Youth Spirituality – not just from books but also at the practical experiential level. It does include praying together with the young people, forming them as the youth apostles and offering some strong experience of volunteer life – for example short immersion in developing country like in Timor Leste.

What are the fruits of your work here in Kyoto?

For example there are eight young adults, mainly young men, taking a vocation discernment journey with their regular spiritual guidance and common prayer. Most of them are students of the prestigious Kyoto University. Also there are some non-Christians who are being prepared as catechumens for their baptism, also for next Easter 2016.

How do you keep in touch with the Salesian confreres of Japan?

I’m happy and grateful to the present provincial of Japan, Fr. Mario, for the ongoing effort to translate all current Salesian news and materials in Japanese, and share it through the social media. So I’m able to keep in touch. Having now more time for prayer and reflection, I’m also preparing my personal contribution to the 2016 Provincial Chapter. Living in the diocesan environment I feel more the precious gift of the Salesian Charism to the Church. Also the diocesan clergy is coming here for guidance and recollections. Many of them are rather weak in their priestly spirituality, they are involved in many social issues, but not so passionate in their pastoral work in their parishes.

What do you learn from the young people in Kyoto?

Among the youngsters coming to Boyoan center are 50% Kyoto University students, the Japan student elite. They are asking for the Bible study, looking for something more than just a social successful life. They search for their deeper life meaning. Catholics are sending to our Center some young adults – men or women - and I’m involved in their spiritual journey. There is a good environment and good spirit. Young people are eager to take responsibility in serving other youngsters, even taking charge of diocesan recollection for other youth! They just need to be trusted.

Do you have any message to the Salesians?

I’m proud of our young Salesians with great capacity in music, sports and youth ministry. They are attracting and accompanying many young people. In our times it was not like this, we were working as a group together. On the other side I believe the Salesians in Japan could trust more the young and the lay mission partners. For example the eight young people who are in charge of this spiritual center are doing a marvelous job, even when I was already hospitalized. As a Salesian province we could work more with them at the level of administration and youth ministry. The key to the success is to understand the lay spirituality. In the past the Salesians did everything, now we are able to be the animators and formators of the lay mission partners like during many of the DB200 Jubilee Year events.

How do you envision the future of the Salesian Congregation?

I’m happy with the present move of the Congregation and I trust in the bright future. What I can help, I will do. It was always my basic attitude. Like Monsignor Cimatti I would always encourage others. In spite of all weakness he always believed in us, trusted us and never discouraged .Yes, in Mons. Cimatti we have a great treasure! Only now I understand his holiness, now I start to understand his holiness. I’m proud to be one of his disciples.

20151127_GIA1.jpg

20151127_GIA2.jpg

20151127_GIA3.jpg

20151127_GIA4.jpg

20151127_GIA5.jpg