austraLasia

?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment

Fr. Peter Porio, SDB in  Don Bosco Tainan, Taiwan

By Fr. John Baptist Zen, SDB

Tainan, Taiwan, 6 February 2016 - Dear friends in Christ and in Don Bosco. Many thanks for your message prompted by love and concern.

This morning our dear Rector, Fr. Matthew, and other Salesians, as scheduled, went to take part in a great re-union of Consecrated persons organized by the Diocese of Tainan and the Religious Congregations of Men and Women living in the Diocese of Tainan.

Early in the morning or in the deep night, at 03:57 a great earthquake took place: the epicenter is in a mountain town only some 40-50kms away from the city of Tainan, therefore also from our Salesian Technical School and our Mary Help of Christians Parish.

The Salesian quarter is on the fourth floor of a school building, built in 1968; some confreres live in an older wing built in 1964. In this school year exceptionally 13 Salesians live here; out of the group, four young Salesians hailing from Italy, Africa and Vietnam, are here studying the beautiful Chinese language. Providentially they went to Hong Kong the other day; so they missed the experience of a strong earthquake.

Awaken by the heavy tremor, we all got up, first thing to discover is the mess in our own rooms, with books, notes, pictures some souvenir or religious articles scattered on the floor. When I arrived at the main hall, I discovered the statues of Mary Help of Christians, of Our Lady of Vietnam, of St Joseph, with heads and arms broken and, excuse me for the expression, with the sacred heads detached from the bodies. The Statue of Our Lady of Zo-se' (or She-shan) resisted the shock and remain intact, because is made of bronze!!!

I am tempted to say; OUR LADY, VIRGO POTENS, IS MORE POWERFUL THAN THE SATAN, GUISED IN THE FORM OF AN EARTHQUAKE. (This is good lesson for our faith!). The wooden stand of a Crucifix is broken, the painting of St. Dominic Savio, one meter long, is peacefully laying on the ground; the picture of St. Mary Mazzarello and Sts. Versiglia and Caravario remain untroubled, as their size is smaller and lighter!

The missionary from Vietnam put the statue of O.L. M.H.C, somehow removed for a few inches, back to her throne. The solid Tabernacle remains unshaken. Some pictures of our deceased confreres who have lived and worked in Taiwan, particularly in Tainan, fell in the turmoil and have been put back by that same priest from Vietnam.

In the dining room, almost everything is okay, even some "panettone" left over since Christmas time remain undisturbed on top of the cupboard. Haha!

Outside, on the veranda, The Rector, Fr. Matthew and the economer, Fr. Andrew, together with the "factotum" of the school who lives not far away from the school, called by emergency and rushed to out school, are busy to stop the water running out from the broken pipes.

May I stop here to describe all what happened in the school compound which is 40,000 square meters large. Any way the earthquake did not harm our four basket courts, two volleyball courts and our lawn football campus.

The 6-meters tall Statue of Jesus Saviour on the roof of the new 6-floor building is well safe, as inside there is an iron skeleton. He looks after all our School. Sorry, I did not yet check the smaller, only one meter tall, statue of St. Joseph the Worker, Patron of this Professional and Technical, on the top of the oldest building. I suppose he must look after himself and also all his children below.

What about our parish? While we were checking our quarters, the parish priest, hailing from Vietnam, rushed to the parish building, just cross the Yu-nung Road. As he reported us this morning at the breakfast time, he found something similar to our situation, namely the holy statues on the floor with broken arms and heads.

One thing could be considered as a fortune or a misfortune. Let me explain. The parish church, capable of some 120 persons on the ground floor of a two-floors building, with a third floor later illegally added, was built in 1966, exactly 50 years ago. To be honest, it is sufficiently strong and safe, but certainly not up to the infinite dignity of the Almighty God.

For several years it is hoped in several circles to build a new Church, stronger and more decent place to honour God and the Saints. Due to several reasons, our good Superiors did not yet make that decision. So someone, including the poor undersigned wished that some night, while nobody is inside the church building, it collapse in the middles of an earthquake. Unfortunately, in this respects, the church building is still on the ground, though the statues are laying on the floor.

Hopefully some of our good superiors come to visit us in such a difficult moment. In the mean time let us pray. While I write these lines on behalf of the Rector absent for a solemn religious service, ambulance cars are sounding and running outside the school building.

One more report from Fr. Peter Porio, SDB

February 6, 2016 at 3:57 a.m., I was awaken by the 6.4 magnitude earthquake shaking the 4 storey building. I jumped out of bed and run outside my room to see if anything destroyed. I saw the water-pipe broken with much water flowing out. After some minutes the all the salesians came out.

At our morning Mass, we thank the Lord for keeping us all safe and sound.

After breakfast, we inspected the school and the parish. Everything was alright. That's why we see Fr. Matthew li Min Tri smiling in front of the school. Praise God.. God is good all the time.

20160206_CIN1.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )
  • BBC WORLD News

_88135337_38f00098-d29d-4e9f-88a0-e7707112ca36.jpg

Tainan

_88133934_88133790.jpg

Taiwan

_88133785_88133784.jpg

• vaclav 2016.02.11 01:39

Feb 10 - new update

The latest news that we received is as we have known that we have found one family of our students who are hit by the disaster. They are three blood brothers and sister who are studying in our school as the third, second and first year. the youngest one was died yesterday after finding her in the mess, while the second still missing... The eldest brother also found still alive but upto now still in the ICU of the Cheng-kung Hospital. And tonight, we received the sad news that the second brother also found out already rest in peace in the mess (probably already dead on that very day, but could not recognized by anyone). What a pity. Let's pray for their eternal rest and may God give their family great condolences.
    During these days, the ambulances work almost day and night and our Tainan Diocese also set up a station at the spot to aid and assist those who are in need. 
    We are all now still living without water supply. The earliest for this might be on Wednesday, if not, maybe upto next Sunday.
    May the Good Lord protect his people, especially those who are most in need now in Tainan.
    If there is any further news, I will try my best to update, or at least, I will ask help from our Rev. Fr. John Zen.
    United in Jesus Christ - the Merciful One.

1. 5338(II)_New General Councillor for the EAO Region - Fr Joseph Phuoc

ALA_5338 Two EAO Salesians among the 14 General Council members By our own correspondent Valdocco, Turin, 14 March 2020 -- The General Chapter 28 officially concluded yesterday, 13 March 2020 after four weeks of hard work, joyful fraternity...
    Date2020.03.15 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1014 file
    Read More
  2. 5338(I)_Goodnight Talks: East Asia-Oceania 2014—2020

ALA_5338 Farewell with a collection of Goodnights 2014-2020 By our own correspondent EAO Region, 14 March 2020 -- Since April 2014 we have been accustomed to monthly 'Goodnights' shared by the EAO regional councillor online (email) and post...
    Date2020.03.14 CategoryEAO Reply2 Views747 file
    Read More
  3. 5337(II)_Creative Ministry of Salesian Cooperators in Dili - Tiimor Leste

ALA_5337 By Ms. Maria Isabel Alda Da Silva Dili ASC Centre (Association of Salesian Cooperators), Timor Leste, 14 March 2020 -- The Association of Salesian Cooperators (ASC), in Dili, Timor-Leste, organises a routine weekend activity for th...
    Date2020.03.13 CategoryASC Reply0 Views595 file
    Read More
  4. 5337(I)_Cambodia - Self-sustainability project in Sihanoukville

ALA_5337 By Don Bosco Sihanoukville Community Cambodia delegation THA province Sihanoukville, Cambodia, 14 march 2020 -- Our community give thanks to Heaven for the self-sustainability project of the shops being built in front of our Don Bo...
    Date2020.03.13 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views899 file
    Read More
  5. 5336(II)_"Two priests helped them turn out who they are now"

ALA_5336 Not only an ecological hot spot but care of young people too By FIS Social Communication Mati, Davao Oriental, the Philippines, 11 March 2020 -- At around 10:30 in the evening, the shores of Dahican in Mati, Davao Oriental are bath...
    Date2020.03.12 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views638 file
    Read More
  6. 5336(I)_Faithful Servant - welcome to the house of the Father

ALA_5336 Joyful and faithful disciple of Jesus - Br. Paolino LIN By Province provincial secretary China Province, 11 March 2020 -- Salesian Brother Paul (Paolino) LIN Yin-nien was born in Shanghai on 16 July 1928 and made his first professi...
    Date2020.03.12 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views909 file
    Read More
  7. 5335(II)_How are we facing up to COVID-19 in our Region?

ALA_5335 By our own correspondent EAO Region, 10 March 2020 -- Since January, the Coronavirus (Covid-19) has been making the headlines in all possible media around the world. Indeed worldwide there are only 75 countries (including Myanmar) ...
    Date2020.03.11 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1158 file
    Read More
  8. 5335(I)_Welcome to the Sandor Community 2020!

ALA_5335 By our own correspondent Parañaque, Manila, The Philippines, 10 March 2020 -- There are only four such Salesian communities around the world - Guatemala, Spain-Barcelona, Yaounde-Cameron and Paranaque-Philipines - for the specific ...
    Date2020.03.11 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1017 file
    Read More
  9. 5334(IV)_Re-imagining Don Bosco

ALA_5334 Annual spiritual retreat for Salesians of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos By SC THA Hua Hin, Thailand - March 2020 -- From 1 to 7 and from 8 to 14 March, the Salesians of the Province of Thailand, Cambodia and Laos (THA) have gathered ...
    Date2020.03.09 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1038 file
    Read More
  10. 5334(III)_PNG: Media seminar highlights importance of environment

ALA_5334 By Abigail Seta DBTI, Port Moresby PNG, 9 March 2020 -- Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko; Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu and Caritas Technical Secondary School, Boroko participated at the Media Seminar for nine Catholi...
    Date2020.03.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views494 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 ... 536 Next
/ 536