A new year 2019 in the EAO region
EAO, 1 January 2019 -- Meanwhile we celebrate the year 2019 (Anno Domini – AD), the Buddhist Calendar writes year 2562, the Islamic Calendar year 1439, the Chinese calendar 4715, the Korean calendar 4351, the Javanese calendar 1951 and in the East Asia region this year is celebrated as the ‘Pig Year’ – Lunar New Year on February 5, 2019.
The United Nations has not declared the 2019 as the ‘International Year of Indigenous Languages’. The Catholic Church is following the 2018 Synod of Bishops on the “Young people: 'Youth, Faith and Vocation Discernment”. As every New Year timetable also AD 2019 offers in the Congregation many occasions for common growth of the Salesian Charism thanks to the dynamics of mutual sharing and exchange. The 2019 Strenna of the Rector Major ‘Holiness, for you too!’ invite us to focus in our life on the essentials in the communion of 170+ outstanding members of the Salesian Family – our Saint, Blesseds, Venerables and Servants of God. Probably the strongest impact will come on the journey towards the General Chapter 28, with the theme ‘What kind of Salesians for the young people of today?’ All EAO provinces celebrate their PC (Provincial Chapter) 2019 between January and June.
We are glad to welcome again the Rector Major in our Region, this time in the EAO mother province of Mary Help of Christians (China - Hong Kong) next August 9 -18. This is the last visit of the 10th successor of Don Bosco in our region before the GC28 in February 2020.
This year offers also a good chance for encounter with all five General Councilor for the sectors:
- Feb 10-15: THA, Sampran-FMA (EAO Salesian History seminar, with Fr. Václav & Fr. Motto)
- Mar 4-8: KOR, Seoul (EAO Provincials with Fr. Ivo and Fr. Fabio)
- Mar 4-6: PGS, Port Moresby (EAO Provincial Economers with Br. Jean Paul Muller)
- Nov 12-15: TLS, Dili (EAO YM & Missions delegates with Fr. Fabio & Fr. Guillermo)
- Nov 15-18: CIN, Hong Kong (EAO Formation & SC delegates with Fr. Ivo & Fr. Filiberto)
One last province in this 6 years will benefit from the animation of Extraordinary Visitation:
- Jan 20 – April 25: FIS province (Philippines South, Cebu - Pakistan)
There are precious ongoing formation occasions for specific groups of confreres:
- Jan 10-13: Torino (RMG) – 37th Salesian Family Spirituality Days with Rector Major
- an 16-19: Rome (RMG) – World meeting of Salesian Mission Office directors
- Apr 10-14: Rome (RMG) – World Consulta for marginalized youth
- May 1-7: Rome (RMG) – New Provincial Economers Course (AUL and INA)
- May 6-18: Torino (RMG) – Youth Ministry delegate school
- May 8-29: Manila, Batulao (FIN) Salesianity teachers course – SDB and Lay people (III)
- May 24-27: Sihanoukville, Cambodia (THA) Salesian Cooperators Formation of Formators
- May 25-29: Rome (RMG) Salesian Bulletin Director meeting – world level
- June 11-24: Rome (RMG) – New Provincials course (CIN, GIA, INA and KOR)
- Aug 22: Parañaque (FIN) Curatorium & Aug 21: Manila (FIN) Canlubang-Lawaan Curatorium
- Aug 23: Manila (FIN) EAO Sector Coordinators meeting with regional councilor (IV)
- Sep 3-29: Rome – Torino: New missionary course + 150th missionary expedition
- Sept 17-22: Rome (RMG) Salesian family delegates (worldwide – English, Sept 10-15 Italian)
- Sep 23-30: Valdocco – Torino: Mid-term provincial meet (TLS)
- Nov 13-16: Hong Kong (CIN) – EAO Formation of formators
Happy and Joyful New Year 2019!