NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
FIN
2019.07.14 05:32

5138_My life as a translator

Views 576 Comment 0

20190714_FIN.jpg

By Agnes P., VDB

Manila, the Philippines, 12 July 2019 -- Salesiana Publishers came out with the Don Bosco comics entitled “Johnny,” consisting of six issues on the life and times of Don Bosco. This was followed by the comics on Dominic Savio entitled “Saint at fifteen.” I saw these publications as helpful tools for the catechetical work we are doing in our little oratory in our non-Salesian parish. However, I thought that it would be better if these were in Tagalog. I broached the idea with Fr. Jose Reinoso, who said in reply: “Why don’t you do it yourself?” I took thiss as a challenge. Right after the cataract (February 2003) I undertook the translation of the comics into Tagalog. I presented the finished work with the hope of getting it published. Unfortunately, I was told that it was not possible due to copyright issues. It did not stop me from sharing the work with other catechists who were interested in it. We had to manage with photocopies of what I made.

My journey into Italian-English translation also came as a challenge that I imposed on myself.

During our formation years in the VDB Institute, our Ecclesiastical Assistant, Fr Lazaro Revilla, SDB, encouraged us to study Italian. He gave us basic Italian lessons during the weekends when we had our meetings. It was not really much but was enough to whet my appetite for the language.

In August 1989, I was the ex-officio representative of FILA in our 3rd General Assembly held in Frascati. Since I was then the Regional President, I had to make my rendiconto to our President General Gianna Martinelli. To do that, I had a translator. During that encounter, I jokingly told Gianna that the next time I have to make my rendiconto, I will do it without a translator. I turned serious and enrolled in the Italian language sessions offered by the Phil-Italian Association under the auspices of the Italian Embassy. I studied the rudiments but could not go into advanced studies due to my work in the bank and studies at the Don Bosco Center of Studies, Course on Lay Spirituality.

The scarcity of English formation materials for our Secular Institute in the face of numerous materials in Italian posed a challenge for me. I started translating some simple articles from the hard copies of Crescere [=Formation magazine of the Volunteers of Don Bosco] that we were getting from time to time. Word about the work I was doing reached Paolina Yip and she requested me to translate a copy of Crescere that she brought when she came to the Philippines for the first time.

My work expanded when our Center started to send me via e-mail the issues of Crescere. Later, I received the requests to send copies to other English speaking VDBs.

I was also able to translate the Directory and the Commentary on our Constitutions as a result of a need in our Region. Other formation materials had to be translated. These include the Guide to our traveling Retreat in Turin in 2016, Volume II of the Formation Aids, Basic Document of GA 7 and GA 8, Regulation of GA 8 and the book of Fr. Pier Luigi Cameroni, “Don Rinaldi.” At present, I help translate communications from the Center.

In the course of the years, I have accumulated two big Italian-English Dictionaries, numerous small ones, a book of Italian Idioms and other related books. I also have other dictionaries: English, Spanish and Latin. I had been looking for someone who would have the time to review my work but have not found one who could do it.

Despite the work I had been doing, I still cannot speak the language fluently. I need further studies and practice. To translate from English to Italian, I have to seek the help of the computer. There is really a great need for me to study further and practice more. Exposure to the language is quite important. However, I never had the opportunity for this, except during the times when I traveled to Italy for our General Assemblies, pilgrimages, and once, in 1996, on a research trip sponsored by the bank that I worked for."

NB - For many groups of the (Lay) Salesian Family in our Region, the ministry of translation is a life issue. Since the majority of their members are familiar mostly with the local languages, the task of keeping in touch with their charismatic roots and their present world leadership and animation is really extremely important. Our prayers for the upcoming 2nd EAO Salesian Translators Workshop in Myanmar.

Related materials:

Related news:

20190714_FIN1.jpg

20190714_FIN2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6366_The 7th Provincial Chapter of Myanmar has begun today!

By A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 10 April 2024 -- The 7th Provincial Chapter of Myanmar Vice-Province, under the leadership of the superior Fr. Bosco Nyi Nyi, SDB, has officially begun on 10 April at 9:00 A.M. local time, at the Do...
    Date2024.04.11 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views100 file
    Read More
  2. 6365_The Annual Retreat for Salesian Aspirants

By Don Bosco SYM - Vietnam HCM, Vietnam, 11 April 2024 -- On the morning of April 7, 2024, Salesian Youth Ministry Vietnam organized a retreat day for Salesian Aspirants at the Provincial House, Thu Duc, HCM City. Attending the program was ...
    Date2024.04.11 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views93 file
    Read More
  3. 6364_Easter Blessings

By Fr. Sevrin Mite, SDB Blitar and Sumba Indonesia, 10 April 2024 – During the Easter Octave, the St Yusuf Catholic Vocational Technical School in Blitar and St. John Bosco Vocational Technical School in Sumba family held the Easter C...
    Date2024.04.10 CategoryINA Reply0 Views64 file
    Read More
  4. 6363_Promoting Sustainable Integral Human Development

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions 'Development' is a term that has several implications. NGOs, foundations, and countless organizations are involved in development projects. Development models that are mere...
    Date2024.04.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views58 file
    Read More
  5. 6362_Extraordinary Visitation to Korea Province Begins

By Soccom Korea Seoul, Korea, 8 April 2024 -- The Korean Province has begun the Extraordinary Visitation by the EAO Regional, Fr Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc, from today through to 6 June. During his visit, Fr. Joseph will visit all the commun...
    Date2024.04.09 CategoryKOR Reply0 Views62 file
    Read More
  6. 6361_Blue-White Champion's League 2024

By SC THA Hua Hin, Thailand, 8 April 2024 -- The Past Pupils Association of Hua Hin Vitthayalai School organized the "Blue-White Champion's League 2024" football competition. 16 teams from various batches competed. Fr. John Bosco Dhepar...
    Date2024.04.08 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views79 file
    Read More
  7. 6360_A new page for China Province

By Fr. Anthony Pun SDB Hong Kong, 7 April 2024 -- “This is the day that the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.” This verse of Psalm 118 recurs in our Easter prayer. And it has come true in the Salesian Province of...
    Date2024.04.07 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views108 file
    Read More
  8. 6359_Funeral Mass of Father Joseph Nguyen Van Quang

Former Provincial of the Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam By VIE SocCom Thu Duc, HCM Vietnam, 6 April 2024 -- At 8:30 a.m., April 5, 2024, the Funeral Mass of Father Joseph Nguyen Van Quang, former Provincial of the Salesian Province ...
    Date2024.04.06 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views77 file
    Read More
  9. 6358_Easter Sunday Takjil

By Bro. Umbu Dapa Loka Jakarta, Indonesia, 5 April 2024 -- This month is the month of Ramadan for the Muslims. Observing Ramadan involves fasting from dawn until sunset and refraining from food, drink, and other physical needs. However, it ...
    Date2024.04.05 CategoryINA Reply0 Views46 file
    Read More
  10. 6357_Conclusions of the Extraordinary Visitation of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB

By TLS SocCom Comoro-Dili, Timor-Leste, 5 April 2024 -- On April 3, 2024, the Extraordinary Visitation of Fr Joseph Phuoc, SDB, finally came to an end after spending 43 days (Feb 20 - April 3, 2024) in the Vice-Province of Timor-Leste. On b...
    Date2024.04.05 CategoryTLS Reply0 Views71 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 536 Next
/ 536