?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
20190131_EAO.jpg

For the AustraLasia 5000

By A long-time reader of, contributor to aLa

EAO, 31 January 2019 -- Today, on a feast day so cherished by Salesians, the wider Salesian Family, and countless 'friends' of Don Bosco, this writer also notices that one twenty-two-year-old friend (called austraLasia) is about to register its 5,000th edition since November 7, 1997. So, first of all, a word or two on this friendship:

• Not all good friends stand by you through your joys and sorrows, but you have always been there for me. Thank you.

• You have been a friend who has given me a thousand other friends. Nothing makes our region so spacious as having all these friends at a distance. Thank you.

• You are up to 5,000 editions, 1,000,000 or more 'hits' since you went truly digital (you were merely a random email 22 years ago!), but what are numbers, after all? Since social media came to the scene (hardly thought of 22 years ago), the superficiality of numbers has been even more apparent. What are '10,000 followers, likes, dislikes etc.', when it's all said and done? But, if numbers are important at all, I'd like to think of 10,000 as a good one. I've done my share of contributing to your 'life', and since it takes me hours to write something, I am sure I've put more than ten thousand hours into you. They say it takes a minimum of ten thousand hours before you achieve real mastery of anything. Could anyone count the number of hours your editors and contributors have put into your success as a communication tool? Probably not, but my thanks to all of them too.

• A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future. You have been a connection to the life of the EAO region now for 22 years - that makes you a tie to the past, and I thank you for that. Will you be a road to the future? That depends on all of us, and maybe it is now time to involve the region beyond just a handful of correspondents. You are about Don Bosco's expansive spirit, community, good news, quality communication, formation, connections, connections, connections! The world has moved on in twenty-two years, the Region has too, in its sense of organization but also in its sense of Salesian Family, of interchange and exchange between its members, its circumscriptions, and young people too, who know no boundaries of the kind we normally set for ourselves. It is time for a regional communications plan and people to manage it, where you, my good friend, are a key player for intercommunication at every level. I thank you in anticipation, and know that I will still be there to read, write, help.

• You have been a formator! Yes, really! We normally think of formators as people, but I am addressing you as a person because that is how you have been a friend for me, and a friend who has helped form me and I imagine many others too. As our current Rector Major, Fr Ángel F. Artime says, writing about you and encouraging you to continue doing what you do so well: 'Never forget our Salesian identity in the way we see and judge, as Don Bosco did, always as the educator, seeing things from God's point of view.' When you do that, you are a formator. Thank you!

----------

And just one final thought, though this comes from someone we all know very well. Here is what he has to say that I believe speaks directly to austraLasia, Bosco.Link: "We sense the challenge of finding and sharing a 'mystique' of living together, of mingling and encounter, of embracing and supporting one another, of stepping into this flood tide which, while chaotic, can become a genuine experience of fraternity, a caravan of solidarity, a sacred pilgrimage (Italics are mine; the words, though, are from Pope Francis, EG no. 87). AustraLasia Bosco.Link as an experience ... caravan ... pilgrimage. I like it!

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5396(I)_DBTS Port Moresby Trio Celebrations: Salesian Mission Day, Community Day and Intramural Games

ALA_5396 By Ms Leonie Jimal and Cl. Francis Mallol, SDB Don Bosco Technical School Gabutu – Port Moresby 5 June 2020 -- The Salesian Vice-Province of Blessed Philip Rinaldi (Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands - PGS) celebrates the Salesi...
    Date2020.06.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views612 file
    Read More
  2. 5395(III)_Br. Nguyen Duc Nam (Dominic) appointed as World Delegate for the Past Pupils of Don Bosco and the Association of Salesian Cooperators

ALA_5395 RMG, Rome, 6 June 2020 -- Through the Press Release by the ANS (Salesian News Agency) the Rector Major, Fr. Angel F. Artime announced on 5 June 2020 the new world level delegates for the main lay groups of the Salesian Family: Fr....
    Date2020.06.06 CategoryRMG Reply2 Views1172 file
    Read More
  3. 5395(II)_DBTI Port Moresby observes World Environment Day

ALA_5395 By Sean DOLLA East Boroko, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, 4 June 2020 -- As their seniors were sitting the semester 1 exams, the 1st and 2nd year students of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko, along with staff members, ga...
    Date2020.06.06 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views12284 file
    Read More
  4. 5395(I)_A beautiful, transparent, joyful, intelligent Salesian figure

ALA_5395 Fr. Maraccani (1936-2020) By Fr. Francesco Cereda Sacro Cuore, Rome, June 2020 -- Four months after former Secretary and Procurator General of the Salesian Congregation, Fr. Francesco Maraccani (1936-2020), passed away, we have in...
    Date2020.06.06 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views4301 file
    Read More
  5. 5394_How are we preparing for the 150th Birthday of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco?

ALA_5394 By our own correspondent Valdocco, Turin, 4 June 2020 -- We are about to celebrate the 150th Birthday of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco on 24 June 2020. On that day in 1870 one of the first Valdocco Oratory Boys, Carlo Gastini with ...
    Date2020.06.04 CategoryEXDB Reply1 Views2794 file
    Read More
  6. 5393(II)_Follow up of Pentecost retreat online - SYM Philippines

ALA_5393 Manila - Philippines, 1 June 2020 -- Interview with Fr Juvenal Samia SDB, Salesian Youth Movement How did you come up with the idea of LIT? The SYM Council started the online ministry with "#GOTChu: SYM Online Kamustahan Series....
    Date2020.06.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views711 file
    Read More
  7. 5393(I)_Easter spirituality of the Volunteers With Don Bosco (CDB)

ALA_5393 Sharing of Faith during Pandemic Time - CDB of Manila By Fr. Eli Cruz Assistant CDB (Con Don Bosco) secular institute Manila, Philippines, 2 June 2020 -- Since 2014, the few members of the CDB Center (Group) in Manila, Philippines...
    Date2020.06.02 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views602 file
    Read More
  8. 5392(II)_ADMA taking shape in Kumgi PNG

ALA_5392 By Fr. Savio Angelo Sanchez, SDB Kumgi, Papua New Guinea, May 2020 -- From a group of about 20 devotees of Mary Mary, the ADMA (Association Devoted to Mary Help of Christians) in Kumgi is now slowly taking shape. Sr Alice George, ...
    Date2020.06.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views4692 file
    Read More
  9. 5392(I)_What difference do missionary volunteers make?

ALA_5392 By Fr Arun Michael Charles, Missionary animation delegate for Cambodia Don Bosco Technical School, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 31 May 2020 -- Don Bosco Phnom Penh community has received many volunteers from a variety of countries and co...
    Date2020.06.01 CategoryCamb. Reply0 Views900 file
    Read More
  10. 5391(II)_“Teach Me To Do Your Will” (Ps 143, 10)

ALA_5386 Ordination to the Diaconate of Five Clerics of the Vietnam Province By Br. John Phuoc, SDB Don Bosco Xuan Hiep Church, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 30 May 2020 -- At 6:30 a.m. on Saturday May 30, the Bishop of Bac Ninh Diocese, Jesu...
    Date2020.05.30 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views628 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 ... 537 Next
/ 537