?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
20190131_EAO.jpg

For the AustraLasia 5000

By A long-time reader of, contributor to aLa

EAO, 31 January 2019 -- Today, on a feast day so cherished by Salesians, the wider Salesian Family, and countless 'friends' of Don Bosco, this writer also notices that one twenty-two-year-old friend (called austraLasia) is about to register its 5,000th edition since November 7, 1997. So, first of all, a word or two on this friendship:

• Not all good friends stand by you through your joys and sorrows, but you have always been there for me. Thank you.

• You have been a friend who has given me a thousand other friends. Nothing makes our region so spacious as having all these friends at a distance. Thank you.

• You are up to 5,000 editions, 1,000,000 or more 'hits' since you went truly digital (you were merely a random email 22 years ago!), but what are numbers, after all? Since social media came to the scene (hardly thought of 22 years ago), the superficiality of numbers has been even more apparent. What are '10,000 followers, likes, dislikes etc.', when it's all said and done? But, if numbers are important at all, I'd like to think of 10,000 as a good one. I've done my share of contributing to your 'life', and since it takes me hours to write something, I am sure I've put more than ten thousand hours into you. They say it takes a minimum of ten thousand hours before you achieve real mastery of anything. Could anyone count the number of hours your editors and contributors have put into your success as a communication tool? Probably not, but my thanks to all of them too.

• A good friend is a connection to life - a tie to the past, a road to the future. You have been a connection to the life of the EAO region now for 22 years - that makes you a tie to the past, and I thank you for that. Will you be a road to the future? That depends on all of us, and maybe it is now time to involve the region beyond just a handful of correspondents. You are about Don Bosco's expansive spirit, community, good news, quality communication, formation, connections, connections, connections! The world has moved on in twenty-two years, the Region has too, in its sense of organization but also in its sense of Salesian Family, of interchange and exchange between its members, its circumscriptions, and young people too, who know no boundaries of the kind we normally set for ourselves. It is time for a regional communications plan and people to manage it, where you, my good friend, are a key player for intercommunication at every level. I thank you in anticipation, and know that I will still be there to read, write, help.

• You have been a formator! Yes, really! We normally think of formators as people, but I am addressing you as a person because that is how you have been a friend for me, and a friend who has helped form me and I imagine many others too. As our current Rector Major, Fr Ángel F. Artime says, writing about you and encouraging you to continue doing what you do so well: 'Never forget our Salesian identity in the way we see and judge, as Don Bosco did, always as the educator, seeing things from God's point of view.' When you do that, you are a formator. Thank you!

----------

And just one final thought, though this comes from someone we all know very well. Here is what he has to say that I believe speaks directly to austraLasia, Bosco.Link: "We sense the challenge of finding and sharing a 'mystique' of living together, of mingling and encounter, of embracing and supporting one another, of stepping into this flood tide which, while chaotic, can become a genuine experience of fraternity, a caravan of solidarity, a sacred pilgrimage (Italics are mine; the words, though, are from Pope Francis, EG no. 87). AustraLasia Bosco.Link as an experience ... caravan ... pilgrimage. I like it!

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5400(II)_Macau, Instituto Salesiano starts rebuilding (2020-2024)

ALA_5400 By Fr. Joseph Hung Instituto Salesiano, Macau, 14 June 2020 -- Founded in 1906, the first Salesian work in South China, the Instituto Salesiano, Macau (a primary and secondary school) is undergoing an extension construction projec...
    Date2020.06.15 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views1234 file
    Read More
  2. 5400(I)_The 6th Don Bosco Film Festival Winners

ALA_5400 Makati City, the Philippines, 14 June 2020 -- Owing to the Covid-19 pandemic, the award ceremony for the 6th Don Bosco Film Festival, scheduled on April 18, 2020, was cancelled. The situation remained unfavorable even in this mont...
    Date2020.06.15 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views526 file
    Read More
  3. 5399(III)_Missionary Group – Don Rua Postnovitiate, Dalat – Vietnam

ALA_5399 By Br Joseph Tien Dalat, Vietnam,, 12 June 2020 -- An example of the mission group from Vietnam: How did you join the missionary group in the postnovitiate? I took part in the missionary group from the first year in our post nov...
    Date2020.06.13 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views484 file
    Read More
  4. 5399(II)_Experience, dreams and expectations of our Past Pupils of Don Bosco in Sumba

ALA_5399 By Fr.Adie Laurensius PRINANTO, SDB INA Viceprovince Sumba, Indonesia. 13 June 2020 -- Here are notes of simple sharing with Sumba Don Bosco Past Pupils. Some of them attended the 'Vocational High School' (SMK) and some of them ar...
    Date2020.06.13 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views435 file
    Read More
  5. 5399(I)_THANK YOU PATIENT AND ZEALOUS Salesians

ALA_5399 By Br. Sylvester Kuli SDB Ratisbonne, Jerusalem, 13 June 2020 -- June 14, 2020 marks the 40th anniversary of the arrival of the first Salesians in Araimiri, PNG to start the first Salesian presence in Melanesia. Br. Sylvester Kuli...
    Date2020.06.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1134 file
    Read More
  6. 5398(II)_Good Mental Health Vital to Coping with COVID-19

ALA_5398 By Nigel Akuani Port Moresby PNG, 11 June 2020 -- A Mental Health Talk focused at helping people cope with the effects of COVID-19, was held on Wednesday 10th June from 10.30am to 12pm, at the Catholic Bishops Conference Headquart...
    Date2020.06.12 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views406 file
    Read More
  7. 5398(I)_Caritas Sisters' new missionary and vocation frontiers in 3 continents

ALA_5398 By Sr. Theodora Park Caritas Sister of Jesus Gulu - Uganda, 11 June 2020 -- On the 10th of June the Caritas Sisters of Jesus started their annual Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus before the upcoming Solemnity (June 19, 2020). T...
    Date2020.06.12 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views1145 file
    Read More
  8. 5397(V)_Countdown to 500th anniversary of the arrival of Christianity in the Philippines

ALA_5397 By CBCP News Maasin, Philippines, 10 June 2020 -- Bishop Prescioso Cantillas SDB presided at the Eucharist at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Maasin on 4 June to mark the start of the 300-day countdown to the 500th anniversary cel...
    Date2020.06.10 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views622 file
    Read More
  9. 5397(IV)_Miss Audrey Donnithorne, Extraordinary Laywoman, Salesian Parishioner, Lover of Don Bosco, R.I.P.

ALA_5397 By Fr. Lanfranco M. Fedrigotti, SDB Hong Kong, 9 June 2020 -- Miss Audrey Donnithorne died today, 9 June 2020, in Hong Kong, aged 97. She was born in 1922 in Sichuan Province (China) of a missionary couple of the Anglican Church M...
    Date2020.06.10 CategoryCIN Reply2 Views1177 file
    Read More
  10. 5397(III)_Missionary group promoting missionary vocation

ALA_5397 By Cl. Reynante Sabelita Missionary Group Seminaryo ng Don Bosco Paranaque, Philippiones, 10 June 2020 -- The Salesian Missionary Prayer Intention for the month of June 2020 calls our attention to the missionary groups, not yet ve...
    Date2020.06.10 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views452 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 ... 533 Next
/ 533