Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5258

20191125_GIA.jpg

Missionary Animation Wisdom 1992-2019

By Fr Achille Loro Piana

Tokyo, Japan, 23 November 2019 -- Interview with Fr Achille Loro Piana.

Yours has been a long journey of missionary animation. What are your 3 most treasured experiences?

The first experience was my first involvement in a meeting on a Missionary Animation at Bangalore in October 1992, invited by the then Councillor Fr Luciano Odorico to give a report on the experience that DBVG had had for the first time a few months earlier in Rabaul. (PNG). At that time I just used a word processor and not yet a computer. It was Fr Chrys Saldanha who wrote up my report with a PC. I then made up my mind that I should learn how to use a computer.

The second experience is to have seen almost all of our provinces in our beloved EAO (I have gone out of Japan around the region 59 times in 27 years, for meetings, volunteer work, retreats, pilgrimages). This made me nourish a great love for our (EAO) region, which is always in my heart and in my prayers. Actually my concern for the missionary work in the EAO is a pillar of my spiritual life. I feel I am very much a region-minded Salesian.

A third beautiful experience is the chance to have met some of the great missionaries in our region: Card. Zen, Fr. Acquistapace in Hong Kong, Fr. Nicosia in Macau. Bishop Capelli in Tetere and Gizo (Solomon Islands). Fr. Barbero Valeriano in PNG. Fr. Zago in Rabaul and Cebu. Fr. Facchinelli in Korea. Fr. Carbonell in Indonesia. Fr. Varengo and Bro. Quaranta in Australia. And this is just to mention a few. I also met a good number of young missionaries, specially from the Philippines, Viet Nam and India, who are doing great work to spread the Gospel in our EAO.

You have witnessed the steady progress of Missionary Animation (MA) in our region and in the whole congregation...how do you feel about it? 

Yes, I can say that there has been steady progress in MA in the region especially in the area of communication and formation. At Parañaque a good number of young confreres of the region have received and are receiving good Salesian formation: besides, over there they learn English and get many new friends. I feel happy for that. We can see the fruit in several provinces, especially in Viet Nam, Indonesia, East Timor, PNG and Solomon Islands, but also in Mongolia and Samoa. Unfortunately, the same thing cannot be said of my province. Especially thanks to BoscoLink and to the EAO Regional's meticulous care, communication in our region has reached a remarkable level.

EAO Missionary Animation Delegates have come together annually since 2014. What are the main fruits of this recent period?

It was not so before, but since 2014 the EAO missionary animation delegates gather every year in a convenient and nice venue of the region. Sihanoukville and Dili have been wonderful places for our meetings. The best fruits are the sharing of our experiences in MA and the friendship between the members. These fruits encourage us to be good mission animators in our provinces and provide each other with hints and ideas for our animation work. Another fruit is the presence in our provinces of missionary confreres and young volunteers from all over the region. Their presence enriches the provinces and keeps them spiritually united.

What are the challenges for Missionary Animation in the EAO?

I think that every province has to face its own peculiar challenges. Situation and atmosphere are different as the stone of a mosaic are different in color ad sides: but the picture of the EAO is that of a beautiful and loving region, rich of a great and promising variety of people and cultures. In my province I find difficult to make the confreres interested and involved in missionary animation.

What is important for the formation of newly-appointed Provincial Delegates for Missionary Animation (PDMA)?

Perhaps what is most important for a newly appointed PDMA is to foster interest and concern for others and for others’ problems. I see, especially in my province, that many confreres are really committed to their mission, but cannot think of anything else besides their own work. Besides, to be able to understand English and to express oneself in comprehensible English is a challenge that has been underlined also by Fr. MC George in our last meeting in Dili.

You have taken part in many regional meetings. (1082 flights). Any advice for the participants and moderators?

I have seen many and skillful moderators, but I was not able to become one. I have to apologize for that and I don’t think I can give any good advice. I really feel grateful to them for their skill, sacrifice and commitment.

Free sharing: dream or wish or prayer?

These recent years, at the end of our meetings, I always said good bye to participants saying: “and, as I said last time, this is the last time for me to show up……” But, who knows what’s going to happen next time? Anyway I pray for the birth of a good successor and I wish that in our meetings there might be also time for some pleasant jokes to cheer up the assembly, as we did in the meetings for translators (Dalat 2014) and for missionary animation (Sihanoukville 2018). A smile and good laughter are wonderful means to make the Good News “attractive”, as Pope Francis tells us when speaking of evangelization.

Related news article:

AustraLasia 5254 (II) EAO Mission Animation steadfast progress https://www.bosco.link/webzine/52820

20191125_GIA1.jpg

20191125_GIA2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5406(II)_Dream, Believe and Achieve

ALA_5407 Caritas Technical Secondary School: Celebrating 25 Years of Excellence By Rosene Apurado Port Moresby, PNG 23 June 2020 -- Caritas Technical Secondary School (CTSS) is an all-girls school that was founded by the Caritas Sisters of...
    Date2020.06.23 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1477 file
    Read More
  2. 5406_PNG – SI Mission celebration

ALA_5406 By Fr Albert Lenon sdb Vunabosco, Kokopo, PNG, 22 June 2020 -- DB Technical Secondary School, Kokopo celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Pioneering Salesians who arrived in Araimiri, Gulf province last June 05, 2020. The Missi...
    Date2020.06.22 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views681 file
    Read More
  3. 5405_Laos Salesian work begun by Past Pupil of Don Bosco

ALA_5405 By Mr Sanya Boonprasert Don Bosco Vientiane, Laos, 20 June 2020 -- Interview with Mr. Sanya Boonprasert Don Bosco Vientiane Founder Past Pupil of Don Bosco What is your family and Salesian educational background? I was born in R...
    Date2020.06.21 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views915 file
    Read More
  4. 5404_Attracted by the Love of God and exemplary Salesian Brothers

ALA_5404 By Interview with a Missionary Brother John Ka Long, Vietnamese missionary to Brazil - Manaus Sacro Cuore, Rome, 19 June 2020 -- It is almost 10 months after they arrived in Rome for the new missionary course. Due to various visa ...
    Date2020.06.19 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views612 file
    Read More
  5. 5403_Macau Bosco Youth Service Network Annual report 2019

ALA_5403 By Ms Jacqueline Leung Bosco Youth Service Network, Macau, China, 18 June 2020 -- As is the case every year, this June 2020 too, the Bosco Youth Service Network has released its 2019 Annual Report (download: Boscolink). Almost one...
    Date2020.06.18 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views615 file
    Read More
  6. 5402_Prayer-Promise of DB Past Pupils in 15 EAO languages

ALA_5402 By Fr Jose Pastor Ramirez Fernandez, SDB Former World Delegate for the DB Past Pupils RMG, 17 June 2020 -- One of the fruits of the recent World Congress of the Past Pupils Don Bosco (October 2015) are the new Statutes of their Wo...
    Date2020.06.17 CategoryEXDB Reply1 Views505 file
    Read More
  7. 5401(II)_Salesians celebrate 40 years of PNG presence

ALA_5401 Honouring the past, celebrating the present, envisioning the future By Fr Ambrose Pereira sdb and Rosemary Yambune Araimiri, Gulf Province, PNG, 16 June 2020 -- The Salesians of Don Bosco have celebrated four decades of Salesian p...
    Date2020.06.16 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views572 file
    Read More
  8. 5401(I)_A valuable tool for the EAO regional path: Boscolink

ALA_5401 EAO 16 June 2020 -- 18 years after the official establishment of the East Asia - Oceania (EAO) region after a decision of General Chapter 28 (March 2002), many of the EAO confreres may wonder about our short 'history'. Thanks to t...
    Date2020.06.16 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views754 file
    Read More
  9. 5400(IV)_Two in One: Delegate for the Salesian Cooperators and Past Pupils of Don Bosco

ALA_5400 By Mr. Niel Evangelista, GEX Hong Kong - Manila - Ho Chi Minh City - Rome, Sunday, 15 June -- A 90 minute sharing has taken place among the EAO leadership of the two largest lay groups of the Salesian Family. It involved Mr Philip...
    Date2020.06.15 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1071 file
    Read More
  10. 5400(III)_Salesian Cooperators Thailand: online retreat amid COVID 19

ALA_5400 "It was I who chose you, to go forth and bear fruit. Your fruit must endure." [Jn 15.16] By Mr Thanya Sirottanyachock Bangkok, Thailand, 15 June 2020 -- On 13 June 2020, the council of the Salesian Cooperators - Thailand organized...
    Date2020.06.15 CategoryASC Reply0 Views1204 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 ... 533 Next
/ 533