PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 810 Comment 0
ALA_5283

20191228_MON.jpg

Attracted by Project Africa poster - start of Missionary vocation

By Cl. Felix Almeida

Mumbai, India, 26 December 2019 -- Cl. Felix Almeida and his companion Cl. David Justin (this latter from AFW province) received their destination to Mongolia (VIE province) on 29 September during the 150th Salesian missionary expedition.

How did your faith and Salesian vocation journey begin?

My journey in the faith began in my family. It is here that I experienced and learnt what it means to love God and pray. However just like many young people I too had my own share of doubts and then I felt that God was just a figment of my imagination. I even spent a year and more as an agnostic. But as I look back I realize that it was the Lord who allowed this to happen only to find me closer to Him at the end.

My Salesian vocation journey began as an altar server back home in my Salesian Parish. I was blest with the presence of wonderful, generous and holy Salesians who helped me grow and nurtured this seed of the Salesian vocation.

What do you bring with you from the vibrant Catholic community in your home place - India?

I was blessed with this faith as a child, however I only realized the meaning and joy of this Christian vocation when it was challenged. I enjoyed my faith as a child reading the bible and the life of saints. Going to church and participating in the many activities that were organized I grew up in this beautiful and meaningful Catholic tradition. As I grew physically my spiritual growth was also taken care of. Thus, I feel obliged to say even though I believe that our faith is something deeply personal, it cannot grow and be understood better without a truly loving Christian community which supports and believes in the words of our Saviour.

What do you appreciate most in the Salesian mission in your homeland?

I was blessed to know and also lived for some time with Salesian missionaries who left their own country to let us know about the unconditional love of our Saviour. I must say that the confreres back in my province truly inspired me to work for the young and especially the poor. I am truly indebted to many of them for having inspired me and for even taking care of me and helping me grow in this conviction of working for the neediest. In particular I loved and enjoyed working in the YaR (Youth at Risk) apostolate.

How did you discern the Salesian missionary vocation ad gentes?

I can’t trace back precisely when I felt called to this call of the ‘ad gentes’, however when I look back and think of it, I still remember the day when I actually felt called to be a Salesian. It was during a camp, when I first entered the aspirantate and I remember being attracted to this poster ‘Project Africa’ stuck on the wall. I still feel the freshness of this episode in my life. There was something that happened with me and my poor vocabulary is insufficient to explain this very special event. So, to sum it up I feel that my Salesian vocation was never something different from my missionary vocation. In fact, I feel that the two aspects are embedded and are one for me.

Any expectations or dreams about your mission land of Mongolia?

Sincerely, when I heard for the first time about 'Mongolia' as my destination, I was a bit scared but it was accompanied with a deep sense of surrender knowing that it is the Lord who goes before me. And so just like Genghis Khan conquered the world I would say that this mission, the confreres and the people of Mongolia have already began conquering my heart. Here I also feel privileged to be a part of the Vietnam province which has given so many missionaries to our Salesian world. And so more than anything else I look forward to a wonderful experience of learning and growth.

20191228_MON1.jpg

20191228_MON2.jpg

20191228_MON3.jpg

20191228_MON4.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5444(I)_The Feeding of 5,000 Continues in DB Calauan

ALA_5444 By Mr. Charles O. Armario Calauan, Laguna, the Philippines, 13 August 2020 -- Matthew, a 7-year-old boy, gained two kilos after joining the feeding program a year ago. His father, who undergoes monthly dialysis, cannot provide for...
    Date2020.08.14 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views413 file
    Read More
  2. 5443(II)_Inspiring people through Media Education

ALA_5443 Personal sharing of Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SDB Part 2 Vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands, 13 August 2020 -- Involving young people ‘They say, ‘Young people are a strange lot, you ask them for little and they wi...
    Date2020.08.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views407 file
    Read More
  3. 5443(I)_Final Profession in Fiji

ALA_5443 “You received without cost, give without cost.” (Matt 10:8) By Fr. James Kyaw Hoe, SDB Don Bosco House, Nakasi (Suva), Fiji Islands, 12 August 2020 -- Brother Peter Minh Duc Nguyen had been preparing for his Final Profession for a...
    Date2020.08.13 CategoryAUL Reply0 Views683 file
    Read More
  4. 5442_Strenna 2021 Presentation: Moved by Hope

ALA_5442 RMG, Rome, 11 August 2020 -- The annual 'Strenna' (life and pastoral direction for the whole Salesian Family) for next year 2021 was presented in the message of the Rector Major posted on the web, dated 2 August 2020: MOVED BY HOP...
    Date2020.08.11 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views1108 file
    Read More
  5. 5441(IV)_Sustaining Our Vision of Hope

ALA_5441 Missionary thought for the 11th of the month By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councilor for Missions Sacro Cuore, Rome, 10 August 2020 -- We are living in a world that has broken down barriers of travel and communication. The s...
    Date2020.08.10 CategoryRMG Reply1 Views1014 file
    Read More
  6. 5441(III)_Perpetual Profession of Sr. Maria Domenica Mazzarello Eng Sarin in Cambodia

ALA_5441 By Sister Maria Elena Estacio, FMA Phnom Penh, Cambodia, 10 August 2020 -- Sister Maria Domenica Mazzarello Eng Sarin, a Cambodian member of the Daughters of Mary Help, made her perpetual profession at Don Bosco Teuk Thla School o...
    Date2020.08.10 CategoryFMA Reply0 Views466 file
    Read More
  7. 5441(II)_Fruitful online sharing: EAO and South Asia Past Pupils

ALA_5441 By our own correspondent EAO Region, 10 August 2020 -- The World Confederation of the Past Pupils of Don Bosco is not very well known to many SDBs and other Salesian Family groups. We are proud of the thousands of young people who...
    Date2020.08.10 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views420 file
    Read More
  8. 5441(I)_Farewell to Fr. John Ma - one of the Taiwan pioneers

ALA_5441 First Rector in Taiwan (1926-2020) By Fr. Lanfranco Fedrigotti Taipei, Taiwan, 9 August 2020 -- At about 14:00 hours on Friday, 07 August 2020, the Good Lord has called to himself our beloved 93-year-old Fr John Ma Yeong Ding (192...
    Date2020.08.10 CategoryCIN Reply0 Views775 file
    Read More
  9. 5440(III)_The World through a different lens

ALA_5440 Reflection of the COVID-19 lockdown By Clyde Dickson, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko DBTI, Port Moresby, PNG, 9 August 2020 -- COVID-19 has been the most terrifying time for me to be alive. It has been a similar experie...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views2282 file
    Read More
  10. 5440(II)_Segregate waste, for a better tomorrow

ALA_5440 By Dickson Clyde DBTI Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG 7 August 2020 -- Since the first lock down, the students of Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko have been under so much confusion and stress build up from the unknown circumsta...
    Date2020.08.09 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views14372 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 ... 536 Next
/ 536