?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5445

20200816_WOR.jpg

By our own correspondent

Bratislava, Slovakia, 14 august 2020 -- Among the 30 SDB provinces in Europe, Slovakia is probably the only one that still operates its own novitiate in Poprad (in some years with Czech or other East European countries). Tomorrow, 15 August 2020 the first profession of three young Salesians will take place - two candidates for the priesthood and one Salesian Brother. At the same time this dynamic province has lost two former provincials in 3 months - on 20 May 20 Fr. Jozef Izold (1964-2020) passed away, and on 22 August 12 the former provincial and former General Councilor for the Central and Northern Europe, Fr. Stefan Turansky (1956-2020) died suddenly. Our condolences and prayers go to Bratislava, where the funeral of Fr. Stefan will be held next Monday (August 17) at 10:30 a.m. in the Cathedral of St Martin, Bratislava.

At the same time it is meaningful to share an outstanding interview with one of the three newly professed Salesians - Br.Michal Žák , that was published by the Slovakian Catholic Bishops Conference Press Centre.

What impressed you about the Salesians that you have decided to take the first religious vows in this society?

I don't even know. It's a kind of juice, a scent that hangs in the air and it enchanted me while moving on with life. During adolescence at puberty, during college. It's like explaining to someone why you're in love. Why are you enchanted by a particular girl and not not like others?

Why the Salesians rather than others?

It's people. Salesians in individual communities and their life together. It's the most obvious thing to me. Reading about Don Bosco is great, but what embodies him in today's world is contact not with a Salesian individual, but with some context, with the community. I grew up in the Bratislava Salesian Centre in Trnávka, where I had the opportunity to perceive this intensely. Sometimes more critical, sometimes less, but here it was just something I was understanding.

Who was the first Salesian you met?

I inadvertently came into contact with the Salesians since baptism. My parents were married by Salesian Anton Srholec. I was baptized by Vincent Feledík. I had my first contact in Trnávka during the suburban camps, where I came as a six-year-old boy. I vaguely remembered Petr Bicák, who was in charge of the oratory at the time. A few years later, I was impressed at the meetings by Peter Hasidlo, who, as a student in formation, waved to the boys. There I liked a certain activity, but also honesty and discipline of life. As a university student, I went to try religious life in Nová Dubnica. It was a step on the way. I knew the Salesians from the pulpit, the sacristy, from meetings. However, it was different in the kitchen, at the dining table, conversations together. This experience was crucial for me. Here I found out what community religious life is.

So what made you choose to dedicate yourself to God in the Salesians?

While working out my profession, I realized that something deep was dormant inside me at the bottom of my heart. Like a person being sunbathed, I have found that I want to continue to be sunbathed by that sun. I've found that being in the sun makes a lot of sense. Gradually, I deepened my spiritual experience through prayer, during which I felt a certain quiet stream of attraction, enchantment, call, which I do not hear sometimes but other times I enjoy it.

When did you say you wanted to be a Salesian?

During adoration in spiritual exercises. It is good for a young man to go to the forest once in a while. So I spent a few days in such a forest. At the end of the adoration, I realized that I wanted to lay down my arms of distrust and hesitation and relax my trust in God. Although there were a thousand reasons why not after this decision . But I was ready for the momentary uncertainties that must be here. The process of discernment took a much longer time. However, I experienced the inner freedom that God, despite the people who accompany me, is saying, or when he shows me something. Those who accompanied me were not the ones who would send a signal. They just helped me adjust the antennas. But I always knew that if I backed off, I would become poorer. We only live one life. My generation grew up on computer games. We could save the game and go back to it later, but we have only one attempt at life!

You still had a somewhat individual career path. You completed your novitiate three years ago.

There is a very honest effort among the Salesians to distinguish a vocation. Young men go through several stages to make sure they hear God's call and not just some "hurray" effect. So after the novitiate, we, together with the master of the novitiate, decided that I still needed some time to mature and listen to the motivations. It's like an onion. One gradually reveals the individual layers, but it was still necessary to go deeper. I've been doing this for the last three years. Distinguishing my profession.

Weren't you disappointed that you didn't make religious profession as the others did three years ago?

My ego was disappointed. I had already thought about what the mark for the first promises would look like. I introduced people to that. Some felt that they had 'fired' me. It was not like that. I was given time to distinguish. It is important for young people to be accompanied. But few will afford it. I gradually relaxed in trusting God. I trusted him that the time he gave me was from him. I trusted it wasn't fiction or flight. Things came that confused me in confidence, but that's normal.

You graduated from College in that time?

I had studied architecture and urbanistics at the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava. Since I had enough time, I also studied graphic design at a post-secondary studio. I was able to soak up various crafts in the field of Visual Communications Graphics at the School of Design. The study of architecture was mainly about projects and deadlines. It is similar to distinguishing professions. One is faced with some tasks that it is good not to back off from.

Will you find such an education with the Salesians?

I'll be surprised. The Lord God wants to multiply our gifts one hundred to a thousandfold. But before that there must be a deposit that I will give everything to God. I want to be free from what I think, what my gifts and talents are. Maybe God wants to show me much more. I discovered the story of one Dominican, Jean-Marie Alain Couturier, OP, who lived in the early 20th century. Before entering the order, he studied painting in Paris. In the first years of religious life, he experienced a great crisis that he was neither a good monk nor a good painter. He later began to accompany painters and architects. Thanks to him, wonderful works were created. He laid the foundations of the Church's dialogue with contemporary art.

You have opted for religious life, but you do not want to be a priest.

I will make my first religious vows as a religious brother. In the beginning, a young man has the dilemma of becoming a priest or not a priest. In contact with Salesian spirituality, I 'smelled' the profession of a religious brother. I feel addressed by a non-priestly form of Salesian identity. It is not something anticlerical. I read that God gives me impulses and I want to be immersed in the world's reality. I wonder what it will be. And I suspect it will be a great adventure.

Do you know some Salesian Brothers in Slovakia? 30 years ago, the Brother was a man for everything (Factotum). Has that picture changed?

That's what I struggled with. I met my first Salesian Brother when I was 18 at the leaders formation. He was a young postnovice, who is now a missionary in Azerbaijan. My first doubt was that I was not manually skilled. I don't know electricity. I was worried if it was an obstacle. I talked to one Salesian Brother and he showed me that Brothers are professors at universities or spiritual guides. It was an impulse for me to see the diversity of the Salesian Brothers commitment. In my regular conversations with Br Rado in Trnávka, I discovered that this call was for me! And the priest is the priest. Each of us is different. Unity does not mean uniformity!

There will be no new novices in the Salesian Novitiate this year. Why no new professions? Are there fewer of them?

Research speaks of young people's emotional immaturity, late decision-making, or demographic crisis. You may need to ask the Lord God why it is. Maybe he doesn't want the Salesian society to continue? Or should professions be rarer? I do not know. God knows why and whom He calls in the 21st century.

Can Salesians reflect the needs of young people in the 21st century?

It's not catching up. It manages to reflect on the surface and the scenery for a while. However, the intensity of the heart's perception increases. A young person - I think - does not change. It was the same in the 19th century as it is now. Today, he may have more problems. Thus, the view can now focus on the essentials. On the heart. For spiritual life. We don't have to be on all social networks, in all projects. The Salesian understands the heart of a young man when he wants to.

What does a young man want today?

To experience that I am unconditionally loved and to love. To discover that he who loves me unconditionally is God the Father. When I am connected to the Father, I become a means of the Father's love for others. Today, however, as if we do not have time for love, we are chasing after .....performance. We exchange love for performance. We suffer from the "Valentinization" of love. This means that we will place a pink heart and pleasant feelings for love. The apostle Paul writes about love. When I live patience, I live love. When I live by not shutting down, I live love. When I live by not thinking of evil, I live by love. This is love. When we show this in our current culture, it can be revolutionary talk.

20200816_WOR1.jpg

20200816_WOR2.jpg

20200816_WOR3.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6176_District Meeting Confrères at Dalat on Salesian Identity and Mission 0

2. 6175_In Memoriam Fr. Valeriano Barbero SDB (1938 - 2023) 0

3. 6174_FIN Province Gathers to Pray for the Deceased Salesians 0

4. 6173_Don Bosco Cau Bong Community: Mass of prayer for the Deceased Salesians 0

5. 6172_A Youth Rosary for Vocations 0

6. 6171_Young Bosconians Radiate Global Spirit in UN Month Celebrations 0

7. 6170_Imploring Our Blessed Mother for Peace 0

8. 6169_Extraordinary Visitation Begins in Salesian Missionary House of Hong Kong 0

9. 6168_A human chain of Rosary Beads 0

10. 6167_Seminar on “Strengthening Christian Families” 0

List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 533 Next
/ 533