?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

20160708_PGS.jpg

By Fr Ambrose Pereira, SDB

Port Moresby, PNG, 8 July 2016 -- 21confreres of the soon to be erected Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands (PGS) vice-province have made their annual retreat at the Emmaus Conference Centre, Port Moresby, from the 3rd to 8th July, 2016.

Fr Mario Antonio Villegas Baclig sdb, much sought after and renowned youth animator based in Cebu City, Philippines preached a very inspiring retreat. The confreres – a mix of young and old – enjoyed every session which had as its theme – Remaining, Loving and Bearing fruit. “Every session was well prepared and gave the retreatants abundant matter for personal introspection and prayer”, said Fr Dominic Kachira.

Following the Lectio Divina process, relevant passages from scripture enabled the retreatants reflect on what is important to their lives and how they can be connected with Christ and bear much fruit to be Good Shepherds to the young. “Despite my limitations, I have the assurance that love and bearing fruit are the results of remaining with Christ,” said Br. Sylvester Kuli. “It has made me aware of the mercy of God and the need to form myself as a Good Shepherd for the young”, said Br Bernard Kaiau. “It has helped me realize that amidst my duties and responsibilities, the mercy of God needs to be experienced not just in the sacraments, but through my daily being”, reflected Fr Joseph Tinh.

The afternoon sessions aligning itself to GC27, enabling the participants reflect on their call to conversion, being mystics in the spirit, prophets of fraternity, servants of the young and above all one’s call to holiness. “It allowed everyone to walk with Christ, transforming them according to His standard”, said Fr Sonny Fajardo, Rector of the retreat. “The methodology and the topics drove me deeper into prayer” commented Fr Hearldo Bosquez.

Inspirational songs, thought provoking real life clips, and pertinent examples from the life of Don Bosco, Pope Francis and others brought home powerful messages for mediation and reflection. At the start of each afternoon conference, an article of the constitutions was read and reflected upon, setting a direction for the conference to follow. Commenting on our fear of entry into the digital world, the playground of the young today, the preacher has challenged us to respond in a significantly to the needs and the cries of the young.

The Sacraments and liturgy were creatively animated by the retreatants. The daily rosary followed by the traditional ‘good night’ gave the confreres a glimpse of the situation and works of the different houses of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands. The delicious meals, calm and peaceful atmosphere enabled every confrere reflect on their lived life and Salesian journey.

Fr Mario will also preach the second retreat for the confreres to commence on the 10th July.

The vice-province now prepares for the installation of Fr Peter Baquero sdb as its first Superior, on 9th July, 2016.

20160708_PGS1.jpg

20160708_PGS2.jpg

20160708_PGS3.jpg

20160708_PGS4.jpg

20160708_PGS5.jpg

20160708_PGS6.jpg