Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 771 Comment 0
ALA_5266

20191204_FIS.jpg

By Ms Karen Castigador

Cebu City, Philippines, 1 December 2019 -- Interview with former SALVO Volunteer, Ms Karen Castigador

How was your volunteer experience?

I would always consider my volunteer experience as something very valuable. It has set a pattern in my life to always want to keep on helping others in ways I can.

What was one of the greatest joys of the experience?

Seeing my students smile was my greatest joy. Being able to witness and share with their “aha moments” in class (Don Bosco Technical School in Phnom Penh, Cambodia) is a sight I would never want to miss.

What was one of the main challenges of the experience?

We teach them to learn the English language but ironically, communication (Khmer - English) was one of the biggest challenges I encountered in my experience.

What did you learn from your volunteer experience?

I learned that there is nothing better than having a kind and patient heart and passing it on. It is not enough to just have a kind heart, it would mean more if you learn to pass it on so everyone around get to have a heart like yours –a heart that desires to help others.

How has this experience impacted your life journey?

I feel that I had become a better person by volunteering and that only through volunteering can I fulfill my purpose for existence.

What does Don Bosco mean to you after this experience?

Don Bosco has always and will always be considered my mentor. Growing up guided by Don Bosco’s mission has inspired me to become a volunteer. And since I’m a volunteer myself, I can now turn it to a whole new level.

What can the message of Don Bosco offer the world today?

I always believe that Don Bosco wants us to live with his quote that says, “To the stars, through hardships”. But one needs not to undergo the hardship alone but with a companion. If only there would be more people volunteering, then so much more people could have been helped. The big problem is that everyone is so busy with their personal life that they forget about the importance of helping others.

20191204_FIS1.jpg

20191204_FIS2.jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5585(II)_"Music as a Way of Learning"

By THA SC Udonthani, Thailand, 12 March 2021 -- In the education of the young, Don Bosco gave importance to many aspects. One of these is 'Music'. Since the beginning of the youth center in Valdocco, Don Bosco put up a choir and a m...
    Date2021.03.18 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1762 file
    Read More
  2. 5585(I)_PNG: Life Matters

A Program for young people By Jessica Oata Boroko, Port Moresby, PNG, 17 March 2021 -- Young people form schools, colleges and youth groups attended the Life Matters Program, held at the Archdiocesan Shrine of Mary Help of Christians, Borok...
    Date2021.03.18 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1253 file
    Read More
  3. 5584(I)_Sixth Anniversary of martyrdom of Akash Bashir, Pakistani past pupil

By Sunil Iqbal Lahore Pakistan, 15 March 2021 -- Akash Bashir's final words as he was martyred were: "I will die but I will not let you to go". Pakistan's Salesian Community celebrated Mass on 15 March, the 6th Anniversary of the Ma...
    Date2021.03.16 CategoryPak. Reply0 Views813 file
    Read More
  4. 5583(III)_Letter from Cardinal Charles Bo SDB

The Vatican Secretary of State His Eminence Cardinal Pietro Parolin Appeals to Myanmar to Promote Peace Date: Yangon, 14 March 2021 Her Excellency Daw Aung San Suu Kyi His Excellency President U Win Myint His Excellency Senior General Min A...
    Date2021.03.15 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views1077 file
    Read More
  5. 5583(II)_Don't forget the suffering people of Myanmar

By our own correspondent Myanmar, 15 March 2021 -- Already 6 weeks after the military coup in Myanmar (Feb1, 2021) we could easily forget our suffering brothers and sisters in Burma (Myanmar). Although almost daily the international news ag...
    Date2021.03.15 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views718 file
    Read More
  6. 5583(I)_Monthly letter from EAO Regional, Fr Joseph Phuoc

By Fr. Joseph Nguyen Thinh Phuoc, SDB March 2021 Dear Superiors, Confreres, Members of the Salesian Family and Friends, I would like to greet all of you from the Generalate in Sacro Cuore, Rome. Today is the anniversary of the Rector Major&...
    Date2021.03.15 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views1312 file
    Read More
  7. 5582(IV)_The Rector Major's Second Action Guideline for the Congregation

By Fr. Ángel Fernández Artime, SDB Rome, 12 March 2021: The following is the newly translated text of the video just produced (initially in Italian with subtitles, but hopefully soon to be as a dubbed version using the followi...
    Date2021.03.13 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views923 file
    Read More
  8. 5582(III)_Don Bosco Pasil for a Greener Campus

By Taichi Miranda DB Pasil, Cebua, The Philippines, 12 March 2021 -- Since the beginning of the pandemic last year, the Salesian community in Don Bosco Pasil, Cebu City, Philippines has recreated this unprecedented times into a sustainable ...
    Date2021.03.13 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views1075 file
    Read More
  9. 5582(II)_RIP Fr Julien Jackers,a true hero of formation in 5 Salesian Regions

By Formation Sector, Rome Rome, 12 March 2021 -- Fr Julien Jackers, 76 years of age, passed away in Kenya. In the EAO region he was best known in Myanmar and in Timor Leste, but also through his work in formation (postnovitiate stage in 201...
    Date2021.03.13 CategoryWorld Reply0 Views770 file
    Read More
  10. 5582(I)_Araimiri - Another step towards quality grassroot education in the villages

By Fr. Joseph Thanh, SDB Herehere, Araimiri, Gulf Province PNG, 11 March 2021 -- On 8 March 2021, Father Gregory Bicomong, sdb, the provincial superior of the Blessed Philip Rinaldi PGS vice-Province, officially inaugurated the three brand ...
    Date2021.03.13 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1463 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 536 Next
/ 536