Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 677 Comment 0
ALA_5361

20200424_KOR2.jpg

By our own correspondent

Daejon, South Korea, 24 April 2020 -- After 10 years of Salesian novitiate experience in Naeri on the western seashore of South Korea, this stage of formation returned last January to the city of Daejon, where the novitiate was first opened in 1992. Today the Daejon community (Rector Fr Peter Choi kwang-seob) ,6 Salesian priests and 4 novices (Novice director Fr Felix Wee won-seok) is entrusted with one group home (Don Bosco house), Salesian Youth Center and Novitiate formation. While the whole Salesian setting is surrounded by the beautiful green of trees and hills.

The Salesian Youth Center is a large venue for Primary and Secondary school student human growth activities during the school year and for the Catholics is a weekend or summer & winter holiday venue for recollections and retreats. Being located at the center of the country, this community is also a venue for many provincial events, celebrations and gatherings. There are also two Salesian Cooperator centers attached to this SDB community and another FMA community, 'Nazareth House', in Daejon, a city of 1.5 million people and center of the Daejon diocese with 220,000 Catholics (6% of the 3.5 million population).

What makes this formation community special is the 24/7 life experience with youth in need (Don Bosco group home) and working together with one FMA community located within the Don Bosco compound. Aside from the ordinary novitiate prayers, work, sports, conferences, talks, various subjects of Salesian consecrated and apostolic life - our Korean novices have a daily opportrunity to assist our young people during recreation time.

How are our four novices (Francis, John of the Cross, Gabriel and John) growing in their Salesian vocation? What helps their growth on their vocation journey? We are grateful for their open and frank sharing:

"Since we have always lived and worked since the aspirantate with youth in need, we learn how to accompany these youngsters. Most of them have never really experienced a caring family and parents. When I received a thank-you letter from some of them, I'm energized on my vocation journey: 'Thanks to you, Brother, I'm growing daily'.

"I have experienced some difficulties on my vocation journey, when being confronted by our difficult young people. However a simple invitation from one Dae-rim-dong boy: "I hope you will soon conclude your military service and be amongst us as soon as possible" - was a decisive push to overcome my cloud of doubts whether to continue or not... Also the family spirit and trust I have received since my high school vocation gatherings by young Salesians, keeps me growing on my vocation journey."

"During my military service holiday I was able to confirm my way of meditation learnt in the aspirantate during the 8 day retreat. Another experience also during the military service, when on the 'Choice' program, when I realized, that most of my talks is about 'Salesians'. That time I recognized that I'm already a member of the Salesians. Also the Salesian family spirit felt in our prayer moments is a strong motivation on my vocation journey."

"I can recognize various experiences of when and how my vocation is growing: When I'm able to overcome a relationship with a difficult confrere in prayer; when I'm able to overcome a difficult moment in my personal life, in prayer; when I'm able, through counselling, to recognize my past hurts and face them with calm in my prayer, finally I feel that my vocation is growing through daily meditation and daily celebration of the Eucharist."

Let's be inspired by the simplicity and open sharing of our novices. Indeed the gift of vocation needs a life-long response, to grow in our daily life. Today we may say one Hail Mary for the 430 Salesian novices worldwide and especially for the 52 novices in our EAO region.

20200424_KOR201.jpg

20200424_KOR202.jpg

20200424_KOR203.jpg

20200424_KOR204.jpg

20200424_KOR205.jpg

20200424_KOR206.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6226_Thailand: Cantata 2023

By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand, 11 December 2023 -- On the night of 4 December 2023, Fr. Dheparat Pitisant, the pastor of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus Parish, Huahin, organized the Christmas Concert 2023 with the "St. Theresa English Choir"....
    Date2023.12.11 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1242 file
    Read More
  2. 6225_“My Life for My Sheep”: Priestly ordination Myanmar

By Fr. A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 11 December 2023 -- On 8 December 2023, as the Vice-Province of Myanmar celebrated the feast day of the Immaculate Conception and the birthday of the Salesian Congregation, it was blessed with t...
    Date2023.12.11 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views934 file
    Read More
  3. 6224_Incarnated for our Salvation!

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 10 December 2023 -- The Creed we recite every Sunday resounds in a special way as we approach Christmas: “For us and for our salvation he … was incarnate of the V...
    Date2023.12.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views984 file
    Read More
  4. 6223_Religious professions of Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Japan - 2023

By Sister Monica HAMASAKI Caritas Sisters of Jesus, Tokyo, Japan, December 8, 2023 -- The Salesian Family of the Province of Japan is pleased to announce: “On December 8, 2023, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, two siste...
    Date2023.12.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1295 file
    Read More
  5. 6222_A Call for a Vibrant Parish

By Lucy Napitalai Port Moresby, PNG, 5 December 2023 -- There is an ever-increasing need to bring those who are lost especially in the local communities into the church, to maintain and increase the commitment of those already in the church...
    Date2023.12.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1175 file
    Read More
  6. 6221_Viet Nam: formation course for Salesians between the ages of 50 and 60

By Viet SocCom K'Long, Vietnam, 4 December 2023 -- Regular formation days for Salesians aged 50-60 of the Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam opened on the afternoon of 29 November at the K'Long Retreat Center and ended on the af...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1008 file
    Read More
  7. 6220_A Sacred Journey: Bosconians celebrate First Holy Communion

By CYM correspondence Cebu, Philippines, 4 December 2023 -- In a joyous ceremony on 2 December 2023 at the Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, a total of 66 Bosconian students, spanning grades 3, 4, 5, and 9, celebrated a significan...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views396 file
    Read More
  8. 6219_50 years of priesthood

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 4 December 2023 -- Fr. Patrick Maccioni, Fr. Philip Somchai Kitnichi, and Fr. Anthony Restelli celebrated their 50th year as a priest on 2 December 2023 at St. John Bosco Church - Bangkok in the midst of the Sal...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views619 file
    Read More
  9. 6218_EAO Musicians and Composers Meeting

By Fr. Keith J. Amodia, SDB EAO, 4 December 2023, Zoom -- On December 1, 2023, 15 musicians and composers from the East Asia-Oceania region gathered together in a virtual meeting through Zoom. The meeting was called by the Social Communicat...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views409 file
    Read More
  10. 6217_Unforgettable: The Land of the Unexpected

Reflections of our experience at the Rectors’ Meeting By Fr. Jojo Garcia Port Moresby, PNG 1 December 2023 -- Papua New Guinea, the land of the unexpected, welcomed delegates from six different countries in the most unexpected way. Af...
    Date2023.12.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1065 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 533 Next
/ 533