?

Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
Views 664 Comment 0

202110_PGS-(0).jpg

By Christopher Lee, volunteer at Vunabosco, Kokopo

Kokopo, Rabaul, East New Britain, PNG, 26 October 2021 -- As the date of my departure from Papua New Guinea back to America draws ever closer, my thoughts begin to wander over my time spent here. Being a lay volunteer from the United States, I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting into when I first arrived, but I feel certain now that no amount of talking or seminars could have prepared me for what I was getting into when I first stepped off the plane in Port Moresby.

Ah, Port Moresby, my first taste of PNG culture... While driving from the airport to my quarantine site at the Emmaus Center at DBTI, I was confused why all the cars had heavily tinted windows, some with bars across them even. It was then that I learned about PNG’s problem with rascalism, which eventually led into a discussion of the Wantok culture and the complexities many PNG natives’ faced transitioning from village life to city life. Upon my arrival at the Emmaus Center, my mandatory fourteen-day quarantine began, which ended up being a blessing in disguise as it gave me ample time for prayer and reflection. I can’t help but be reminded of Jesus’ forty days in the desert before He undertook His public ministry, and although I’m certainly no Jesus, I do believe it helped prepare me for what I was about to undergo.

When I finally made it to the Don Bosco Technical Secondary School (DBTSS), Kokopo, East New Britain, I was startled by the breathtaking beauty of the area. From coral filled coast lines to verdant forests wild with various plant life, I was constantly amazed by the pristine views that seemed to jump out at me no matter where I looked. School life, however, was not quite as tranquil as I would soon find out. Upon the day of my arrival, our school was in the midst of a feud with a nearby school, started by an episode of cyberbullying. I had always assumed cyberbullying to be a mostly harmless affair with only mildly hurt feelings as a result, but as I saw boys preparing quite literally to go to war, I realized just how destructive the improper use of social media could be. This altercation was resolved within the next three weeks, but it really opened my eyes to the positive and negative aspects of the Wantok culture, and just how strongly it was adhered to by the people of PNG.

It was about the time that this unfortunate circumstance was being settled that I first started teaching religious education at DBTSS. On top of this, I also supervised the boarding students during their chores period, and it was while performing these two duties that I learned what I feel to be the most important lesson I acquired here in PNG. By nature, I’m a very gentle person and avoid conflict if possible, so disciplining students was always a concept that I abhorred. Thus, if students would refuse to participate in class or slack off during chore time, I would only give a mild word of correction and continue regardless of whether the student changed their behavior. I tried to justify this initially, telling myself that I was "being merciful" and "the type of teacher Don Bosco would want me to be". But as the boys’ whose conduct I oversaw slowly went from bad to worse, I realized that perhaps I needed to rethink my strategy. After discussing the issue with different teachers and community members, I came to the opinion that mercy taken too far, and out of the context of justice, is no longer mercy, but rather a license for bad behavior and a detriment to personal development. I also took the issue to prayer and was consoled as both the Gospels and the letters of the New Testament reaffirmed that the father who loves his child rules with mercy above all, but also with a firm hand on justice. That is not to say I became a strict, authoritarian teacher over night, but I began to take steps towards more sternly correcting bad behavior in a spirit of reason, religion, and kindness. Although I’m still far from certain as to what ratio of justice to mercy I should take in each situation, I feel that I’ve at least made considerable headway in the matter.

In addition to these significant events during my time here in PNG, I have also experienced countless blessings of consolation, fellowship, and character-building trials that have helped develop me further into the type of man I hope and pray God desires me to be. What God has taught me during this time, I would also like to share with all of you: no matter where you go, whether down the street or across the world, keep an open heart. Open to experiences, the good and the bad, because there’s something important to be learned in them all. Open to the new, the different, the strange, and scary. It is only when we strain against our comfort boundaries or break them entirely that we open ourselves to growth. Open your heart to God’s will, and it will be filled from the Heart He has opened for you. Whether I will ever come back to PNG again is known to God alone, but I thank Him and everyone I have met here deeply for this blessed opportunity.

202110_PGS4-(0).jpg

20211026_PGS4-(1).jpg

20211026_PGS4-(2).jpg

20211026_PGS4-(3).jpg

Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 6226_Thailand: Cantata 2023

By THA SC Hua Hin, Thailand, 11 December 2023 -- On the night of 4 December 2023, Fr. Dheparat Pitisant, the pastor of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus Parish, Huahin, organized the Christmas Concert 2023 with the "St. Theresa English Choir"....
    Date2023.12.11 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views1242 file
    Read More
  2. 6225_“My Life for My Sheep”: Priestly ordination Myanmar

By Fr. A. Maung Maung, SDB Anisakan, Myanmar, 11 December 2023 -- On 8 December 2023, as the Vice-Province of Myanmar celebrated the feast day of the Immaculate Conception and the birthday of the Salesian Congregation, it was blessed with t...
    Date2023.12.11 CategoryMYM Reply0 Views934 file
    Read More
  3. 6224_Incarnated for our Salvation!

By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 10 December 2023 -- The Creed we recite every Sunday resounds in a special way as we approach Christmas: “For us and for our salvation he … was incarnate of the V...
    Date2023.12.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views984 file
    Read More
  4. 6223_Religious professions of Caritas Sisters of Jesus in Japan - 2023

By Sister Monica HAMASAKI Caritas Sisters of Jesus, Tokyo, Japan, December 8, 2023 -- The Salesian Family of the Province of Japan is pleased to announce: “On December 8, 2023, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception of Mary, two siste...
    Date2023.12.10 CategoryGIA Reply0 Views1295 file
    Read More
  5. 6222_A Call for a Vibrant Parish

By Lucy Napitalai Port Moresby, PNG, 5 December 2023 -- There is an ever-increasing need to bring those who are lost especially in the local communities into the church, to maintain and increase the commitment of those already in the church...
    Date2023.12.05 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1175 file
    Read More
  6. 6221_Viet Nam: formation course for Salesians between the ages of 50 and 60

By Viet SocCom K'Long, Vietnam, 4 December 2023 -- Regular formation days for Salesians aged 50-60 of the Salesian Province of Don Bosco Vietnam opened on the afternoon of 29 November at the K'Long Retreat Center and ended on the af...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryVIE Reply0 Views1008 file
    Read More
  7. 6220_A Sacred Journey: Bosconians celebrate First Holy Communion

By CYM correspondence Cebu, Philippines, 4 December 2023 -- In a joyous ceremony on 2 December 2023 at the Archdiocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes, a total of 66 Bosconian students, spanning grades 3, 4, 5, and 9, celebrated a significan...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views395 file
    Read More
  8. 6219_50 years of priesthood

By THA SC Bangkok, Thailand, 4 December 2023 -- Fr. Patrick Maccioni, Fr. Philip Somchai Kitnichi, and Fr. Anthony Restelli celebrated their 50th year as a priest on 2 December 2023 at St. John Bosco Church - Bangkok in the midst of the Sal...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views619 file
    Read More
  9. 6218_EAO Musicians and Composers Meeting

By Fr. Keith J. Amodia, SDB EAO, 4 December 2023, Zoom -- On December 1, 2023, 15 musicians and composers from the East Asia-Oceania region gathered together in a virtual meeting through Zoom. The meeting was called by the Social Communicat...
    Date2023.12.04 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views409 file
    Read More
  10. 6217_Unforgettable: The Land of the Unexpected

Reflections of our experience at the Rectors’ Meeting By Fr. Jojo Garcia Port Moresby, PNG 1 December 2023 -- Papua New Guinea, the land of the unexpected, welcomed delegates from six different countries in the most unexpected way. Af...
    Date2023.12.01 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1065 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 533 Next
/ 533