NextNext Article

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print Attachment
ALA_5501

20201104_PGS2.jpg

By Nigel Akuani, 

Rosemary Yambune 

and Fr. Ambrose Pereira, SBD
Photographs: Francis Gemo, DBTI, Boroko

Gabutu, Port Moresby, PNG, 4 November 2020 -- 220 participants from the Salesian Institutions in Port Moresby gathered at Don Bosco Technical School, (DBTS) Gabutu, for the yearly celebration of WANTOK BOSCO 2020. The fun filled faith and formation event had the participation of young people from Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko, Caritas Technical Secondary School, Boroko and Mary Help of Christians Parish, Sabama.

The theme for the event was the Strenna for 2020: ‘Good Christians and Upright citizens.’ Caring for the environment, learning to manage waste using the 3Rs (Reducing, reusing and recycling), experiencing and participating in intense moments of prayer were objectives that the participants dwelt on and engaged with while at the program.

Interactive group sessions by the speakers kept the participants attentive. Sessions dwelt on the theme, the documents of the Holy Father and opened the participants to possible outreach activities. Concrete resolutions of caring and protecting the environment was the highlight of the event. Participants have taken on the task of planting trees and caring for them down the years.

Group building activities gave the participants the opportunity to interact with each other and connect with like-minded persons who are deeply interested in witnessing to their faith. Practical activities harnessed their creative talents and enabled the participants to turn waste materials into something useful. Moments of prayer, the rosary and reflections were occasions to help the participants deepen their connection with God and celebrate their faith through the sacraments.

The loving animating presence of the Salesians, the sisters and facilators highlighted the family spirit. The event was made special by the presence of Fr. Alfred Maravilla, Councillor for the Missions and of Fr. Gregorio Bicomong, Provincial. The animators at the different sessions were Fr Alex Garces, Youth Ministry Delegate; Mr Martin Dai, DBTS Principal; Fr Ambrose Pereira, CBC SOCOM Secretary; Fr Srimal Priyanga, PGS Economer and Mr. Clement Kemokemo.

The well-planned event was organized and coordinated by Fr Pedro Sachitula, Rector of Don Bosco Technical School together with the dedicated Pastoral Team of the school. It concluded with the Eucharistic celebration on the Solemnity of All Saints. According to Fr. Pedro Sachitula, Rector of DBTS, the sessions for the entire camp were crafted to educate and involve students and the general public to develop firm convictions about the need to take care of the environment. “As a way of living and coexisting with the environment, we need to learn ways of managing our waste through reducing, reusing and recycling,” he said.

Comments from the participants:

"The most significant moment of the Wantok Bosco were the talks and reflections. I was enlightened by the session on Laudato Si and Fratelli Tutti” - Theresa, Sabama

"The 3R activities were most significant experiences of the camp as I realized that I can turn trash into something useful" - Ernest Ovia, Don Bosco Technological Institute, Boroko

"I enjoyed the content of the talks and above all the group sharing" - Mecklyn Okil, Pari

"I was touched by the motivational talk of Fr. Srimal on Youth and solidarity" - Ryan Miwasa, Gabutu Youth group.

“The walk to Ela Beach gave us the chance to reflect and appreciate the environment. We picked up rubbish lying in the streets and disposed of it in bins. It is my hope that this will become our daily practice”, said Ms Vanessa Siori, Student Animator of Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu.

"I enjoyed the entire program, especially meeting new people. I learned a lot from the 3R challenge” - Amy Kapil, Caritas.

"The moments of prayer, the Rosary, the silence and the Mass on Sunday were very significant highpoints for me” - Emmanuel A, Don Bosco Technical School, Gabutu.

WANTOK Bosco is a yearly gathering in the vice Province of Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands (PGS). It brings together catholic participants for a celebration of their Catholic faith in the style and manner of the Bosco Way. Solomon Islands has its own celebration due to distance and travel. Participants look forward to the event as the climax of the Salesian Youth Ministry of the entire year.

20201104_PGS201.jpg

20201104_PGS202.jpg

20201104_PGS203.jpg

20201104_PGS204.jpg

20201104_PGS205.jpg

20201104_PGS206.jpg

20201104_PGS207.jpg

20201104_PGS208.jpg
Attach

Drag and drop your files here, or Click attach files button.

Maximum File Size : 0MB (Allowed extentsions : *.*)

0 file(s) attached ( / )

1. 5670(II)_Salesian Brothers and two novices at Sandor community

Sandor Community - Paranaque (Manila), The Philippines, 14 August 2021 -- During the pandemic in many parts of the Salesian world some 'extraordinary' or 'temporary' novitiates have been established due to the travel restric...
    Date2021.08.13 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views628 file
    Read More
  2. 5670(I)_Gifted to Give

By FIN-FIS Communication Offices Philippines, 13 August 2021 -- The year 2021 marks the 500th anniversary of Christianity in the Philippines, a nation that has been “Gifted to Give.” This same year also recalls the 70th annivers...
    Date2021.08.13 CategoryFIN Reply0 Views1304 file
    Read More
  3. 5669(IV)_China province focus on Young Don Bosco Past Pupils (GEX)

By CIN Federation, Past Pupils of Don Bosco Hong Kong, China, 11 August 2021 -- On 1 August 2021, the Hong Kong, China Federation of Don Bosco Past Pupils held the 2019-2020 Annual Generation Meeting (AGM) at the St Louis School. 7 Chairmen...
    Date2021.08.11 CategoryEXDB Reply0 Views743 file
    Read More
  4. 5669(III)_EAO Don Bosco Green Alliance ready for the Season of Creation 2021

By EAO Don Bosco Green Alliance Eco Team EAO, 11 August 2021 -- The monthly (almost regular since December 2020) meeting of the DB Green Alliance East Asia-Oceania ECO TEAM was held on 10 August 2021 with the participation of 30 representat...
    Date2021.08.11 CategoryEAO Reply0 Views951 file
    Read More
  5. 5669(II)_Rise up! Stay positive amidst COVID-19

International Short Film Festival 2021 By Mary McCarthy pbvm and Jessica Oata Port Moresby, PNG 10 August 2021 -- The International Short Film Festival (ISFF21) staged on 7 August 2021 at the Paradise Theatre, Vision City, was a truly amazi...
    Date2021.08.11 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views630 file
    Read More
  6. 5669(I)_Sisters of the Queenship of Mary Share Joy In the Time of Covid-19

By SQM SC Ubonratchathani, Thailand, 10 August 2021 -- In the midst of the Covid-19 crises which is continuously getting graver by the day in Thailand, clearly affecting the daily life of the people, the Salesian Family of Thailand has not ...
    Date2021.08.11 CategoryTHA Reply0 Views907 file
    Read More
  7. 5668(III)_Forming Our Lay Mission Partners

Missionary Message for the 11th of the month of August 2021 By Fr. Alfred Maravilla SDB General Councillor for Missions RMG, 10 August 20210 -- Through the Sacrament of Baptism, all Christians are part of the people of God and share in the ...
    Date2021.08.10 CategoryRMG Reply0 Views723 file
    Read More
  8. 5668(II)_Reflection on Don Bosco Celebrations - August 2021

EAO Region, 10 August 2021 -- In the Southern Hemisphere the Salesian Family for obvious reasons (summer holidays and school vacations in January) celebrates the 'Don Bosco Month' usually in August. Not only in PGS Viceprovince (PNG...
    Date2021.08.10 CategoryEAO Reply1 Views1057 file
    Read More
  9. 5668(I)_Tetere Christ the King - Faith Formation for youngsters

By Fr. Parappilly Robinson, SDB Tetere, Solomon Islands, 10 August 2021 -- "Bosco Teens" (Sunday School children) of the Salesian parish of Tetere Christ the King celebrated three days of faith formation from 6th to 8th August. Almost 300 c...
    Date2021.08.10 CategoryPGS Reply0 Views1123 file
    Read More
  10. 5667_FIN & FIS Unified-A First: Salesian Educators' Hub Launched

By Fr. Rooney John Undar, SDB Don Bosco Technical Institute, Victorias City, The Philippines, 9 August 2021 - On August 7, 2021, history has been made when Don Bosco schools from all over the Philippines virtually gathered for the first Sal...
    Date2021.08.09 CategoryFIS Reply0 Views768 file
    Read More
List
Board Pagination Prev 1 ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... 537 Next
/ 537